ADVERTISEMENT

Attn: THN11 and Woad

HeelFan58

Hall of Famer
Oct 3, 2011
Your inputs are needed/requested on Radar thread "Do You follow UNC's Football Team".

Looks like somebody is trying to start a fight. I actually already tagged both of them in the thread. Not sure what @WoadBlue is up to, but I believe @TarHeelNation11 has just woken up from his alcohol and cocaine bender.
Am I that obvious? My attempt with the band wagoners/front runners comment didn't seem to move the needle , so I am calling in some flame throwers. Woad disappears for long periods of time.

Am I that obvious? My attempt with the band wagoners/front runners comment didn't seem to move the needle , so I am calling in some flame throwers. Woad disappears for long periods of time.
The Wilson commitment got me back posting a bit.

I'ma afraid to even look at that thread. It's not just that a large number of UNC basketball-first fans do not follow UNC football, nor that most of them do follow football (they follow the NFL and/or another college team). The worst is that almost all seem oblivious to those very facts. Snd almost all of them are certain that people like me know nothing about UNC basketball. I still grieve over the lost Championship in '77. That one will always hurt me more than any basketball team that did not win it all, even '84.

Reactions: TarHeelMark
There's already too much animosity on the boards, yet we have some people who delight in creating more.
It is not creating animosity. It is simply stating facts. Sticking your head in the sand does not alter a single thing.

If it is best for UNC's athletics department to have a large basketball-first fan base and a nearly as large basketball-pnly fan base, then let's exult in what we have. If that is not best for UNC athletics, then perhaps we do need to analyze how it got to this pass and how we can make adjustments.

The actual animosity, the one that matters, is that a sizable section of the UNC basketball-only/basketball-first fan base goes ballistic when they are put on the spot. They see their position as untouchable, virtually sacrosanct.

I've been threatened with banning for posting links here, football board, to articles about the fact that CFB is at least 4 times more valuable than Men's CBB.

And this issue is about to be highly important once again. WE know that ESPN, thanks to its unrelenting move to the hard Left over the past 6 or 7 years, has lost a ton of viewers. I live among SEC folks who now are often very open that if not for the SECN, owned by ESPN, they almost never would watch ESPN. These are people who used to live on Sports Center and similar shows when their favorite teams weren't on.

What does this mean to the ACC, as ESPN refuses to back away from its ion your face ultra Leftism? It means that the odds are getting higher each day that there will be no ACC Network airing in 2019.

Why will ESPN keep backing the SECN while reneging on the ACCN? Simple: football is at least 4 times more valuable than basketball, and SEC fans are about 4 times more interested in football than basketball. So the SECN is worth every penny even when ESPN is slowly killing itself with totally unnecessary Leftism. But the ACC, whose fans are close to 50/50, is extremely unlikely to deliver the same passion and total numbers that will make an ACCN a go when ESPN is shitting in its own bed in the name of SJW PC.

Reactions: Hark_The_Sound_2010
My post was actually referencing HF58's post. He basically asked you two to come over and help stir the shite because he wasn't getting as big a rise out of his post on that thread as he desired.

My post was actually referencing HF58's post. He basically asked you two to come over and help stir the shite because he wasn't getting as big a rise out of his post on that thread as he desired.
I just don't understand you guys who are so hung up on harmony and being YES men. If you guys had been in charge in 1776 , we would still be a British colony today.

Basketball is to UNC as football is to FSU......and you can bet that you will find FSU guys complain about being a football school in an old guard basketball first conference.

Nothing wrong with being a basketball school in a football world....unless you are UConn, Cincinnati and other G5 programs limping on weak media contracts.

But, it is still a shame. North Carolina has the recruiting territory, facilities, and coaching to be a perennial top 15 football program.

Reactions: Raising Heel
What's amusing to me is, despite how Radar has vastly more activity than Blitz, on the premium side, Blue Heaven (football) has a much healthier, vibrant dose of discussion than Four Corners does. Blue Heaven experiences constant traffic 365 and has really good discussion with complete tolerance of varying viewpoints. Four Corners is kinda dull by comparison, and not as lively.

THN, You and 58 are so funny when you don't get the response you anticipated on a thread. You didn't want a discussion, you wanted to see a big argument . Now you're disappointed you didn't. Some of you are so sophomoric.

Reactions: dgheel57
THN, You and 58 are so funny when you don't get the response you anticipated on a thread. You didn't want a discussion, you wanted to see a big argument . Now you're disappointed you didn't. Some of you are so sophomoric.
That one must have been keeping you up all night for you to get up on a Saturday and post it at 6:24 a.m. I realize that a discussion to you is every one agreeing with you and an argument includes people who may have differing opinions from yours and I accept that. If you don't realize that the lack of fan support for our FB team is a problem and probably warrants a discussion/argument , then I just don't know what else to say to you.

Reactions: TarHeelNation11
No one enjoys a discussion more than I do. I don't care whether others agree with me or not, it would be a boring world if we all thought alike.

think the vast majority of us would love to see more support for our FB program. But two or three of you have beaten that "basketball only" horse until it's a bloody pulp. If the FB program continues to show improvement, fan support will increase. But we've been mediocre for decades so it will take time.

Reactions: dgheel57
Maybe there really is a culture difference. Was Sam Cassell right?

The UNC fans don't seem like FSU or Clemson football fans, who resemble SEC fans.

You know...no chinos and oxford cloth at FSU ....they wear BBQ stained T shirts, strained tight across beer bellies, while singing (moaning) out the warchant. Beautiful cheer in that you can moan it dead drunk since there are no pesky lyrics to remember.

I always have wondered why basketball coaches wear coats and ties. And does that influence the culture of basketball first schools?

Oh...just pass me a scone and forget this post...I was just giving Archer his desired rabble rousing.

Lol what the hell is happening in this thread? And some of y'all haven't been to many Carolina football games. There's just as much good ol' boys at Carolina games as there is at State games. We're just a bit more refined.

Basketball is to UNC as football is to FSU......and you can bet that you will find FSU guys complain about being a football school in an old guard basketball first conference.

Nothing wrong with being a basketball school in a football world....unless you are UConn, Cincinnati and other G5 programs limping on weak media contracts.

But, it is still a shame. North Carolina has the recruiting territory, facilities, and coaching to be a perennial top 15 football program.
That shame is not just for us. It also hurts the league. With all of the football history that various ACC schools have, we still can't secure media deals like the SEC or Big Ten because football is 4 times bigger than basketball, and we lack a large number of passionate football fans.

Maybe there really is a culture difference. Was Sam Cassell right?

The UNC fans don't seem like FSU or Clemson football fans, who resemble SEC fans.

You know...no chinos and oxford cloth at FSU ....they wear BBQ stained T shirts, strained tight across beer bellies, while singing (moaning) out the warchant. Beautiful cheer in that you can moan it dead drunk since there are no pesky lyrics to remember.

I always have wondered why basketball coaches wear coats and ties. And does that influence the culture of basketball first schools?

Oh...just pass me a scone and forget this post...I was just giving Archer his desired rabble rousing.
Many Ole Miss students still wear ties to football games. That is not the source of our wine and cheese fan base.

No one enjoys a discussion more than I do. I don't care whether others agree with me or not, it would be a boring world if we all thought alike.

think the vast majority of us would love to see more support for our FB program. But two or three of you have beaten that "basketball only" horse until it's a bloody pulp. If the FB program continues to show improvement, fan support will increase. But we've been mediocre for decades so it will take time.
I want to think that, but the first time I participated in an online thread on UNC basketball fans and their football interests was in the year 2000. That was 3 years removed from Mack Brown having us in the Top 5. And a host of UNC basketball fans acknowledged that they had little interest in UNC football. Some followed the NFL but watched little college football. Many admitted to being fans of another college FB team: Notre Dame, Bama, Texas, OU, Nebraska, Florida, Penn St, Michigan, Ohio St were all mentioned.

I was shocked in 1978...I was sent by my employer on a paid vacation from my job in Florida to a USDOL sponsored management school at Mississippi State.

The students wore dresses and coats and ties to the football game....at FSU, I had been wearing my USMC utility jacket over jeans and fit right in.

I was shocked in 1978...I was sent by my employer on a paid vacation from my job in Florida to a USDOL sponsored management school at Mississippi State.

The students wore dresses and coats and ties to the football game....at FSU, I had been wearing my USMC utility jacket over jeans and fit right in.
Fraternity pledges wearing ties to games makes sense to me. Other guys? Not so much. I prefer Carolina blue shirts and sweatshirts.

i wore a tie to football games from age 15 to about 25 and then said to heck with it.
when you're 15-16 you could grab a beer at frat ct parties if you were wearing a tie and very seldom were you questioned.

At the 1983 Peach Bowl (FSU-UNC)...I was very unfashionable....it was 18 degrees (in the days before the dome)...and I wore a garnet windbreaker over jeans with red Atlanta Falcons gloves that I purchased at the concession stand (you saw a lot of Garnet with red gloves).

Never have I been as cold as that game..and a windbreaker over a game T shirt ( Florida winter wear) did not cut it.

We won that game, and my wife and I went out to supper, brought a bottle of champagne back to the room...and 9 months later, my Peachbowl boy was born.

Last edited:
Reactions: tarheel0910
It is not creating animosity. It is simply stating facts. Sticking your head in the sand does not alter a single thing.

If it is best for UNC's athletics department to have a large basketball-first fan base and a nearly as large basketball-pnly fan base, then let's exult in what we have. If that is not best for UNC athletics, then perhaps we do need to analyze how it got to this pass and how we can make adjustments.

The actual animosity, the one that matters, is that a sizable section of the UNC basketball-only/basketball-first fan base goes ballistic when they are put on the spot. They see their position as untouchable, virtually sacrosanct.

I've been threatened with banning for posting links here, football board, to articles about the fact that CFB is at least 4 times more valuable than Men's CBB.

And this issue is about to be highly important once again. WE know that ESPN, thanks to its unrelenting move to the hard Left over the past 6 or 7 years, has lost a ton of viewers. I live among SEC folks who now are often very open that if not for the SECN, owned by ESPN, they almost never would watch ESPN. These are people who used to live on Sports Center and similar shows when their favorite teams weren't on.

What does this mean to the ACC, as ESPN refuses to back away from its ion your face ultra Leftism? It means that the odds are getting higher each day that there will be no ACC Network airing in 2019.

Why will ESPN keep backing the SECN while reneging on the ACCN? Simple: football is at least 4 times more valuable than basketball, and SEC fans are about 4 times more interested in football than basketball. So the SECN is worth every penny even when ESPN is slowly killing itself with totally unnecessary Leftism. But the ACC, whose fans are close to 50/50, is extremely unlikely to deliver the same passion and total numbers that will make an ACCN a go when ESPN is shitting in its own bed in the name of SJW PC.

Oh yes, one "moderator" goes ballistic when you point out certain facts.

At the 1983 Peach Bowl (FSU-UNC)...I was very unfashionable....it was 18 degrees (in the days before the dome)...and I wore a garnet windbreaker over jeans with red Atlanta Falcons gloves that I purchased at the concession stand (you saw a lot of Garnet with red gloves).

Never have I been as cold as that game..and a windbreaker over a game T shirt ( Florida winter wear) did not cut it.

We won that game, and my wife and I went out to supper, brought a bottle of champagne back to the room...and 9 months later, my Peachbowl boy was born.
the coldest i've ever been was carolina/kentucky in the peach bowl.
my buddy next to me had a cold and when i glanced at him he had an icicle coming out of his nose. i left at halftime.

The temperature was 28 degrees at that 1976 Peach Bowl with Kentucky.....pretty cold...and a miserable day for a Tar Heel.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT