ADVERTISEMENT

Article on Fuente that has food for thought

WoadBlue

Hall of Famer
Aug 15, 2008
link

Mcfarling says that the bowl vs. Ok St will be (was) the last time Fuente would be playing with house money as VT HC.

"But something changes in Year 3. By then, you’re largely molding your own clay. If you’re starting a redshirt freshman quarterback, this quarterback is either a transcendent talent or an emergency fill-in you shoved under center because you failed to have a solid succession plan. Either way, it’s all up to you."

I agree with McFarling. The Faithful for Fedora deny that he is molding his own clay in Year 6.

"When a standout running back leaves the program, like McMillian did? Well, that kind of thing doesn’t get the shrug in Year 3 that it does in Year 2. In Year 2, it’s simply a matter of a poor system fit, a player-coach relationship that never quite made as much sense as it did in the old regime. Both parties can agree that it’s time to part.

In Year 3? That can be a contentious experience that calls into question the way a coach is developing the very prospects he works so hard to recruit."

Yep.

link

Mcfarling says that the bowl vs. Ok St will be (was) the last time Fuente would be playing with house money as VT HC.

"But something changes in Year 3. By then, you’re largely molding your own clay. If you’re starting a redshirt freshman quarterback, this quarterback is either a transcendent talent or an emergency fill-in you shoved under center because you failed to have a solid succession plan. Either way, it’s all up to you."

I agree with McFarling. The Faithful for Fedora deny that he is molding his own clay in Year 6.

"When a standout running back leaves the program, like McMillian did? Well, that kind of thing doesn’t get the shrug in Year 3 that it does in Year 2. In Year 2, it’s simply a matter of a poor system fit, a player-coach relationship that never quite made as much sense as it did in the old regime. Both parties can agree that it’s time to part.

In Year 3? That can be a contentious experience that calls into question the way a coach is developing the very prospects he works so hard to recruit."

Yep.
I am sorry I need you to explain how this is relatable to UNC. Our coach had to recruit under the notion from A LOT of other university coaches that we were gonna get either the death penalty or hammered for 5 of the 6 yrs Fedora was hear. It is not a little different than the Fuente situation, it's a lot different. Then this yr we had what seemed like season ending injuries to everyone on our 2 deep. (Not quite that many but 19; who has heard of that many season ending injuries on one team in one season?) I will reserve judgement on our coach until he is finally playing with a full deck. If that's ok with you.

Last edited:
"... a redshirt freshman quarterback, this quarterback is either a transcendent talent or an emergency fill-in you shoved under center because you failed to have a solid succession plan"

Perhaps you are trying to relate this to the poor play of our QBs this yr? If so, I'd say the skyrocket of Trubisky to potential #2 draftpick was extremely rare and unexpected. Put MT on this team and we beat Cal, Lville, Duke, UVA and maybe another. We wouldn't have been a very good offense due to poor OL and poor WR play, but we wouldn't have had as many negative plays or INTs.

So, when will that be? Next year? Year after next? Year 10?
Com on man I respect you as a poster. Look I think fedora deserves at least 3 yrs to see what he can do when not handcuffed. So there is my answer. Just my opinion of course and if we win 3 games next yr I won't say a word if he isn't retained I may not like it but I do know it's a show me business

So three more years then? All I want is for Fed supporters to draw a line in the sand and stand by it. I appreciate what he's attempted to do during very trying times. But I have run out of excuses for him. I will go into next year expecting us to possibly win half of our games and hope to be pleasantly surprised. But I think our fans and the PTB think that being mediocre is our ceiling at this point. If that's the case, there's nothing I can do to alter that perception.

But I can assure you that I will never buy into that perception. Mike Norvell please.

So three more years then? All I want is for Fed supporters to draw a line in the sand and stand by it. I appreciate what he's attempted to do during very trying times. But I have run out of excuses for him. I will go into next year expecting us to possibly win half of our games and hope to be pleasantly surprised. But I think our fans and the PTB think that being mediocre is our ceiling at this point. If that's the case, there's nothing I can do to alter that perception.

But I can assure you that I will never buy into that perception. Mike Norvell please.
I will say this yes three years but if he gets canned then I want pj fleck fleck wants UNC and I want him here. That's just my opinion though

Last edited:
What's up with the lack of traffic on the football side of this site all these half way fans are funny... I love UNC football but Clemson football (eyes roll)

Well, I'll certainly be pulling for Clensum to win the title. Sure is embarrassing to watch NVSU, Wake, and d00k playing in bowl games while we sit at home.

Reactions: mosesm
I would say 2 more years but I could go for 3 if we have shown significant progress in 2 years. If we have a losing season next year, I would go ahead and make the switch then. Less than 17 wins over the next 2 years and I would more than likely make the switch. Stringing together losing seasons and poor recruiting classes usually means 2 - 3 additional years of poor teams. I don't think that is going to happen but you have to be realistic if:
- we don't finish strong with this recruiting class
- we don't rebound next season with at least 7 - 8 wins
- we have another 40+ ranked recruiting class in 18

I'd say that next yr puts him in the hot seat if we're bad.

I discount this yr hotseat-wise because of injuries

I'm not a Spurrier fan either but if he had come in and won 10 games a couple of times I probably would have learned to love him.

Reactions: franklin street
Look, there's not a single Fed criticizer that would complain if he turned our program into a true ACC contender year after year. We would all be delighted. But some of us have reached the conclusion that he just isn't going to do that. And I guess the only way to resolve the debate is to give Fed 3-4 more unfettered years. I just hope we aren't firmly entrenched in the ACC cellar by then, because being right won't make me feel one iota better about the state of our program. I would much prefer to be dead wrong.

ADVERTISEMENT