ADVERTISEMENT

Article on SC loss in Cotton Bowl

WoadBlue

Hall of Famer
Aug 15, 2008
link

The first lesson, which applies to UNC as well, is that DL domination wins games. The Buckeyes DL owned SC, and even though SC had more total yards, Ohio St won.

But as SC did out gain tOSU, the SC D was not to blame. The SC D held the Buckeyes offense in check.

Key quote - "It never added up for USC to have this much talent on offense and be this inconsistent. The Trojans would look unstoppable with the ball at times this season, then fall into a series of dry spells and turnovers."

2nd key quote - "But the issues on offense also run deeper. USC’s game plan wasn’t exactly a challenge for Ohio State to counter. The Buckeyes had the clear advantage with their defensive line and were consistently able to generate pressure and throttle USC’s entire offense. Offensive coordinator Tee Martin’s schemes were questioned earlier in the season by Darnold, and Friday night didn’t offer much evidence that the situation had improved since October.

USC didn’t challenge Ohio State by switching up the tempo or by calling creative plays that could dissuade the Buckeyes from blitzing over and over."

So, even if your offense is loaded with 4 and 5* recruits, it can be inconsistent and even flat if the OC is predictable, or just ordinary. By doing nothing original or creative, Tee Martin as SC OC allowed the Ohio St DTL to tee-off play after play and batter the Trojans into TOs and inefficiency when it most counted.

UNC football has both of those problems.

Reactions: Archer2
We have put up good offensive numbers since Fed came but at times we do seem predictable. Running a trick play occasionally is not the same as being unpredictable. Clearly VT can look at our offensive set up and pretty much know what is coming.

Reactions: Archer2
Both previous posts are spot on. The biggest advantage an offense has is knowing what you’re going to do. When you give that away by becoming predictable, you have negated that advantage.

We have put up good offensive numbers since Fed came but at times we do seem predictable. Running a trick play occasionally is not the same as being unpredictable. Clearly VT can look at our offensive set up and pretty much know what is coming.

I think of Tranquil or Shoop when I think predictable, not Fed. But funny thing about play-calling from a fan perspective is the execution and also luck.

Regarding execution, vs Louisville on their one yard line we line up under center, but don't hand it off, instead pass for a TD to the TE in the corner. Half the fans don't think we use the TE enough, half the fans think we don't go under center enough, half the fans are angry we don't try to run up the gut for the sole yard. But we execute and score, so at least half of us are really happy. If we hadn't scored EVERYONE would blame play-calling. Execution is more important to me than the play-call, and execution requires jimmys & joes even more than coaching.

Regarding predictable (and luck), sometimes a D just makes a perfect guess, even on 1st & 10 at the 50. These look like genius moves by a D-coordinator, but they're often just luck. They blitz the CB hoping to apply qb pressure, but we "unluckily" run a sweep right into that blitzing corner... that isn't predictable, just bad luck for the O-coordinator.

Reactions: ticket2ride04
You have lots of good posts blazers but I don't agree on this one. I think good DCs know every time we're going to run the bubble screen, every time we're going to run the WR screen, and every time we're going to run the jet sweep. We don't vary formation or motion very much IMO. But I will give you one thing, at times our play calling seems to change dramatically. "like someone else started calling the plays all the sudden". I'm not sure if this is when Fed takes on more responsibility, when we run out of scripted plays, or what is going on but it happens. And I know it takes jimmy/joes and execution to make things happen but that's the coaches responsibility too. They recruit, teach and coach - if it's not working it's the coach's fault IMO. It's a poor craftsman that quarrels with his tools.

Reactions: blazers
Yeah, Ohio State defense was imposing its will at the LOS from the start, so USC was going to need to either outscheme the Buckeyes or capitalize on turnovers or manufacture some big plays on special teams. Easier said than done I guess, but when you’re SC and have all that time to prepare, I’d imagine the expectations are to find a way to win.

Their defense looked good, but no answer with the ball.

Yeah, Ohio State defense was imposing its will at the LOS from the start, so USC was going to need to either outscheme the Buckeyes or capitalize on turnovers or manufacture some big plays on special teams. Easier said than done I guess, but when you’re SC and have all that time to prepare, I’d imagine the expectations are to find a way to win.

Their defense looked good, but no answer with the ball.
when you script your offense for every game and very seldomly go off script in down and distance a good DC can " look at the film's" and map tendencies.The lack of off script play calling will not keep the defense honest imo

Reactions: -COUNTRY-CLUB-JOE-
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT