ADVERTISEMENT

Assistants on the bench

What did he say?

I don’t really do twitter but a quick glance shows that he never seems to be offline and constantly posts a stream of nonsense.

Some guy was making fun of Hubert’s wife, saying that she looked old and commenting on the fact that she is white. He replied “typical.” No idea what that’s supposed to mean but the guy is clearly an idiot when it comes to social media. Back in the day he claimed Kendall was getting PT in the league because the management was racist.

I don’t really do twitter but a quick glance shows that he never seems to be offline and constantly posts a stream of nonsense.

Some guy was making fun of Hubert’s wife, saying that she looked old and commenting on the fact that she is white. He replied “typical.” No idea what that’s supposed to mean but the guy is clearly an idiot when it comes to social media. Back in the day he claimed Kendall was getting PT in the league because the management was racist.
Man, that is too bad. I don't think I'll check it out. Twitter is 90% garbage generally. Most of the hate in the country seems concentrated there.

I feel bad for KM. Why do parents need to be that way? Do you think KM is on board with what his dad puts on Twitter / social media? I think I'd be like "dad just shut up and stay off Twitter or social media about anything to do with me, my job, or programs where your comments can even indirectly impact me".

Shame McInnis name isn't being discussed as an option. He made an awesome name for himself on the AAU circuit and has a wealth of knowledge and relationships with HS coaches that could be leveraged. I believe he could be an awesome recruiter. Either Noel or Lynch should round out this staff. Bring KButter back to his previous role. One of the best guards to ever run the Carolina break. At some point he should then move up that bench. Would be a shame if he's not a part of this.

Of the three(Rice, Lebo, and May), give me King Rice as most critical.

Hubert is grateful to Roy for the ascension to the helm but he is immediately talking change. Im surprised but elated at his demeanor. Those Roy assistants are all gone plus surprisingly Marshall. Hubert apparently was making some mental notes along his path. Hubert's feelings concerning assistants in the 9 years of daily interaction led to a decision that a true love for Carolina is better than the status quo. A totally new staff makes a statement about the future and a conclusion about the past.

Read where Hubert spoke to Macks football team. Hubert could learn a lot from Mack. Mack put the football team on a fast track for success through his leadership through accountability. Each coach is personally accountable directly to Mack for his units functionality. Mack is providing these coaches with talented recruits and he expects coaches to expedite success from them. Hubert loves Carolina and has to be impressed by the quick results by Macks organizational coaching skills in a game with 10 times the personnel. Hubert might see a similar urgency.

Of the three(Rice, Lebo, and May), give me King Rice as most critical.

Hubert is grateful to Roy for the ascension to the helm but he is immediately talking change. Im surprised but elated at his demeanor. Those Roy assistants are all gone plus surprisingly Marshall. Hubert apparently was making some mental notes along his path. Hubert's feelings concerning assistants in the 9 years of daily interaction led to a decision that a true love for Carolina is better than the status quo. A totally new staff makes a statement about the future and a conclusion about the past.
So does he hire King to work with our guards? King had decent stats at UNC, was a good defender and had a 2:1 A/TO ratio. I remember he and Hurley used to battle it out.

Nice article on King and Hurley. King was a fiery competitor!

King vs Bobby
Thanks for the article. King’s son, Alexander ended up playing for Bob Hurley, Sr at Saint Anthony’s. He now plays for Bucknell. Safe to say those two made up.

King was named MAAC coach of the year (he’s won it 3 of the last 6 years). Would he leave a head coaching job that pays $450k a year to be an assistant at UNC? I’m sure he would. He’s great friends with Hubert.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
That is exactly what we call it over in Derm.

When you make your sense of 'family' so enclosed that it is incestuous, then you do harm long term.
You possibly could. However, when you have a program like UNC and even Duke, they put out a LOT of basketball wizardry. It's like a Hogwarts of basketball.

Very underwhelming. May's been there a while and I have yet to see an interior big with a really good inside "go to" inside shot (in the last 4 yrs.). HD has been on the bench for this entire class and many before but some of the form (some of) the players that have been there in his time is pretty pathetic .. ball .. and stats don't lie. Lebo was a fairly good floor leader as I recall .. but not anything special .. and King Rice (Really).

I truly wish him and the program well, as always, but nothing on this coaching staff stands out as being notable .. much less impressive. Time will tell but on the surface I see nothing impressive or exciting. Is what it is.
Who do you want?

Would love either Lebo or Rice, George lynch, noel , or Frasor. I'm from Chicago so would be nice to recruit the area better with Frasor instead of letting the good ones go to Duke. Can go head to head with Scheyer.

See some chat about McGinnis. That one ain't happening. Water goes under the bridge, but that water runs slow.

Reactions: TheGLOV
I was holding off mentioning the "tension" between Touche and PF! I think he would be a great coach who, similar to PF's own indiscretions, may have seriously hindered his potential to work at UNC! Would love to see both on the bench, but Rice, Lebo, Lynch, Noel, Frasor, etc are some dadgum good options!

Reactions: Kadyn930
I was holding off mentioning the "tension" between Touche and PF! I think he would be a great coach who, similar to PF's own indiscretions, may have seriously hindered his potential to work at UNC! Would love to see both on the bench, but Rice, Lebo, Lynch, Noel, Frasor, etc are some dadgum good options!

The one difference is that despite Phil's personal issues that impacted him as far as UNC, ot doesn't change the fact the he is still UNC royalty. McGinnis isn't. So Phil wins that tug of war every time.

Does hiring a bench full
of former heels as coaches seem a little dookish? They have been doing that for a while havent they?

Please excuse my ignorance, but what's the deal between McGinnis and Ford?
Rumor has it McInnis had an affair with Ford’s wife. Phil may have even caught them in the act. Thus the chant at dook, “McInnis drives a Ford!” dook fans, in all their ribald ingenuity, queried on signs whether Jeff had “driven a Ford lately?”

Phil was being groomed by Dean to take over the program. It was never supposed to be Gut, Matt or Roy. It was Phil. Sadly, his alcoholism got the best of him.

Last edited:
Rumor has it McInnis had an affair with Ford’s wife. Phil may have even caught them in the act. Thus the chant at dook, “McInnis rides a Ford!” Duke fans, in all their ribald ingenuity, queried on signs whether Jeff had “driven a Ford lately?”

Phil was being groomed by Dean to take over the program. It was never supposed to be Gut, Matt or Roy. It was Phil. Sadly, his alcoholism got the best of him.
LOL you learn something every day.

Hence the reason why I did not want to bring up the "tension" between those Family members! Some things should stay buried.

Reactions: DSouthr
Shame McInnis name isn't being discussed as an option. He made an awesome name for himself on the AAU circuit and has a wealth of knowledge and relationships with HS coaches that could be leveraged. I believe he could be an awesome recruiter. Either Noel or Lynch should round out this staff. Bring KButter back to his previous role. One of the best guards to ever run the Carolina break. At some point he should then move up that bench. Would be a shame if he's not a part of this.
The AAU circuit is as dirty as Hell.

I'm just Old School Southern! We don't air our family's dirty laundry in public, lol!

ADVERTISEMENT