ADVERTISEMENT

Aren't the New NIL Rules Just An Invitation for Boosters to Pay Players to Attend a School?

I know that I am not the brightest tool in the drawer but I dont understand how companies paying all this money to these athletes helps their company make money. Must be a lot of folks dumber than me that will buy something the kid advertises just because he can hit 15 footer.

I know that I am not the brightest tool in the drawer but I dont understand how companies paying all this money to these athletes helps their company make money. Must be a lot of folks dumber than me that will buy something the kid advertises just because he can hit 15 footer.
They made MJ a very wealthy man

I work with young people and I can assure you that they buy the stuff their idols and influencers wear/endorse! If it didn't payoff, the system wouldn't be as prevalent as it is!

Joe DiMaggio hit a baseball, but he became Mr. Coffee in millions of kitchens... 😆

College of Hard Knocks!

Point might have been missed here. We were discussing whether it made sense for companies to spend buckets of money advertising. With Social Media they become stars way before they even get to college (as disgusting as that sounds) so if they add the cachet of a Blueblood it certainly makes sense from the corporate viewpoint!

Reactions: tarheel0910
I wouldn't like for that to be true, but who knows?
Exactly. Some were throwing rumors around that we threw the bag at him while the Illinois staff formally sat down w him and showed his projected growth, net worth, yada yada… but again, who knows? I think this will work in our favor now that we can get the 2-3 year, low 5/high 4 star guys by just giving them what they want: money, brand, and a platform.

I work with young people and I can assure you that they buy the stuff their idols and influencers wear/endorse! If it didn't payoff, the system wouldn't be as prevalent as it is!

Maybe I didn't post correctly what I meant.. I realize companies wouldnt do it if it didnt pay off.. just hard to imagine that many people buy based off a TV star/ sports star endorsement. Example.. a few years ago Peyton Manning endorsed a Tv, either Samsung or Sony I think. I am more enclined to listed to the 18 year old at Best Buy explain the pros and cons to each TV over what Peyton says.

Heels go undefeated this year, win the National Title with Sam winning the Heisman, he throws for 12,000 yards and 168 Touchdowns I am still not going to Bo Jangles any more than normal which is maybe twice a month.

The NCAA is as obsolete as the floppy disk. They have no function to speak of. It's nothing but easy BIG money for them, too. Emmert makes millions doing nothing.

Maybe I didn't post correctly what I meant.. I realize companies wouldnt do it if it didnt pay off.. just hard to imagine that many people buy based off a TV star/ sports star endorsement. Example.. a few years ago Peyton Manning endorsed a Tv, either Samsung or Sony I think. I am more enclined to listed to the 18 year old at Best Buy explain the pros and cons to each TV over what Peyton says.

Heels go undefeated this year, win the National Title with Sam winning the Heisman, he throws for 12,000 yards and 168 Touchdowns I am still not going to Bo Jangles any more than normal which is maybe twice a month.
The idea of advertising is to get people to listen to your pitch and to remember your product when thinking of buying that type of product. A recognizable face or name does that.

Identifiable people get the eyes, the more eyes they help to get to listen to the brand and associate it to that product the better. The value is in getting their brand heard or seen.

Checking consumer reports is a better way to research a product, but popular personalities, catchy tunes, or funny catch phrases are gold for a businesses.

Do we know what compensation these kids are getting? Should that info be public?

If not public, how can we be sure those transactions aren't concealing serious corruption? Or has this sort of corruption now been made legal?

Is there any accountability?

Do we know what compensation these kids are getting? Should that info be public?

If not public, how can we be sure those transactions aren't concealing serious corruption? Or has this sort of corruption now been made legal?

"Accountability" and the NCAA? That is to me oil and water, not sure how any other conclusion can be reached when we have all watched duke & Ky totally skate with out so much as a NCAA over night stay? The FBI cold busts in a case and the evidence is front page and yet how has Kansas, LSU, Arizona been punished? Yet how many lesser programs have been punished for infractions since those FBI "sting" head lines?

Accountability, would be a consistent rule enforcement across EVERY member program and here we are how many years later and NOTHING? Every now and then the NCAA will pick a program to try to take down just to show they will hammer a big time school, they tried to do so with us. Our recruiting was hammered for what, 5yrs or so while the head lines blasted us as a rouge program only in the end to discover we had not violated NCAA guidelines. We did nothing and suffer 5yrs of NCAA investigation resulting in recruiting falling way off and yet those programs caught up in the FBI sting get nothing? Do I even need to mention Zion and duke, Bagley and duke?

The NCAA is a joke, has been for a while now, totally worthless at this point, needs to be totally scrapped and rebuilt in to something worthy of their creed. Sans that, the power programs should all pull out of the NCAA and form their own union that drains far less money from the process than the NCAA does, what a waste of every single dollar that goes to the NCAA today.

The psychological effects in the science of advertising are really amazing. From "eat popcorn and drink Coke" to why your grocery store places certain items on end caps. It is amazing to me how easily people are lead to take a pre-determined action while making the person believe it was totally their idea and were not lead to taking that action. The entity that truly frightens me in not only their ability to but their will to manipulate us is the news media (with sports media under the same umbrella).

They are supposed to report any deals to the schools I believe. Not sure who knows beyond that.

The old school coaches will be stepping down sooner than later. It was bad enough kissing ass to the 18 year olds who had been told how great they were since 6th grade, then the sucking up their handlers and aau coaches. Now you have the ego of the kid coming in a millionaire already because he has been getting paid for his NIL since 10th grade. NCAA really should go back to when freshmen were ineligible. See how much the investors/advertisers want to pay a kid sitting on the bench. Those that just want the money can go g league. Would Zion and his million followers go to dook if he couldn't play that year? How much would playing for the Des Moines Hoopcats increase his brand value?

The old school coaches will be stepping down sooner than later. It was bad enough kissing ass to the 18 year olds who had been told how great they were since 6th grade, then the sucking up their handlers and aau coaches. Now you have the ego of the kid coming in a millionaire already because he has been getting paid for his NIL since 10th grade. NCAA really should go back to when freshmen were ineligible. See how much the investors/advertisers want to pay a kid sitting on the bench. Those that just want the money can go g league. Would Zion and his million followers go to dook if he couldn't play that year? How much would playing for the Des Moines Hoopcats increase his brand value?
Yes, because Zion already had followers. He would still have made plenty of money. It's not about where you play or even how good you are. The first players to sign a contract and who will most likely make a million were twins who played women's basketball. Not only was it women's basketball, it was at Fresno State. All you need to do is be interesting on social media. There are literally people who have millions of followers on TikTok and YouTube because they just do a funny dance.

The psychological effects in the science of advertising are really amazing. From "eat popcorn and drink Coke" to why your grocery store places certain items on end caps. It is amazing to me how easily people are lead to take a pre-determined action while making the person believe it was totally their idea and were not lead to taking that action. The entity that truly frightens me in not only their ability to but their will to manipulate us is the news media (with sports media under the same umbrella).
Ditto in politics.

I actually think the opposite. It takes power away from them, because they don't have to direct them to a specific school for payment.
Agreed tarheel0910.
When a high profile recruit is considering us he will have far more potential to NIL funds than some "boosters" may want to offer or other schools. Besides the University is with the kids on NIL and we police the "boosters" pretty well as the Rams Club or Educational Foundation have no need or desire to see UNC in any NCAA violation status.
As tarheel0910 said I believe it takes some of the power away from the bad characters.

Agreed tarheel0910.
When a high profile recruit is considering us he will have far more potential to NIL funds than some "boosters" may want to offer or other schools. Besides the University is with the kids on NIL and we police the "boosters" pretty well as the Rams Club or Educational Foundation have no need or desire to see UNC in any NCAA violation status.
As tarheel0910 said I believe it takes some of the power away from the bad characters.
It does take away some of the power from the bad actors to an extent. Now kids can get paid straight up, not have to risk tarnish getting caught involved with a back room deal. Keep in mind, all those dirty money back room deals that did go on, they were ALL illegal, as in against the law no matter what the NCAA risk may have been. They received money for playing at certain schools, how much of that income was tax paid on, how much of that income was reported?

It would be, at least in my opinion really dumb to risk being caught in violation of federal law when you can just as easy now have a straight deal above board with no risk of what took Al Capone down. Golden handshakes are just aways going to happen, kids are and should be allowed to have meals out in town paid for by others that want to, those are minor things IMO and have not just always occurred but do with every program, including ours. It is the bigger deals, the associations with AAU coaches (read as AAU coaches bought and paid for) that have been steering kids to pre-determined programs that has become a systemic issue that NIL can and may make go away. There can be no such thing as an even playing field, smaller programs just simply do not nor ever will have the financial fire power to evenly battle the elite programs of which we are one of. Even thou it can never be equal the NIL can allow the field to come closer to equal than has been the case especially over the last decade.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT