ADVERTISEMENT

Aren't the New NIL Rules Just An Invitation for Boosters to Pay Players to Attend a School?

What Would Jesus Do?

Hall of Famer
Nov 28, 2010
Someone please explain to me how this doesn't send us back to the bad old days when "everybody knew" the boosters were paying kids to go to their preferred school.

Someone please explain to me how this doesn't send us back to the bad old days when "everybody knew" the boosters were paying kids to go to their preferred school.
It's still illegal to do so. I'm wondering though, exactly what point did it stop? It seems like the FBI proved that it never stopped. The NIL rules will certainly help to take away the need for a kid to accept money under the table though.

Ok, so NIL is here and it is not going away so like it or not, it is the new reality. But is it all bad, could there actually be a upside to NIL for college fans? Consider this:

We have had a lot of guys leave us early that were marginal NBA types, guys that would at best come off NBA bench or a couple years before they become G-league shortly followed by over seas play. Darn good living for sure but I personally have seen several that IMO would have been better served by developing more in the college game before entering the draft. Everyone seems to think in terms of a NBA pay check and that is a ton of cash for sure but there has always been another aspect of playing pro ball that rivals the NBA pay check and that is the endorsement deals those that left the college game could engage in. What is the real key for getting big time endorsement deals, building your following, building your brand is what makes you marketable.

Now where would you think a kid could really find himself loved by fans at larger and very rabid numbers, in the G league or playing big time college games on national TV (UNC vs duke for example). Would not surprise me at all for many of these kids that would look to leave early to find out they can make better money staying in college and doing NIL deals than they would make playing G league. They would very likely get more court time and be able to mature both themselves as men as well as their game. NIL could keep them in school longer as opposed to taking them out to soon as has been the case for a few years now.

I would feel much better about the new rules if they would investigate and penalize the schools that were guilty. If UNc was ran as clean as they claim, then seeing all the crap from before with other schools, and nothing ever enforced. Yet we went thru a multiyear anal probe over speculation. It hurt this program. Yet all proof in the world for others and nothing happens.

I think roy would have retired sooner had we not endured what we did

I feel like an old man, but I'm only in my 40's. This is why Roy left. College sports have been changed forever. Any college basketball player in a power 5 conference who has playing time will make hundreds of thousands of dollars; maybe more. 18-19 year old kids will be coming to practice from their purchased houses in their expensive cars. If they are made to run until they puke and don't get to play because they can't run a mile in a certain time, they can transfer out to another school with a coach that will not make them. Players that make really large dollars may stay longer; which may be a good thing, or may be a bad thing. College athletes in basketball and football are now in a farm system.

I am not saying I won't watch, but the product will be different. Making kids go to class and make grades is going to be even harder. I hope I am over reacting, but I think there is just as much of a chance that I am under reacting.

Could help the level of talent in the game immensely. Prospects with pro potential ( NBA or overseas) not being prohibited from earning money may start to see spending a year or two more developing on campus as a sensible option. It still will limit the service time part, but it is not a wasted year of earning potential in what is a highly competitive global industry, with a very small earning window..

I would feel much better about the new rules if they would investigate and penalize the schools that were guilty. If UNc was ran as clean as they claim, then seeing all the crap from before with other schools, and nothing ever enforced. Yet we went thru a multiyear anal probe over speculation. It hurt this program. Yet all proof in the world for others and nothing happens.

I think roy would have retired sooner had we not endured what we did
Trust me on this, K not being at duke after next season, Sheyer will not get the love or protection from the NCAA or game refs that K got. He has to earn the free passes K got...

In truth, the NCAA hasn't really been able to control booster involvement for years. They just finally decided to stop the charade and make everything legal. But this will end an amusing part of message boards. Every schools message board is often riddled with the posts about how everybody else cheats, and their school is the only one that is pure as the driven snow. In their hearts, only the truly naive believe that for one instant. It has been the wild, wild, west in recruiting for a long time. Now it is legal. One less thing to worry about.

In truth, the NCAA hasn't really been able to control booster involvement for years. They just finally decided to stop the charade and make everything legal. But this will end an amusing part of message boards. Every schools message board is often riddled with the posts about how everybody else cheats, and their school is the only one that is pure as the driven snow. In their hearts, only the truly naive believe that for one instant. It has been the wild, wild, west in recruiting for a long time. Now it is legal. One less thing to worry about.
So are you saying that UNC just paid cash for Washington, Trimble, Garcia, etc....

Trust me on this, K not being at duke after next season, Sheyer will not get the love or protection from the NCAA or game refs that K got. He has to earn the free passes K got...
It wasn't just K. There is no way some of those schools had been on the up and up. If the NCAA didnt monitor that, then how will they ever monitor todays enviorment?

Reactions: JimmyinVA
It wasn't just K. There is no way some of those schools had been on the up and up. If the NCAA didnt monitor that, then how will they ever monitor todays enviorment?

Schools can not directly pay student athletes. Endorsements will be key...

I feel like an old man, but I'm only in my 40's. This is why Roy left. College sports have been changed forever. Any college basketball player in a power 5 conference who has playing time will make hundreds of thousands of dollars; maybe more. 18-19 year old kids will be coming to practice from their purchased houses in their expensive cars. If they are made to run until they puke and don't get to play because they can't run a mile in a certain time, they can transfer out to another school with a coach that will not make them. Players that make really large dollars may stay longer; which may be a good thing, or may be a bad thing. College athletes in basketball and football are now in a farm system.

I am not saying I won't watch, but the product will be different. Making kids go to class and make grades is going to be even harder. I hope I am over reacting, but I think there is just as much of a chance that I am under reacting.
I worry about what you are saying. But, theses kids will have to understand that playing time and performing well will increase their worth. Not making the grades will end it. Not practicing hard equals not performing well. If they are smart they will do all the right things so that they can be on the floor and playing their best. That will equal money.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
Wrap your mid around this the NCAA has been worthless and will remain worthless, they knew about the cheating, they just picked the programs they would not look at no matter what and unfortunately they picked UNC as a big time program they wanted to punish for infractions that were not NCAA violations, unlike what was going on at programs like duke, Ky, Arizona, and Kansas.

Reactions: Grayhead
So are you saying that UNC just paid cash for Washington, Trimble, Garcia, etc....

An example of the naive. Do any of these schools show up with a bag of money on the front porch like in Blue Chips? No. But don't even think of believing that any school in Power 5 football, or basketball, lived totally within the rules. It doesn't happen.

Reactions: dtodd4475
An example of the naive. Do any of these schools show up with a bag of money on the front porch like in Blue Chips? No. But don't even think of believing that any school in Power 5 football, or basketball, lived totally within the rules. It doesn't happen.
Can assure you that part of our recruiting involves NIL discussions (any program that does not get in to the NIL discussion with their recruits is behind the curve.

Money has found its way to our players as is the case with pretty much every NCAA program. The sketchy part is how much involvement coaching staffs had in funneling money to recruits. I do not believe that Roy was ever involved in funneling money to kids to play for him. When you see a instate recruit that grew up a Tar Heel fan, had Tar Heel posters on his bed room wall and Roy could not even get him to visit and yet he ends up playing for Ky? You know money is not just involved, big money has traded hands.

Now NIL should equalize out because every program either now has or will have very shortly someone in staff involved with NIL so that these kids not only realize they can get paid but how to do so ABOVE BOARD and not have eligibility issues. I am not sure if the school can participate in the actual arranging NIL ops, I think they may be able to at least to some degree.

I have shared this in the past but I really believe a lot of these kids that leave early do so because the classes they are taking is not really all that interesting to them. I think schools should develop a degree program that caters to the needs of athletes on scholly. How to handle picking the right agents, what to look for in endorsement deals, ways to work out to maximize their potential in their sport of choice as just a few examples. Just things that these kids have to face that will be of interest to them. What help does a AFAM degree do for a kid like Bacot, what good does a sociology degree do for a kid like Zion, do you really believe Dennis Smith will ever consider becoming a park ranger?

Kids SHOULD get, they in truth should have always got class credit for the time they have to put in to get ready for their season, for actually playing in games. I had PE every year of high school, I got grade credit for playing sports in PE class. There is no good reason these kids must put in all the time they do to both prep for their sport, in many cases rehab because they got hurt playing a sport for their school or actually playing in games and get no class credit for it.

The weird thing is that athletes were prohibited from doing things any other student could do. Which didn't make sense. For example, they could run a twitch stream and get donations because they play a spot. Didn't make a lot of sense.

Reactions: tarheel0910
So, are you gonna answer the question?

I have wondered the same thing as the OP. I think it is a real possibility for this to spiral out of control as the HAVES just Entice players to come to big pockets U. There are apparently rules and guidelines to prevent this BUT who the hell knows and is the NCAA gonna police this?? LOL!!!!!

We are in a new world and NO ONE knows where this is headed. Part of me thinks this is a bit of a fad and companies ,corps etc will look at the ROI and see that all this marketing and promotion is not paying off. We shall see but there real concerns about all of this.

Well I am 51 years old so I have enjoyed a good run of college sports. Now I will just sit back and laugh as this whole thing becomes a total dumpster fire.

No change in the HAVE'S (like Bama) getting the cream of the crop and the others getting the left overs.

How NIL shakes out, will be interesting to say the least. In college hoops it may revive it a bit, with star level talent sticking around a bit longer to develop, since they get to earn from their talents.

We are in a new world and NO ONE knows where this is headed. Part of me thinks this is a bit of a fad and companies ,corps etc will look at the ROI and see that all this marketing and promotion is not paying off. We shall see but there real concerns about all of this.
100% agree on the ROI part. It's a guessing game right now for all these businesses and they are rushing to the players to make sure they get there first in case it works out well for them. I think once this all shakes out in a few years, you'll see the amount of businesses giving out contracts go down and/or the amount of money go down.

No change in the HAVE'S (like Bama) getting the cream of the crop and the others getting the left overs.
Yep. These guys are going to these bluebloods for the same reasons they were already going to these bluebloods. They can make money where ever they go because they are big time names. Zion or Trever Lawrence would have made plenty of money playing at a community college. They don't have to go to a blueblood for money. They are going there to win.
How NIL shakes out, will be interesting to say the least. In college hoops it may revive it a bit, with star level talent sticking around a bit longer to develop, since they get to earn from their talents.
Right, this is where the potential advantage comes into play and it's something that could help us out. Bradley and Sharpe might give strong consideration to coming back instead of becoming a fringe first round pick if they can make some money here.

Great move by the university here. For anyone worried about other players being jealous that the star players are making money, this would help with that. It would also be a smart move for players who depend on other players (think Howell and the OL) and a position group that includes even the walk-ons (Love and the rest of the PGs including blue steel). Also makes it easier to negotiate those video game rights for those of you who want NCAA Football back.

https://goheels.com/news/2021/7/20/...ing-program-for-current-student-athletes.aspx

Mikey's high school deal expected to exceed 5M with two years left in high school! No need to cheat when you get deals like this legally. Unreal folks!

Reactions: dtodd4475
That is unbelievable! Like this ridiculous housing bubble we are in, these crazy prices will soon moderate!

That is unbelievable! Like this ridiculous housing bubble we are in, these crazy prices will soon moderate!
TP, I don't know about the moderation.

I do think think a change you will see is high school kids staying in college longer. If a kid is not a "definite" first round NBA pick, will it make sense to leave college with this high level NIL money out there?

I agree that the money from businesses will go down after a few years, but this isn't from your traditional source. It's from social media which is all about followers, not what an individual business will pay you. There are many regular people making this kind of money on social media. No athletic skills needed. I know I've said it before, but social media is where all the big money is going to be. So far, that's exactly what has happened.

They pay for eyes on the entertainment, same as TV ratings, radio, etc. especially if it is in the targeted spending demographic. Kids follow on the internet now,, you do not need a station, school, network to be seen.. Mikey has 5 MILLION eyes of the youth, tuning into him. That is worth the ad dollars.

Get 5 million following you, not that easy, but if you do, those eyes have huge advertising value.

They pay for eyes on the entertainment, same as TV ratings, radio, etc. especially if it is in the targeted spending demographic. Kids follow on the internet now,, you do not need a station, school, network to be seen.. Mikey has 5 MILLION eyes of the youth, tuning into him. That is worth the ad dollars.

Get 5 million following you, not that easy, but if you do, those eyes have huge advertising value.
Yeah, I think most people here aren't familiar with how things work today (not trying to be mean, that's just what happens when you get older). These social media deals aren't really new money for these guys. They were already generating that money, they just weren't allowed to pocket it. A lot of people here would probably be surprised to know that the biggest YouTube earner is a nine year old. It's all about people watching you or following you. Social media is the new cash cow and you can make big money on it without going to a blueblood.

Let me be the first to admit that I have no idea how Social Media works! I am quite proud of my almost zero presence! That being said, I do agree that this new world might see athletes staying in college longer, especially at bluebloods! UNC has a cachet that can only increase the worth of athletes attached to it. I hope this silver lining actually makes the storm clouds worth it! I also believe that Social Media might be the end of civilization, but my parents thought it would be Rock & Roll, lol!

I still don’t understand how teamwork won’t suffer. If your offensive stats go up, you get more media attention and your endorsement value goes up. What’s the incentive to give up the ball or knock yourself out on defense? If you don’t get enough playing time you transfer. The level of teamwork is not what it used to be anyway, and this will lower it more.

It works in every pro league in the world and has already been working in college! Bagley and Zion pulled in 6 figures at puke, but the others still kept playing! Kentuck had multiple peeps walking around with duffle bags of $$$ and they still fielded competitive teams! Dennis Smith Jr got 40K at Moo and the team.....wait forget that one because they sucked for many reasons!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT