ADVERTISEMENT

Big new offer...

Lively would be awesome. My 2022 dream class is:

Lively - C
Green - PF
Traudt - PF/SF
Shtolzberg - PG (If you don't know, you better ask somebody)

Of course there are better players than the ones listed above. But we need multi-year guys. All 4 of the above guys are that. Guys that can develop in our system and have the talent to be All-ACC performers when they are upperclassmen. Like Nick Smith might be the best scorer in the class. and supposedly likes us a lot. But if he's set on being a one year guy, no thanks.

More Shtolzberg.

@dadika13 Just so you know, he's on our radar. Or at least he was with Roy at the helm.

He reminds me of Marcus a bit. Not sure he'll reach that level but I think this kid can play. I have family in Cali that have seen him. I think he's a 4 year program guy that can play on or off the ball by the time he's an upperclassman. Might be a stretch for him to come all the way across the country though.

More Shtolzberg.

@dadika13 Just so you know, he's on our radar. Or at least he was with Roy at the helm.

He reminds me of Marcus a bit. Not sure he'll reach that level but I think this kid can play. I have family in Cali that have seen him. I think he's a 4 year program guy that can play on or off the ball by the time he's an upperclassman. Might be a stretch for him to come all the way across the country though.
Just watched all 3 videos, I like this kid a lot.

The first thing that stands out to me (other than the fact that he can shoot the lights out) is how strong he is and he plays strong when he gets into the lane. Head always up the court, always ready to shoot on the catch, and looks very much in control of the game at all points.

I hope Hubert stays on this kid, he's the type that seemingly kills us every year with 30 on 6 threes.

Kid is interesting, seems physically mature for his age, I get a bit more of a platek like as a senior in high school vibe from him, not overly impressed with the competition he went against in the clips. A lot of that he would not be able to get away with in the ACC version of the college game. Does look like a solid shooter but screams 2 guard to me and I just don't think we need another 2 guard. I want a quickster PG that is a big time assist guy and floor general and shoots just enough that defenses have to stay on him.

Kid is interesting, seems physically mature for his age, I get a bit more of a platek like as a senior in high school vibe from him, not overly impressed with the competition he went against in the clips. A lot of that he would not be able to get away with in the ACC version of the college game. Does look like a solid shooter but screams 2 guard to me and I just don't think we need another 2 guard. I want a quickster PG that is a big time assist guy and floor general and shoots just enough that defenses have to stay on him.
I am with you DSouthr, I really didn't see anything there that screams Carolina pount guard. I see what I think could be a nice player, and I like his strength, but I really don't see much burst from him whatsoever.

Agree 100%, give me Bradley or Dillingham (my personal preference), and I’d rather have a junior & senior RJ Davis than that guy. I also feel like Jones Angell agrees, just so he doesn’t have to pronounce his name 10 or more times during a game.

Jesus Dave cuz he’s white he’s Platek? That is an amazingly lazy comparison.

I watched Platek as a senior in HS live a few times, he was no where near this level of floor leader. This kid’s shot is much smoother and he gets it off much quicker. He also looks for contact in the lane and I saw 5-6 passes he made that Platek has never made.

The comparison is just bad. I think he’s closer to Leslie.

I watched Platek as a senior in HS live a few times, he was no where near this level of floor leader. This kid’s shot is much smoother and he gets it off much quicker. He also looks for contact in the lane and I saw 5-6 passes he made that Platek has never made.

His ceiling is about 10 floors above Andrew Platek (no disrespect). This kid has that thing - the kind of “it” that can’t really be explained. It’s maybe a combination of leadership, poise, and luck. But you know it when you see it. This kid is severely underrated and I bet he will make a name for himself at whatever college he attends.

Oh yeah, I think VT just offered.

MCDonald? I thought that too at first. He’s built like him. But he’s a much better ball handler and passer than Leslie. And he’s got a much better feel for the game.

If we want a multi year pg Jazian Gortman, Jalen Hood-Schifino aren't bad options.... Jaden Bradley is a bad man though. With Robert Dill now talking about G league being an option for 2023 class I hope UNC gets in on Caleb Foster who is from Charlotte and plays for Oak Hill Rob is the better scorer but Caleb the better PG and bigger. NC has a few kids in the 23 class at PG spot who if they stay on track will be UNC good Aden Holloway, Jaydon young, Trey Green.... Shooting guard/Forward Isaiah Washington, Ja'Kwon Moore, Wesley Tubbs and a power forward in Meki Grant. The 2023 class is high level and should have quite a few top 100 guys.

My point in using Platek was to reference a kid that was able to do more in high school with things that did not exactly translate to the college game, not because of his skin color. Why is it now days everything seems to come down to skin color, especially when skin color had nothing at all to do with the subject at hand...

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
I saw plenty of highlights of Platek in high school. I never saw anything in those highlights that made me think that he would play at UNC. I have not watched the highlights of the player from California. It seems too far to chase prospects

Don’t quit your day job, Bob.
Ok. I'll keep my day job. He has offers from Yale, Lehigh, Cal St Northridge. He's not good. The players in the highlights look like Will Smith's opponents on ' Fresh Prince of Bel Air'. He has heavy legs. Perhaps could ride the bench at Northwestern.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Emoni Bates decommitted from Michigan State! Probably G bound but you have to roll the dice no?
Don't think I would roll them dice on this kid, very likely he does not play college ball at all. But more than that he is a kid that will look for huge PT and need to be the primary focus of the program he plays for if he does play college ball and IMO that may not work well for the chemistry of this particular group we now have.

Ok. I'll keep my day job. He has offers from Yale, Lehigh, Cal St Northridge. He's not good. The players in the highlights look like Will Smith's opponents on ' Fresh Prince of Bel Air'. He has heavy legs. Perhaps could ride the bench at Northwestern.
But, but . . . Lehigh is better than Duke, so this kid must be really good.

Kid is interesting, seems physically mature for his age, I get a bit more of a platek like as a senior in high school vibe from him,
I don’t know where he fits into Hubert’s pecking order, but he strikes me as someone who can play in the ACC, a Syracuse-style recruit who can more than hold his own by his junior or senior season.

He appears to have a quicker trigger and more accuracy than Platek. More importantly, it looks like he can go get his own shot, something that Platek often struggled to do.

Just watched the vids on Ben. I’d take him in a heartbeat. Kid can fill it up, and passes when his defender gets help off the drive. Competition didn’t seem horrible either. You can here the coach as he received each pass, and all the comments were as if it was going to be an automatic make. That says a lot to me.

How anyone can watch Ben play and not think he could be successful in the ACC is beyond me! I do not see any Platek, but I do see some Leslie in him. He seems to have the athleticism to become a good team defender and is a + shooter. His confidence, especially after missing a shot is excellent and he seems imminently coachable! This kid should give us 2-3 years and would be a real asset to the Heels. He would thrive under Hubs tutelage!

Join the Family, Mr. Shtolzberg!

How anyone can watch Ben play and not think he could be successful in the ACC is beyond me! I do not see any Platek, but I do see some Leslie in him. He seems to have the athleticism to become a good team defender and is a + shooter. His confidence, especially after missing a shot is excellent and he seems imminently coachable! This kid should give us 2-3 years and would be a real asset to the Heels. He would thrive under Hubs tutelage!

Join the Family, Mr. Shtolzberg!
Leslie?? As in Leslie McDonald? They both have heavy legs. McDonald was a poor ballhandler and defender. He was reputed to be a good shooter, but he only shot 38% FG and 69% FT for his career. McDonald was a recruiting mistake, and this fellow would be much worse

Hubert just offered Jalen Washington from Gary Indiana after his monster weekend playing for Mean Streets out of Chicago.

He has had a couple leg injuries, but looks 100% again. Long athletic shooter and finisher. He was top 5, some top 1 or 2 as a freshman before the set backs. Was still ranked around 20 to 25 in the nation after a solid comeback last season for Gary West Side. That was before his dominant showing this week, he will be back at the very top level very soon for his class.

Last edited:
Hubert just offered Jalen Washington from Gary Indiana after his monster weekend playing for Mean Streets out of Chicago.

He has had a couple leg injuries, but looks 100% again. Long athletic shooter and finisher. He was top 5, some top 1 or 2 as a freshman before the set backs. Was still ranked around 20 to 25 in the nation after a solid comeback last season for Gary West Side. That was before his dominant showing this week, he will be back at the very top level very soon for his class.
Certainly seems like a guy we'd like to be in on - hopefully we can stay on top with all the local contenders/offers

I hate to respond directly to posters due to the emotional effect, but Mr. Crane you are unusually harsh when critiquing Tar Heels! The list of those you deem mistakes or not worthy seems to grow every day! LMac was affected by serious leg injuries. Pre-injury he had + athleticism and was growing into a +defender. His shooting prowess was on the rise as well and he was developing a go-to mid-range game, but boom he got injured!. He was NOT a mistake, but he was unlucky! Hard to have shooting progress if you can't put in the work and can't trust the wheels you are landing on!

Ben isn't a speed demon but seems to be able to get his shot off anyway due to quick release, catching already squared and ready; and knowing how to get separation either using picks or advanced moves! Seems a no brainer glue guy who grows into a real problem for opponents!

Will most likely be the best player in the state of Indiana next season. Very high upside now that he is healthy

I see that PG Nolan Hickman just decommitted from Kentucky. He's ranked #29 by 247.

Should we be interested?
Big reason he decommitted from UK was due to the coaching changes and the distance. I believe it would be a waste of time to try to get involved in this recruitment. Kid had Arizona State on his list, and UK's assistant that was his #1 recruiter just left for Arizona State so I would say they will be getting in the mix, but all in all, highly doubt Hickman leaves the west coast at this point.

Hubert just offered Jalen Washington
Sounds like a great prospect. Here's the blurb from 247

Has ideal combination of size, length, skill and athleticism at the forward position. Has a huge wingspan and great hands, A new age power forward with tremendous upside. Can make shots from three, score down low or create off the dribble, A do-it-all player. A tremendous rebounder and someone who should be able to defend all over the court. He has to continue to get stronger and more consistent with his motor, but the physical tools and skills are there for him to be an elite prospect.​
Also sounds like OAD or direct to G League. But I'm glad to see Hubert going after such quality. Can't get them if you don't offer them.

Big reason he decommitted from UK was due to the coaching changes and the distance. I believe it would be a waste of time to try to get involved in this recruitment. Kid had Arizona State on his list, and UK's assistant that was his #1 recruiter just left for Arizona State so I would say they will be getting in the mix, but all in all, highly doubt Hickman leaves the west coast at this point.
I'm not of the opinion that we need a PG at this juncture. But it's a shame we didn't at least have a chance to mull it over.

Sounds like a great prospect. Here's the blurb from 247

Has ideal combination of size, length, skill and athleticism at the forward position. Has a huge wingspan and great hands, A new age power forward with tremendous upside. Can make shots from three, score down low or create off the dribble, A do-it-all player. A tremendous rebounder and someone who should be able to defend all over the court. He has to continue to get stronger and more consistent with his motor, but the physical tools and skills are there for him to be an elite prospect.​
Also sounds like OAD or direct to G League. But I'm glad to see Hubert going after such quality. Can't get them if you don't offer them.
I agree, he can shoot it, and is certainly looking to be a stretch guy. Slender at the mo.ent, but a huge talent.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT