ADVERTISEMENT

Assistant coach salaries

WoadBlue

Hall of Famer
Aug 15, 2008
for 2017

UNC's highest paid is Kapilovic at #156 - $436,450. As that is low for a P5 coordinator, a case can be made that he is not over paid. However, that does not alter the fact that we have both OL development and OC issues.

#164 is Terry Joseph - $425,000. How is our highest paid assistant a guy who came from an SEC team that has shown weak or inconsistent D every year under Kevin Sumlin? There was 1 year at A&M with Joseph as DB coach where the passing game D was good. But that required A&M to have a front 7 that finally put pressure on QBs. And then the Aggie pass D was back to low average or worse.

#257 Gunter Brewer - $345,100. If there was any doubt that Brewer is our best position coach, it should have been sent to bed this season. Our assistants seem to have trouble developing 2nd team players who are high quality. Late this season, due to injuries, Brewer was playing WRs who were 4th string in Fall Camp. And they all looked either good or needing only game experience to be good.

#281 Mike Ekeler - $325, 000. Another first year coach. Our LBs started the year thinner than our DBs and suffered worse injury.

#315 Deke Adams - $300,000. Like Kapilovic, Adams is an old time Fedora assistant: he was at USM 3 years and then with Fedora his first year at UNC. I see that as no positive, perhaps especially on defense. Well, considering Kap, maybe not especially on D.

#339 Chad Scott - $294,350. We have TE depth and potential, but that was true before Scott, whose experience is as RB coach, arrived.

#345 DeAndre Smith - $290,000. Smith has not yet had time to develop RBs at UNC. But he is not the kind of RB coach you hire if you are serious about trying to land a Zamir White.

#357 John Papuchis - $279,125. Papuchis is not a GREAT DC, and I say that nobody can be with the Fedora offense. But anybody who thinks Papuchis, even as just a position coach, is worth barely more than half what Terry Joseph is paid deserves a 3-9 team.

#576 Keith Heckendorf - $167,475. As Fedora is an offensive genius who knows everything there is to know about QBs, his QB coach can be extremely poorly paid.

These numbers seems very strange to me. The DC gets paid less than all his position coaches??? The QB coach (who many claim is Fed's true right hand man and is going to take over the offense soon) is the lowest paid coach. Overall the $$$ seem low and we need to pay better (though I am not in favor of just giving everyone a big raise - or a raise at all after last season).

Capability and results need to be keys. Performance based salaries.

Unfortunately, I have always felt that the administrators at UNC have been committed to maintaining excellence in the men's basketball program as we are a "Basketball School," and they have treated the men's football program as less important: If we are mediocre in football, that is OK.

In fact, UNC can be excellent in basketball AND football, like Miami, Notre Dame and Michigan State. But we have to pay for excellence, and according to this 2017 USA Today Salary Survey, our HC has the 50th highest total pay and our assistants have the 43rd highest total pay. Honestly, if you look at our recruiting and performance, that is likely fair pay for what we have with our current coaching staff, but we should pay more for a better coaching staff.

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/

Did Fed have a budget to work within for his assistants or did we leave some money on the table when hiring them? Not bashing Fed here, just don't know.

Did Fed have a budget to work within for his assistants or did we leave some money on the table when hiring them? Not bashing Fed here, just don't know.
As I understand it, it’s an uphill battle to get more money for assistants. Only recently, in large part to Bunba’s efforts, have we seen more money for coaches. It’s why we paid so much for Chizik and why Joseph has a high salary relative to other coaches. We will spend to bring in good coaches/recruiters.

Is it totally a university thing or partly a Ram's club thing? Who can help?

Is it totally a university thing or partly a Ram's club thing? Who can help?
Not entirely sure. Rams club is underfunded for a school of our caliber but unc has always underpaid all of its coaches. For a while, Mike Fox was one of the lowest paid coaches in the acc after multiple college world series trips.

I've always heard that many of the boosters and higher ups around the University feel like we shouldn't have to pay coaches top dollar because coaching at Carolina is such a "privilege" that they should be willing to take a smaller paycheck. Idk if there any truth to that, but I have no idea how a program like UNC can't raise enough money to pay football coaches top dollar.

I've always heard that many of the boosters and higher ups around the University feel like we shouldn't have to pay coaches top dollar because coaching at Carolina is such a "privilege" that they should be willing to take a smaller paycheck. Idk if there any truth to that, but I have no idea how a program like UNC can't raise enough money to pay football coaches top dollar.
Do you donate to the Rams Club?

The "boosters and higher ups" somehow got stupid between how they made their money and college football. Fact Check: College football is a business, just like the businesses that allowed them to accumulate wealth. You want talent, you MUST pay for talent. And since UNC has established itself as a rock-solid stepping stone to upper tier football coaching jobs, unfortunately we must pay MORE for top talent. We obviously have the conviction to get top talent for our UNC Men's basketball program, but somehow we don't have the same conviction for our football program. And our AD, Bubba Cunningham, just received a $1M bonus over 5 years for his outstanding performance ?? As I see it, Bubba has GOT TO GO as he lacks the conviction to have excellent basketball AND football programs.

The "boosters and higher ups" somehow got stupid between how they made their money and college football. Fact Check: College football is a business, just like the businesses that allowed them to accumulate wealth. You want talent, you MUST pay for talent. And since UNC has established itself as a rock-solid stepping stone to upper tier football coaching jobs, unfortunately we must pay MORE for top talent. We obviously have the conviction to get top talent for our UNC Men's basketball program, but somehow we don't have the same conviction for our football program. And our AD, Bubba Cunningham, just received a $1M bonus over 5 years for his outstanding performance ?? As I see it, Bubba has GOT TO GO as he lacks the conviction to have excellent basketball AND football programs.
You are pretty misinformed about Bubba.

He’s made it know football > basketball in his eyes. He can only do so much regarding pay for coaches.

Let’s be honest, Roy is woefully underpaid and we are lucky to have him. Last I checked, he’s still middle of the pack as far as acc coaches are paid.

look at the 24 teams we field that lose money if you want to know where the money goes.
schools like tenn field 14 teams.
until this changes we will never sustain any success we might have.
we're lucky wanda wanted to get the hell out of kansas and that roys a chump.

Last edited:
Not sure that's how I would describe Roy.

I lol'ed

But in all seriousness, the problem is that UNC's greatest sports program has a rich tradition of Carolina coaches who considered Chapel Hill home. A guy like Roy cares more about being the head coach at Carolina than he does any number of millions of dollars.

If we think we're going to achieve success with that model in football then we are delusional. What we really need is an elite level defensive staff to compliment Fed's offense. That kind of staff doesn't come cheap.

Reactions: TarHeelMark
100% agree uncboy. Roy is a unique case which probably won't even last on the basketball side once Roy decides to retire. We don't have that luxury on the football side so we need to get our money right.

The coaches' salary is a story we don't hear much about and the general public hears even less. When you say Fed is getting nearly $3M most people think that's a lot of money (and it is) but when you say he's the 50th highest paid head coach - then your perspective changes some. If we want a better football program then the education process needs to get started. Not saying throwing money at the problem will fix everything but it's most likely a required step to really move forward. Maybe AJ has some ideas for getting this started. Maybe package it with the game day suggestions from an earlier thread. It's all geared towards us having a better football program.

look at the 26 teams we field that lose money if you want to know where the money goes.
schools like tenn field 14 teams.
until this changes we will never sustain any success we might have.
we're lucky wanda wanted to get the hell out of kansas and that roys a chump.
LOL

No wonder we can’t attract top coaching talent. Those salaries are absolute trash for p5 assistants. Absolute trash.

The rest of your post was just as bad and/or ignorant, but thanks for the laugh.
sorry pal but that post was accurate.
there is one other point about money.
almost every school in the country's licencing money goes to the athletic dept, carolina's goes in the general fund.

As for institutional support, we’re middle-of-the-pack for power five schools. That doesn’t include money put towards facilities or multimedia partnerships. We spend about the same on football as Duke, Louisville, Syracuse and Pittsburgh.

As for institutional support, we’re middle-of-the-pack for power five schools. That doesn’t include money put towards facilities or multimedia partnerships. We spend about the same on football as Duke, Louisville, Syracuse and Pittsburgh.
This is a huge problem. The football experience, as whole, is lacking. If you don't have a good product, you better find an innovative way to draw crowds.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT