ADVERTISEMENT

Bacot as a stretch 4/5?

al would

All-American
Oct 14, 2009
I know .. sounds crazy right. But I remember HD talking about a weakness with Mando in the league would be his lack of outside shooting. And you guys know how the family takes care of one another so what if, with the addition of Nance, HD and the coaches start working with Mando on his outside game where this season we could see some inversions of Bacot and Nance, providing Bacot can actually develop a decent outside shot ..or at least a good mid-range game, which I think he can. Just off season meandering, but plausible. Even more plausible if Mando stays 2 more years.

He better figure out how to shoot 3s or he’ll be nothing but a 12th man in the nba….. if he’s lucky. He should use the next 2 years to do just that

Reactions: al would
Being able to shoot 3s wouldn't make him a stretch 4. He'd be a stretch 5.
If Mando and Nance switched positions Nance would be the 5 but I get your point. I'd still like to see Mando develop some consistent outside game and with this roster there may be some blow out games this season where he should have some opportunities to stretch his game. And just saw the piece about Mando extending his game. Time will tell.

Mando need to be more consistent with hitting 12-16ft shot. Sparkle in a 3 here and there but I don't think what should be a factor for him not making in the NBA, He can develop that part once their there. Hell, Andrew Wiggins couldn't hit a 3 ball but now over time he's much better. Heck, I never seen any of GSW bigs except Green jack up a 3 ball. But if Amando can hit that 16ft at lest 38-40% that's very good. Plus he's a HEELUVA rebounder and not everyone needs to be jacking up 3's someone need to get those missing shot. Go HEELS!!

Reactions: Archer2
Another random thought, I wander how an old school NBA team with post and mid range game would fair in today's game. Would anyone know how to defend them? Will that style ever cycle around again?

If Mando wants to work on a more consistent 16 foot jumper, fine. Perhaps even a very occasional three. But he should predominately stick with the game plan that enabled him to finish runner up for ACC POY and has him preseason ACC POY next year. If his game was translatable to the NBA, he would have left after this year. There’s almost no way he can improve significantly over this record setting season. But he loves college, he loves the big NIL money, and he has a chance to win a title and have his name in the rafters. Then a stab at the NBA or more likely, a gig playing overseas. Good options all.

Reactions: Mistercvr4
Another random thought, I wander how an old school NBA team with post and mid range game would fair in today's game. Would anyone know how to defend them? Will that style ever cycle around again?
IMHO the true post players are history unless they're massive and the 3pt line is extended to cut down on the risk/reward for the shot and a greater premium is placed on rebounding and a higher % closer shots .. just the way the game has evolved though I guess .. be it good or bad.

The top five teams in the nba had centers that didn’t shoot threes. Rebound, pass, and score close. So what if the offense isn’t ran through them. There is still a place for the classic big man. The notion that they can’t or won’t be used is highly overrated

Reactions: Mistercvr4
The top five teams in the nba had centers that didn’t shoot threes. Rebound, pass, and score close. So what if the offense isn’t ran through them. There is still a place for the classic big man. The notion that they can’t or won’t be used is highly overrated
So true. I mean GSW center didnt need to take a 3 because that's why the wings are for. Somewhat like how Coach Smith keep his Big from doing that. I get it, it's cool to have but somebody had to rebound the ball. Al Horford been in the league for a minute and until the last 2 or 3 years he started hitting the 3. I mean his form is awful but he does hit it from time to time. Most time that center like to shoot alot of 3 hardly make to the NBA final game.

Reactions: alabamaheel
After appearing in the NCAA championship game where was Bacot on the draft list? He's like Tyler .. great college player but his skill set just doesn't translate well next level .. unless he expands his game and both him and the UNC coaching staff know it. Elephant in the room. Is what it is.

Please. Bacot is what he is. Don't see him ever having the outside shooting skills to stretch anything. And especially if trying to play a 4, that would often put him out in space on defense. And he just isn't quick enough. The NBA has changed to one where his game just doesn't translate. 30-40 years ago he would have been a lottery pick.

Reactions: Archer2
He needs to be be able to defend when put in the pick and roll outside the paint much more then "3 range" for his game to translate. He is not a rim protecter like Looney, who also can get switched and guard away from the bucket as well. Mentioning GSW big not having 3 range is missing the point for why Mando's game is not translating.

He is not a Looney/Capela type big. He is a plodded big, that really isn't "big" for the Association. He knows this. He would of had to leave if not for NIL, and recently said so, I'm very glad NIL is here and he is back for at least one more. He will work on those aspects to give himself a shot, but in the meantime he will dominate and get paid for his skill set against the kids in college.

Last edited:
He needs to be be able to defend when put in the pick and roll outside the paint much more then "3 range" for his game to translate. He is not a rim protecter like Looney, who also can get switched and guard away from the bucket as well. Mentioning GSW big not having 3 range is missing the point for why Mando's game is not translating.

He is not a Looney/Capela type big. He is a plodded big, that really isn't "big" for the Association. He knows this. He would of had to leave if not for NIL, and recently said so, I'm very glad NIL is here and he is back for at least one more. He will work on those aspects to give himself a shot, but in the meantime he will dominate and get paid for his skill set against the kids in college.
I somewhat agree but didn’t mention the other bigs in the nba to show that bacot could make it. I definitely know he needs to work on his defense. That’s 100 why he’s not leaving for the draft this year imo. My point was that you don’t have to shoot threes to be a big in the league. There are several guys that can’t shoot for their life but they can d up and finish

Reactions: dtodd4475
Please. Bacot is what he is. Don't see him ever having the outside shooting skills to stretch anything.
Brook Lopez rarely even attempt a 3-pointer during his first 8 years in the league. He made a grand total of 3 3-pointers over those 8 seasons. But when he saw the way the league was trending, he started working on his shot. So he was 29 years old when he added a 3pt shot to his game. A few years later he set the record for most 3s made by a center in a single season.

But sure, 22 year old Armando Bacot "is what he is" and will never develop outside shooting skills.

This site really needs a downvote option.

If Bacot is focused on shooting 3s, we won't be as good as we can be. And he won't repeat his production from last year. So for me, it's a "no thanks".

But I get that's what will make him more attractive to the NBA. As a fan of Carolina, I am unconcerned with that other than how it impacts future recruiting.

Hopefully, there's some sort of middle ground where Mando can work on some of those things for his future benefit but for games, he sticks to the game plan of domination under the rim.

Reactions: alabamaheel
Brook Lopez rarely even attempt a 3-pointer during his first 8 years in the league. He made a grand total of 3 3-pointers over those 8 seasons. But when he saw the way the league was trending, he started working on his shot. So he was 29 years old when he added a 3pt shot to his game. A few years later he set the record for most 3s made by a center in a single season.

But sure, 22 year old Armando Bacot "is what he is" and will never develop outside shooting skills.

I think you would lead the board in those votes, just a guess.

To be clear, I’m not necessarily an adversary of yours, I agree with many of your takes, just not your abrasive approach.

I think you would lead the board in those votes, just a guess.

To be clear, I’m not necessarily an adversary of yours, I agree with many of your takes, just not your abrasive approach.
Do you believe Bacot is a finished product 3 months after he turned 22, and is incapable of learning how to shoot from outside?

More important that he can guard ball screens and not be a liability when getting switched onto guards and ball handlers.

There are plenty of big guys that can't shoot that have been viable contributors in the modern NBA: Javale McGee, Dwight Howard, Kevon Looney, Steven Adams, Ivaca Zubac. That's who he has to model his game at the next level in all likelihood.

I think there can be a role for him but it'll be dependent where. All of the big guys above that found their niche played on pretty talented teams.

Do you believe Bacot is a finished product 3 months after he turned 22, and is incapable of learning how to shoot from outside?

Irrelevant, that’s not part of my argument. I’ll bite though & say that I certainly believe Bacot’s game can evolve from where it is now. My point is that you would probably lead the board in downvotes if they had that category because you are somewhat abrasive with your style.

More important that he can guard ball screens and not be a liability when getting switched onto guards and ball handlers.

There are plenty of big guys that can't shoot that have been viable contributors in the modern NBA: Javale McGee, Dwight Howard, Kevon Looney, Steven Adams, Ivaca Zubac. That's who he has to model his game at the next level in all likelihood.

I think there can be a role for him but it'll be dependent where. All of the big guys above that found their niche played on pretty talented teams.
I agree. I don’t think a lot of people realize how situational the nba is.

You are living in a dream world looking through baby blue glasses. I'd be satisfied if Bacot could just up his free throw percentage. His game is his game. But with that theory, maybe Hubert can take Davis and Love and spend all summer working on a jump hook so they can post up in the lane. Live in the real world.

You are living in a dream world looking through baby blue glasses. I'd be satisfied if Bacot could just up his free throw percentage. His game is his game. But with that theory, maybe Hubert can take Davis and Love and spend all summer working on a jump hook so they can post up in the lane. Live in the real world.
So because I don't agree with your belief that a 22 year old is a finished product, I'm living in a dream world looking through baby blue glasses?

I'm curious. How many more basketball players do I need to post examples of adding a 3pt shot after the age of 22 for you to admit you don't have a clue what you're talking about?

Its just bizarre to encounter Tar Heel fans who believe players can't develop new aspects to their game through hard work. Like, did you not see Hansbrough add a reliable midrange shot his junior season? Did you miss Jackie Manuel adding a 3pt shot during his 4 years as a pro? Did you ignore that Jordan developed a post up game later in his career? Did you ignore how Jamison's game changed from a PF in college to a SF in the pros?

This is just mind-blowing. You actually believe basketball players are finished products in college. That's some Kyrie Irving flat-earth level stupidity you are exhibiting.

Last edited:
Mando, maybe basketball I.Q and big body makes him a Draymond Green. Every team has a big that doesn't shoot threes somewhere on there roster, why not Mando.

Mando, maybe basketball I.Q and big body makes him a Draymond Green. Every team has a big that doesn't shoot threes somewhere on there roster, why not Mando.
Don't make Mando anything he isn't. He isn't Dramyond Green. But that doesn't mean he can't cultivate a role for himself at the next level.

A big plus is he'll be playing in a more NBA-style system for two years. I think if he played in Roy's system for all 4 years, he'd have a harder time translating.

Reactions: superstar57
Agreed Draymond type triple double offensive skill set and elite defense on ball outside the paint and physically in the paint is not a comp for Mando.

I also agree that developing range for a jump shot is something the NBA coaches very well, not so much in college where the strength against college kids is often enough to be dominant. Wendell Carter Jr's. marked improvement in that area to now be solid from 3 is an example, as he came into the league woefully lacking that skill set, yet he is still SUPER young for having his years and experience in the league with a stretched skill set now. Mando will need to do similar. He is older now, and is far behind in working on that area of development, but it can be improved.

Mando will have to be able to guard when put into switches and become a two way player. Rim protect and be able to move laterally on smaller guys when put into pick and rolls. The days of camping out in the paint to rebound is over. You will be attacked and de-pantsed regularly.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT