ADVERTISEMENT

Billy Ross is transferring

WoadBlue

Hall of Famer
Aug 15, 2008
As the OL is obviously the weak link on the offense, that could be a big concern. As a redshirt freshman in 2018, Ross started 11 games, and played 587 snaps. He was a very promising rs-FR RG. Last year, he began to disappear, even though the OL was thin with very little action from non-starters.

Ross's plan is to graduate this Fall and then play elsewhere in 2021. He is the second heavily recruited OL player to transfer since the close of last season.

At this point, the staff is only comfortable with 6 players on the OL. Mack says the team needs 8 and could use 10.

There is good player development creating depth at every position group except the OL.

Is this a form of "opt out" ?

Why transfer when it seems he would see playing time?

As the OL is obviously the weak link on the offense, that could be a big concern. As a redshirt freshman in 2018, Ross started 11 games, and played 587 snaps. He was a very promising rs-FR RG. Last year, he began to disappear, even though the OL was thin with very little action from non-starters.

Ross's plan is to graduate this Fall and then play elsewhere in 2021. He is the second heavily recruited OL player to transfer since the close of last season.

At this point, the staff is only comfortable with 6 players on the OL. Mack says the team needs 8 and could use 10.

There is good player development creating depth at every position group except the OL.

He played a lot in '18, and less in '19. For what ever reason, he wasn't fitting into the current system.
Coaching problem or athlete problem?
O-Line seems to be a recruiting problem for the 2021 class.

In many programs the OL doesn't rotate with the same frequency as other positions. So often being second-string sometimes means you only get PT during mop-up duty.

Searels rotated left guard quite a bit with EZ and Montilus, but I have a feeling that's because they weren't 100% happy with Montilus (conditioning-wise or maybe something else) as the game went on.

He played a lot in '18, and less in '19. For what ever reason, he wasn't fitting into the current system.
Coaching problem or athlete problem?
O-Line seems to be a recruiting problem for the 2021 class.
We have Mack saying right now that the OL only has 6 guys they feel really comfortable with, and they need 8 for sure and would prefer 10.

So where is the OL development? And why did Searels last year all but refuse to play Ross? It is possible that Kapilovic left most of the young, potentially good, OL undeveloped, but Ross played in 2018 and certainly looked no worse than what we saw at OG last year: he also was up and down.

Is this a form of "opt out" ?

Why transfer when it seems he would see playing time?
Searels played him very little last year, after he played all of 2018.

This is the Searles who fans of both VT and Miami felt harmed their OL development and made questionable decisions about offers and playing time.

Too bad. Since this season doesn’t count toward eligibility, it would seem ideal to practice, play some,and get better

Searels played him very little last year, after he played all of 2018.

This is the Searles who fans of both VT and Miami felt harmed their OL development and made questionable decisions about offers and playing time.

Searles isn't running anything at UNC so I'm not worried about him making questionable decisions about offers and playing time with Mack/Longo etc here. O line has a ton of under-classmen that will continue to get better plus a fantastic recruit coming in with Sutton.

Reactions: Archer2
Murray wasn’t in Mack’s “six” that were ready because he dinged up. When healthy, he’s one of our best young OL. I hate that Ross left but he evidently didn’t envision the amount of PT that he wants. I wish him luck. Barring significant health issues, either the Wuhan Flu or injuries, our OL should be fine. It’s time for guys like Barnes to step up.

Searles isn't running anything at UNC so I'm not worried about him making questionable decisions about offers and playing time with Mack/Longo etc here. O line has a ton of under-classmen that will continue to get better plus a fantastic recruit coming in with Sutton.

He actually recruited Sutton. I do think we could do better with that position group, though, especially with the number of talented in state OL this cycle. And we still might. Still a ways until signing day.

He actually recruited Sutton. I do think we could do better with that position group, though, especially with the number of talented in state OL this cycle. And we still might. Still a ways until signing day.

The Hall of Fame coach had a little say in it, too.

Reactions: bobcrane14
Murray wasn’t in Mack’s “six” that were ready because he dinged up. When healthy, he’s one of our best young OL. I hate that Ross left but he evidently didn’t envision the amount of PT that he wants. I wish him luck. Barring significant health issues, either the Wuhan Flu or injuries, our OL should be fine. It’s time for guys like Barnes to step up.
Murray fully healthy makes only, and 2 of them play C. That leaves 1 reserve for 4 positions.

OL players usually get dinged a lot.

Two of the promising young guys we had on the OL this time last year have transferred out. If Mack were saying that we have 8 guys ready to go right now, with Murray fully healthy making #9, then we would understand why two guys left. But two left, and we have no more than 7 ready to play once Murray gets back.

That does not show good development on the OL.

Reactions: bobcrane14
Me personally I would like to see Barnes step up. He was a big time get outta FL so let’s man up and produce big fella.

The talent is there, just young/inexperienced, and needs to be developed. Barnes, Richards, Adorno, Miller, Baker, Zimmerman, Montilus, Murray...off the top of my head. Probably missing a couple, but most of those guys were heavily recruited. OL should be a strength in a year or two. Hope to see some improvement this season. We'll see.

Last edited:
Reactions: Archer2
I had very high hopes for Barnes. As a RSO, it’s time for him to step up and fulfill his potential. If he does and Murray gets healthy, we’ve got our “great eight” the coaches want.

Anyone know the extent of Barnes’ injury?

I had very high hopes for Barnes. As a RSO, it’s time for him to step up and fulfill his potential. If he does and Murray gets healthy, we’ve got our “great eight” the coaches want.

Anyone know the extent of Barnes’ injury?

Wasn’t aware he was injured

ADVERTISEMENT