ADVERTISEMENT

Bacot back...

I'm getting excited to see our team. I like the idea of more spacing, more shooters and Bacot roaming the paint alone (leaving room for the guards to drive).

My concerns are our plan that addition by subtraction is gonna make us better than last year. We lost a HOF coach and 4 bigs (2 of which would have been REALLY GOOD this year). We got a good player who can shoot and we are expecting some big jumps in production from just about everyone across the board. The obvious lack of a sub for Bacot is a concern for just about everyone.

I still think we become a better team than we were last year. Love me some Heels!!
Cann we just start already!

I'm getting excited to see our team. I like the idea of more spacing, more shooters and Bacot roaming the paint alone (leaving room for the guards to drive).
I'm not sure we'll see as radical a change as some anticipate --- I'm thinking more UNC circa 2005 with Hybrids manning the 4. In other words, less "T-Game" action and more perimeter motion in Freelance --- but yes, I'm also stoked for several reasons.

I also agree about being concerned about a backup 5 (which is why I choose to hold out hope that Ster comes back).

I'm not sure we'll see as radical a change as some anticipate --- I'm thinking more UNC circa 2005 with Hybrids manning the 4. In other words, less "T-Game" action and more perimeter motion in Freelance --- but yes, I'm also stoked for several reasons.

I also agree about being concerned about a backup 5 (which is why I choose to hold out hope that Ster comes back).
We’re in accord on both points.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS and gary-7

Are they positive Sharpe is 100% gone at this point?

Are they positive Sharpe is 100% gone at this point?
99.9 ;)
Although he can technically still come back under the new rules, I believe his decision is set in stone, especially since he still apparently has late-1st-round projections.

I'm sure most of us who wish he would've stayed and played himself into a lotto pick, but that ship has sailed, so best of luck to him.

G, I agree with more of this than disagree, disagree mostly on grounds more of semantics so that would be minor stuff, as in how we may see the changes I see coming as "radical" or more slighter adjustments. I do think our 05 team was more about situation forcing the change than coaching decision on preferred style of play. Roy inherited most of that 05 roster, did bring in Marvin but at 6'9" and 230lbs Marvin fit the bill for UNC 4 even if he was not a solid out side jump shooter (which he of course was). My point is moving forward Roy gravitated more to the twin tower big men more than bring in more Jawad Williams types. The difference, Hubert is by choice bringing more hybrid 4s by choice, actively looking for those that jump shoot IMO.

The point I do respectfully disagree with is concerns Sterling (not looking to throw shade at Sterling, already thrown all the shade toward him I am prepared to). I have thought about this a good bit, have kinda gone back and forth trying to see this question from all angles. I am that guy that fully believes in the importance of big men in the college game, I do believe big men are more game changers than guards. Having said that, we have to play the cards we have and maybe not so much dream of the cards we prefer to have.

Bottom line is that you MUST have 3 dependable big men that can all play extended minutes if called on to do so. I prefer 4 (last season we had 4) but that 4th guy much of the time does not get the PT we or he prefers. Look at our roster for next season, we have Bacot, Mancek, McKoy, and Styles. Now we can argue that maybe we may have preferred someone in place of any of these kids but Hubert brought them in (well all but Bacot but he clearly worked hard to keep Bacot with us and succeeded). Point being we already have 4 front court guys and considering the mix we have I am thinking right now that Styles ends up the guy with the lesser PT (the fate of the 4th big). Thou Styles may be a bit undersized he is still a serious player and a kid I think needs all the PT he will be able to get in the more limited 4th big man role. Bringing in a 5th or bringing back a 5th front court player limits the development court time for Styles and I have finally concluded that trade off is not worth it unless that big that would be brought in is a big timer day 1 and outside of Kessler or the kid that played for Marquette last, not sure I see a guy that fits that mold. I am much higher on both of our incoming freshmen than I think most are, I think both are serious players that could well be future starters for us. Honestly, I could see Styles making a serious challenge for 3rd big man if Mckoy does not really work to hold that spot down. Styles just really reminds me of one of my 10 favorite (maybe even top 5 favorite Tar Heel players) in George Lynch, has that same kind of motor, hints of that same kind of strength of will and leadership that bonds teams together. A bit of the same thing we see from Ant Harris, maybe not the most skilled guy you will see but when he is on the floor his team just seems to come together when they see the energy and passion he plays with, I think he will become a fan favorite very quickly.

Reactions: shun1
99.9 ;)
Although he can technically still come back under the new rules, I believe his decision is set in stone, especially since he still apparently has late-1st-round projections.

I'm sure most of us who wish he would've stayed and played himself into a lotto pick, but that ship has sailed, so best of luck to him.
Not so sure, if he got an agent, I do not know for sure that he has but I do assume he has, I think for him to be able to come back that he would have to go undrafted thru the draft and he will be drafted, maybe not first round but if not then early second for sure. You may be right but this is how I understand it right now. The NLI stuff could change that as well but don't think any of us know what to expect on that front.

I would put the chances of our getting Sharpe back around .00001%. Wish he would have taken more time, like Bacot did, leaving his options more open in the event he slips draft position to a point that he may prefer to come back. I would LOVE to see Sharpe come back for another season with us, he would be the easy day 1 starter, would cost Styles some PT however, got to take the good with the less than. There was (trying to say this nicely) some less that desired over all team chemistry on the team and I wonder how much of that effected Sharpe's decision to kind of close the door on a return when he announced.

BTW G, not trying to be disagreeable with you this morning, you just have brought up some interesting discussion points I wanted to speak to.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS and gary-7
All depends on Caleb Love’s development.

To be great Caleb has to have a complete turn around, but to be good he only needs to make the average 2nd year leap. Trust me I believe in Love's game, and unlike HOF coach Williams, Hubert will not put so much pressure on his PG, but with all that said Love has to improve.

To be great Caleb has to have a complete turn around, but to be good he only needs to make the average 2nd year leap. Trust me I believe in Love's game, and unlike HOF coach Williams, Hubert will not put so much pressure on his PG, but with all that said Love has to improve.
Curious as to why you think the PG responsibilities are going to be significantly different?

Not sure about the responsibilities lessening, but maybe shifting a bit. I think the offense will be more conducive to Caleb's strength with less congestion in the paint, allowing a bit more space when he gets into the lane.

I think he will be able to finish at a higher clip at the rim, and also draw and either lob to Mando, which Mando should thrive in, or kick to more spotted up 3balls.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
It's a relief that it's finally official.

When I heard he hadn't been invited to the combine, that made it seem nearly certain. But actually certain is better.

Last edited:
Not sure about the responsibilities lessening, but maybe shifting a bit. I think the offense will be more conducive to Caleb's strength with less congestion in the paint, allowing a bit more space when he gets into the lane.

I think he will be able to finish at a higher clip at the rim, and also draw and either lob to Mando, which Mando should thrive in, or kick to more spotted up 3balls.
Yeah, until I'm told or see otherwise, I find it hard to imagine Hubert deviating from the Fast Break / Secondary Break / Freelance sequence tree, which is highly dependent on Floor Generalship from our PG.

What I suspect we'll see is more Hi-Lo action, more in-out 4-5 interchanges, etc.

One thing that should be available for Caleb in the Hybrid version of our offense is more opportunity for posting up smaller defenders (y'all remember McCants doing that from the 2 and just abusing guys?).

Sharpe is withdrawing from the NBA Combine… which is weird? I would have thought he wanted to improve his stock with measurements and eyes on?? #curious #99.8 ?

Sharpe is withdrawing from the NBA Combine… which is weird? I would have thought he wanted to improve his stock with measurements and eyes on?? #curious #99.8 ?
I thought the same thing. I then thought, he very well may have got a guarantee from a team who have been known to assure that choice to persuade the player and agent not to attend.

Who knows, maybe he is over ideal weight, or wants to avoid team interviews? It would be a curious decision to skip as his measurable are a definite plus for him without something being in place with a team.

Sounds like Sharpe has guarantee from team that they are gonna take him. No need to risk anything at this point if he does.

Yeah, completely agree that the responsibilities for our PGs will not change ( I am speaking to the offensive end) much but I do think the framework that allows our PGs top execute successfully will. Radically change, depends on how one defines radical. A lesser change that has a positive effect can provide much better over all results and look radically different when it actually was not a radical change. Have no fear, our centers will not lead us in 3pt attempts nor will our power forwards be bringing the ball up court as much as our PGs.

I see 2 major changes coming, major to me because I feel they are so badly needed but certainly not major as in doing away with our primary or secondary breaking or our free lance precepts. The first and most important is reducing the congestion in the lane to allow guards more room to drive and either finish or distribute and allows big men more room to operate. Hubert is looking to do that by methods gary spoke to, more hi/low, pulling shooting threat 4s out to drag their defenders from the paint, ect.

The second change I expect is a much stronger emphasis on outside shooting from the 3 and 4 specifically but over all more of a green light. We had really only 1 dependable shooter last season in Walton but later season both Caleb and RJ did seem to me to be coming on as shooters, with that natural freshman to soph bounce from an off season of working on what was learned as freshmen, I am expecting MUCH improved shooting numbers from those 3. The frosh Dunn is a kid that I do think will as well play in to our having improved outside shooting, Puff IMO plays in to this as well. And don't forget Manek and McKoy can and will step outside as well. This means defenses will find it harder to collapse in when we can have multiple outside threats that must be checked.

What hurt us so badly last season was way to much stagnant offense, if we could not get the primary or secondary and the lane being so clogged there were few easy passing lanes, it bogged down to way to much pounding the ball outside with little purpose. When you compounded that with Leaky not being a big scoring threat from the 3 and Brooks not exactly a serious outside threat. It resulted in to many games where we struggled to score 30pts in the first half, UNC should consistently be flirting with 50pt halves, less than 40pt haves can not be acceptable in todays shot clock game.

So there is the why it was stagnant and the effects, how the changes I expect can solve a lot will define for you if you see them as radical or simply some needed adjustments, define it for yourself, what really matters is how it translates in to better results on the scoreboard.

All of which also says we do not need too many back to the basket space eaters! We can use speed, interchangeability, and switching Ds to handle it and give Bacot a breather! I expect he will vault to the top of All ACC and splash on the All NCAA team!

Reactions: DSouthr
All of which also says we do not need too many back to the basket space eaters! We can use speed, interchangeability, and switching Ds to handle it and give Bacot a breather! I expect he will vault to the top of All ACC and splash on the All NCAA team!
Right now I do think we have 2 guys that could well end up 1st team All ACC and potentially first team NCAA AA in Bacot and Love. The table IMO will be absolutely set for Love to thrive, think about it? The kid uses his length and ability to slither in to finish at the rim, it was the best part of his game last season. To be able to do that in a LESS CONGESTED lane really opens the door for him. When you combine that with more outside shooting threats that will not allow defenses to collapse in on Love's drives, well the best part of the kid's game is featured. And the worst part of his game last season, the huge TO numbers should reduce again, lest congestion in the lane allows him easier passing angles as well as ability to see more outlet kick outs if defenders do collapse down on him.

Combine that with just the natural progression we always see from frosh to soph season due to their having the complete off season to expand on what they learned last season, gets me excited. Caleb and RJ will be a LOT better and that will take a lot of pressure off Walton and Dunn and give them cleaner looks. And yes, been saying all this off season, I fully expect to see Puff stepping up and becoming an important guy for us out of the wing spot, sure hope he can pack on a needed 15lbs this summer!

Prolly has a "guaranteed" pick from someone --- although I'd love to think otherwise ;]
Yeah, totally agree! Rumor has it that Utah has given him heads up. Thing is, I don't trust "guarantees" from NBA teams, funny how things change and all the sudden your guarantee isn't what you thought it was! Cue the scene about guarantees from the movie Tommy Boy! LOL

Seems like one could easily get burnt with a deal like that. Not sure of the legality if they back out on him for some reason.

Gray, there is none, there actually can not be anything legally binding until the draft actually happens.
Both sides are working the gray areas ( no pun intended). Just like college recruiting though if they actually do make the promise and then don't follow through that gets around quickly. Not a reputation you want with players or the players union.

There may not be any guarantee, the agent might be using this as a ploy to "warn" interested teams not to wait until the 2nd round. Someone is already set to take him if he falls to them.

I hope there is an evolution to the offense. One of my pet peeves is in a late clock situation, we still have 2 big guys sometimes both trying to post up. It was a really inefficient offense and horrid design. I think Manek naturally will lessen that, but there needs to be an emphasis on spacing.

Reactions: Dave Vass
Sdung with the extremely lazy, borderline idiotic take! Completely DSPN like to repeat what some talking head said of you! Roy didn't design an inefficient offense and forget that spacing is important! It is hard to "open the lane" if you have one shooter and he depends on a pass to get open! UNC's offence is fine, but the players couldn't execute it. I'm sure it would be easy to fix UNC's offensive issues from our basements! If only Roy had learned of this new concept....spacing will really change the game!

Reactions: FlaTarHeel
Sdung with the extremely lazy, DOOK idiotic take! Completely DSPN like to repeat what some talking head said of you! Roy didn't design an inefficient offense and forget that spacing is important! It is hard to "open the lane" if you have one shooter and he depends on a pass to get open! UNC's offence is fine, but the players couldn't execute it. I'm sure it would be easy to fix UNC's offensive issues from our basements! If only Roy had learned of this new concept....spacing will really change the game!
FIFY

I hope there is an evolution to the offense. One of my pet peeves is in a late clock situation, we still have 2 big guys sometimes both trying to post up. It was a really inefficient offense and horrid design. I think Manek naturally will lessen that, but there needs to be an emphasis on spacing.
Have you listen to Hubert at all since he was named as our head coach? Because he has taken EVERY opportunity that I have seen to share his vision is dedicated to creating the very spacing you say you want? May as well say I want to see blue and white on our uniforms as if you are not sure that will happen? Has that not been made crystal clear to you when you look at the portal additions Hubert has brought in, in the recruits he has offered for front court positions?

What do you think that will look like?

Less set plays. Roy definitely likes to run, but when we were not running our PG is leading a set play.

Todays game is turning position less, 6'6 PGs are normal. 7 footers shooting threes are normal. It makes me even madder that Kessler is gone because his versatility was probarly not going to shine under Roy, but Hubert MAYBE could have shown that off.

Caleb is a combo guard all day, so he needs more freestyle to shine. It would be nice if Leaky would be consistant and you could have Leaky, RJ, and love making things happen.

Hope i answered that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT