ADVERTISEMENT

Carolina vs. FSU gamethread

Re the Targeting....It, to me, did not look deliberate...a running QB, a big lineman attempting a below the waist tackle who launches before the QB actually starts falling into him....the QB actually hit him as much as he hit the QB..

I will never understand the lack of playing time for the freshman defensive linemen. Right now Carolina runs out a James Madison level defensive line meanwhile the freshman sit.

Of course they’re not a “top level team”. I mean shot, guys — we’re just TWO years removed from a 2-win season. A lot of these guys were in those 2 and 3 win teams. We’ve been in 17 straight competitive games under Mack. Worse loss has been by 7 points. Fedora had 10 such games of losses by 2+ scores in 2017/2018. We’re doing all of this without Evans, Conley, Bingley Jones, Sinclair, Pinder etc. This is a brick by brick building of a solid foundation here, not gonna be built overnight. 4 very winnable games coming up and have a great shot at 7-1 before Notre Dame and Miami. Gonna be fun!

Go Heels!

I agree with all of this, but unfortunately once the hype train starts rolling, you need to stay on as long as possible. If we win this game we potentially get another month of every recruit in America seeing us ranked in the top 5.

Fortunately for us, everyone in the media likes Mack so they may not completely write us off yet.

Reactions: tarheel0910
I agree with all of this, but unfortunately once the hype train starts rolling, you need to stay on as long as possible. If we win this game we potentially get another month of every recruit in America seeing us ranked in the top 5.

Fortunately for us, everyone in the media likes Mack so they may not completely write us off yet.

I think recruits already have noticed with what Mack did last year in year 1. Having two top 15 classes in back to back years have also helped, one game won’t change that. Four very winnable games coming up, let’s take care of bidness.

Reactions: Archer2
Bateman deserves the boot after this game. This is humiliating.
And this is why I don’t post during games when I’m real emotional and things aren’t going well.
Of course they’re not a “top level team”. I mean shot, guys — we’re just TWO years removed from a 2-win season. A lot of these guys were in those 2 and 3 win teams. We’ve been in 17 straight competitive games under Mack. Worse loss has been by 7 points. Fedora had 10 such games of losses by 2+ scores in 2017/2018. We’re doing all of this without Evans, Conley, Bingley Jones, Sinclair, Pinder etc. This is a brick by brick building of a solid foundation here, not gonna be built overnight. 4 very winnable games coming up and have a great shot at 7-1 before Notre Dame and Miami. Gonna be fun!

Go Heels!
This is spot on. We’re still very much a work in progress.

Re the Targeting....It, to me, did not look deliberate...a running QB, a big lineman attempting a below the waist tackle who launches before the QB actually starts falling into him....the QB actually hit him as much as he hit the QB..
Your answer is the reason I assert that if you wish to cut back on head injuries, head rattling that in some cases lead to CTE, then you must penalize ny use on helmet to lead, against any player or any part of the body.

I think recruits already have noticed with what Mack did last year in year 1. Having two top 15 classes in back to back years have also helped, one game won’t change that. Four very winnable games coming up, let’s take care of bidness.

But being ranked in the top 5 is one of the ways you go from a top 15 class to competing with clemson, bama, etc. Its a status thing. Committing to clemson or bama is like wearing a Rolex or driving a Ferrari. On the other hand, committing to NCeST is like realizing you can’t afford the timex at Walmart. We want to be the Rolex that everyone wants to be seen wearing. Mack gets that which is why he focused on making it cool to be a Tar Heel. Sad as it, rankings and media coverage do play a big role in all of that.

All that being said, you’re right they have to go take care of business now. Claw your way back into the playoff conversation in time to beat Clemson.

But being ranked in the top 5 is one of the ways you go from a top 15 class to competing with clemson, bama, etc. Its a status thing. Committing to clemson or bama is like wearing a Rolex or driving a Ferrari. On the other hand, committing to NCeST is like realizing you can’t afford the timex at Walmart. We want to be the Rolex that everyone wants to be seen wearing. Mack gets that which is why he focused on making it cool to be a Tar Heel. Sad as it, rankings and media coverage do play a big role in all of that.

All that being said, you’re right they have to go take care of business now. Claw your way back into the playoff conversation in time to beat Clemson.
I agree with all of that. But... losing like they did last night only sets you back even further. Losing in the primetime spot, when you're heavily-favored, and on and on. It's just the destiny of UNC football- always the bridesmaid, never the bride.

I agree with all of that. But... losing like they did last night only sets you back even further. Losing in the primetime spot, when you're heavily-favored, and on and on. It's just the destiny of UNC football- always the bridesmaid, never the bride.

So you think we’re going to lose all our recruits because of last night? Should we shut down the program?

Yeah that's why I was so bummed out last night, and still am today. To undo that completely, they probably have to beat ND and not lose to anyone other than Clemson.

If we had kept winning but ended up losing to ND, they would have just talked about close this UNC team is to be a playoff team, and they just need one more year to be ready, blah blah blah. Now they have to prove this loss was a fluke just to get back to being considered a top level team.

Ultimately, if we aren't playing for the ACC championship, and competing for a playoff spot in the process then the season is a failure. Everything happening below that level means jack sh*t. Carolina football could have not existed for the last 20 years and it would not have changed the college football landscape at all. I hope Mack is going to change that this go round.

So you think we’re going to lose all our recruits because of last night? Should we shut down the program?

Okay clearly that isn't what anyone is saying, so we'll go ahead and set aside the hyperbole. But could we have potentially lost a chance with a high level recruit or two? Yeah. It's entirely possible that some really great high school football players watched the beginning of that game while waiting for UGA/Bama to kickoff and thought we didn't look quite as impressive as the bill of goods that was being sold. If you believe that a big win can help lock a guy in, then ya gotta believe the opposite too.

Top players want to play for the top ranked teams. So the top ranked teams keep bringing in top ranked players and stay top ranked teams. At some point ya gotta claw your way in and just hold on for dear life if you want to get to that level. It's a lot easier to go from 6 wins to 9 wins than it is to go from 9 to 12.

Um... no, I don't believe we should "shut down the program." How in the world did you draw such a conclusion to even have to ask that?

I don't know what recruits will be lost or gained over one game, neither do you... neither does anyone. I would hope not any. Frankly, I'm not especially concerned with recruits. Even if you HAVE the players, you have to have the coaches who know how to USE the players.

Okay clearly that isn't what anyone is saying, so we'll go ahead and set aside the hyperbole. But could we have potentially lost a chance with a high level recruit or two? Yeah. It's entirely possible that some really great high school football players watched the beginning of that game while waiting for UGA/Bama to kickoff and thought we didn't look quite as impressive as the bill of goods that was being sold. If you believe that a big win can help lock a guy in, then ya gotta believe the opposite too.

Top players want to play for the top ranked teams. So the top ranked teams keep bringing in top ranked players and stay top ranked teams. At some point ya gotta claw your way in and just hold on for dear life if you want to get to that level. It's a lot easier to go from 6 wins to 9 wins than it is to go from 9 to 12.

I understand the thought process of a recruit. I just think we’re all getting ahead of ourselves here. Did I just read that it’s ACC Championship game/Playoff or bust this year? In Mack’s second year? Two years removed from a 2-win season? Think we all need to settle down year a little.

Um... no, I don't believe we should "shut down the program." How in the world did you draw such a conclusion to even have to ask that?

I don't know what recruits will be lost or gained over one game, neither do you... neither does anyone. I would hope not any. Frankly, I'm not especially concerned with recruits. Even if you HAVE the players, you have to have the coaches who know how to USE the players.

Obviously being a little sarcastic but you never know with you.

I understand the thought process of a recruit. I just think we’re all getting ahead of ourselves here. Did I just read that it’s ACC Championship game/Playoff or bust this year? In Mack’s second year? Two years removed from a 2-win season? Think we all need to settle down year a little.

No I meant that in the grand scheme of things, if you're not in a conference championship game or the playoff, then any "success" pretty much means jack sh*t. We may not expect to be there this year, but if we don't get to that level, then all this hype and program building means nothing. There are no truly meaningful achievements in college football below the level of conference and national championships. None of us would call a basketball season a success without an ACC or NCAA title. That's where the football program needs to be.

2015 was the best time of my life as a college football but nobody outside of UNC's fanbase gives a damn about that season or even remembers it for that matter.

Obviously being a little sarcastic but you never know with you.
Nothing in this post was sarcastic:
There's no sarcasm in that. The "bridesmaid" metaphor just seemed appropriate. A carrot dangled in front of the horse? Is that better? There's nothing sarcastic, though.

I'm sure Mack Brown can find good players. But, there's more to this than getting recruits. UNC had far better players, supposedly, last night. They lose big when it really counts! They ALWAYS lose big when it really counts. So, you remain in the "well, overall, they're just mediocre and will always be a basketball school." Which is true. That's why Mack left 23 years ago! He's here, now, as sort of a retirement option- to enjoy his twilight years by having some fun. That's cool. I hope he DOES enjoy it. But, if you think he's going to take this program to some all-time high, like he only possibly could have done before, you're sadly mistaken.

No I meant that in the grand scheme of things, if you're not in a conference championship game or the playoff, then any "success" pretty much means jack sh*t. We may not expect to be there this year, but if we don't get to that level, then all this hype and program building means nothing. There are no meaningful achievements in college football below the level of conference and national championships. None of us would call a basketball season a success without an ACC or NCAA title. That's where the football program needs to be.

You mentioned this year in your original post
Nothing in this post was sarcastic:

There's no sarcasm in that. The "bridesmaid" metaphor just seemed appropriate. A carrot dangled in front of the horse? Is that better? There's nothing sarcastic, though.

I'm sure Mack Brown can find good players. But, there's more to this than getting recruits. UNC had far better players, supposedly, last night. They lose big when it really counts! They ALWAYS lose big when it really counts. So, you remain in the "well, overall, they're just mediocre and will always be a basketball school." Which is true. That's why Mack left 23 years ago! He's here, now, as sort of a retirement option- to enjoy his twilight years by having some fun. That's cool. I hope he DOES enjoy it. But, if you think he's going to take this program to some all-time high, like he only possibly could have done before, you're sadly mistaken.

Never said anything about getting the program back to where he left it. Merely pointing out that this program is two years removed from a 2-win season. Also pointing out the main recruits from this class; Evans, Sinclair, Pinder, Bingley Jones, West, Conley and you can throw Grimes in there as well; have limited snaps this year mostly due to injury. Mack has had them competitive in all 17 games thus far, which is pretty impressive with the roster he inherited. Lotta ballgame left this year, let’s see how they respond.

You mentioned this year in your original post

Never said anything about getting the program back to where he left it. Merely pointing out that this program is two years removed from a 2-win season. Also pointing out the main recruits from this class; Evans, Sinclair, Pinder, Bingley Jones, West, Conley and you can throw Grimes in there as well; have limited snaps this year mostly due to injury. Mack has had them competitive in all 17 games thus far, which is pretty impressive with the roster he inherited. Lotta ballgame left this year, let’s see how they respond.
I think you mixed two people together in our responses.

I'm absolutely certain that he can get the program to a better place than it was when Fedora left! He and the staff have done a lot better. I agree 100%.

My main point is, and always has been, that when it comes to the really BIG game, or the really BIG moment- that makes a difference between good/decent and VERY good- it never happens. It's a perpetual "almost" outcome.

P.S. The only time I used sarcasm in a comment to you is during the game when I said I was offering "insightful and expert commentary." During a game thread, I'm posting entirely on emotion and- if it looks really bad (like last night)- even desperation. It comes from a lifetime of UNC football letting me down when it really matters! Well... except for 1980, I think it was, when we had LT and won the ACC that one time.

It’s false that we have more talent than FSU. In the years from 2017-2020, FSU’s recruiting classes have averaged being ranked 14th nationally to our 26th. Their problem, like Miami’s, has not been a lack of talent but of coaching.

We're now 10th in Bill Connelly's SP+ overall, due to points coming from outlier factors like pick6 and blocked punt.

The D is closer to avg, apparently all defenses suck in 2020. D really only responsible for giving up 17, all in the 1st half, despite not having much depth or size up front. Not an impressive night, but could've been worse.

Last edited:
Your answer is the reason I assert that if you wish to cut back on head injuries, head rattling that in some cases lead to CTE, then you must penalize ny use on helmet to lead, against any player or any part of the body.

Then you need to penalize the offensive player who lower his head to lead as well....short yardage situations where the RB lowers his helmet and dives into the line...QB sneaks on the goal line...QB protection blocks when a RB dives head first ata charging defender.

There will always be some incidental and accidental contact in football unless you go to two hand touch. And the truth of the matter is that linemen are more succeptable to CTE...it isn't the one big blow, it is the repeated knocks to the head over time.

By analyzing the brain scans of 61 former players — half played only college ball, and the other half went on to play professionally — the researchers concluded that their hypothesis was correct: Certain positions were linked to greater white matter damage due to recurring head impacts. In particular, they looked at the effects of playing speed positions, like running backs and wide receivers, versus non-speed positions, such as offensive and defensive linemen. In general, linemen tend to bear the brunt of brain impacts, especially those to the front of the helmet. … Individuals that played non-speed positions that had a history of recurrent concussions (three or more), they found, had more damage to their frontal white matter, the part of the brain where CTE takes hold. That wasn’t the case for those that played speed positions and had a history of concussions, suggesting that the way that non-speed players become concussed is different and more dangerous.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT