ADVERTISEMENT

Carolina and international recruiting

keysersosay#1

Hall of Famer
Apr 7, 2006
We seemed to have all but abandoned the International pipeline for good players from overseas. Teams like FSU, Clemson and now UVA ,which just inked a high quality Euro player, seemed to have established inroads for high quality players especially BIGS.

We did have some good Euros... Rodl, Bucknall and others that played important roles for DES. Roy backed off of that approach and IMO we need to restart the ability to attract high quality players form overseas, especially BIG players that can shoot it

Reactions: Archer2
Evtimov!

I think Hubs will make some inroads now that we are apparently going toward a more Euro Big friendly scheme!

Scheme seems nba-ish favoring the euro bigs but remember Hubert also said we would be Carolina, we will run too.
I agree we ought to be looking over there. My concern is if we get someone say from a national team then they are "technically" a pro.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
No need to worry about any charges of being a "pro". With the NLI coming down the road, and that is probably just the start, they all will in truth be pros. Many already are anyway, so it is all mostly window dressing ro make it legal

No need to worry about any charges of being a "pro". With the NLI coming down the road, and that is probably just the start, they all will in truth be pros. Many already are anyway, so it is all mostly window dressing ro make it legal
I agree. It signals the end of amateurism in college sports. I think the fans that are endorsing NIL now will come to regret what it does to college athletics in just a few short years.

Last edited:
I agree. It signals the end of amateurism in college sports. I think the fans that are endorsing NIL now will come to regret what it does to college athletics in just a few short years.
Amateurism ended when they started giving out scholarships. Then it ended when they started getting stipends. Am I leaving out any other time it ended? I wonder what my generation's "get off my porch" amateurism is dead moment will be.

Amateurism ended when they started giving out scholarships. Then it ended when they started getting stipends. Am I leaving out any other time it ended? I wonder what my generation's "get off my porch" amateurism is dead moment will be.
NIL for sure.

The true amateur athlete ended decades ago in reality. Just look at the academics. I'd venture to say that 95%, maybe more, of Power 5 basketball and football players couldn't come close to sniffing admittance to their chosen university on their own academic merit. And then most all of them who just follow the plan seem to graduate where a normal student allowed in these universities at the NCAA clearinghouse level would have a real struggle Just to keep up. Then you talk about the money angle. It has always been there, they are now just finding a way to make it legal. I live in SC have driven by Clemsons football facility. It looks like a new car lot. The vast majority of these kids don't come from families that can suddenly buy their child Escalades because of a scholarship. And it isn't just Clemson, that is just the example I have seen. College basketball and football have been pro sports presented to us as amateur athletics for years.

The true amateur athlete ended decades ago in reality. Just look at the academics. I'd venture to say that 95%, maybe more, of Power 5 basketball and football players couldn't come close to sniffing admittance to their chosen university on their own academic merit. And then most all of them who just follow the plan seem to graduate where a normal student allowed in these universities at the NCAA clearinghouse level would have a real struggle Just to keep up. Then you talk about the money angle. It has always been there, they are now just finding a way to make it legal. I live in SC have driven by Clemsons football facility. It looks like a new car lot. The vast majority of these kids don't come from families that can suddenly buy their child Escalades because of a scholarship. And it isn't just Clemson, that is just the example I have seen. College basketball and football have been pro sports presented to us as amateur athletics for years.
Yeah cuz Bill Walton was getting into UCLA on his stellar academic record?

• Haha
Reactions: tarheel0910
I'm really not sure why people always complain about the amateurism and wishing for the old days. Intermural sports is just like the old days. Why not just follow those teams?

Reactions: dadika13
College Athletes haven't been strictly amateurs for 50+ years. They fit all the criteria for contract employees. I watch because the product is excellent and I love following the Heels! As long as the Heels field teams, I'll attend or watch! The system is evolving and will find its footing at some point. If free agency did not doom the NFL and NBA I think college bball can withstand it. (I do believe there will be a compromise at some point regarding schollies: who pays for them, and whether they require some type of commitment)

Reactions: tarheel0910
College Athletes haven't been strictly amateurs for 50+ years. They fit all the criteria for contract employees. I watch because the product is excellent and I love following the Heels! As long as the Heels field teams, I'll attend or watch! The system is evolving and will find its footing at some point. If free agency did not doom the NFL and NBA I think college bball can withstand it. (I do believe there will be a compromise at some point regarding schollies: who pays for them, and whether they require some type of commitment)
For me the product used to excellent. Back before expansion the ACC was unbelievable in college basketball. You had experienced teams and players with stud freshmen mixed in across the board. The NCAA is fighting a losing battle in maintaining its control over the cash cow that is March Madness.

As I said, all Power 5 schools. Everybody outside of the Ivy League. Stanford and Northweastern may have some standards, but that's about it.

Wake Forest and UNC also have standards that they hold peeps to. We have seen several recent recruits that we had to pass on because they couldn't meet the entrance standards!

ADVERTISEMENT