ADVERTISEMENT

Carolina Vs Syracuse game thread——Tuesday 24 Jan 2023

IDUNK4HEELS

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 25, 2004
kernersville nc
The game is scheduled to be on ESPN starting at nine pm from the Carrier Dome. Jesse Edwards at 6’11 is averaging close to 14 points and 11 rebounds a contest and like Bacot he is racking up a ton of double doubles so whoever wins the battle in the paint will go a long way in determining what team will prevail. Syracuse as a whole is not a very good rebounding team where Carolina excels…

Syracuse goes as senior shooting guard Joe Girard goes so I expect Black and Love to do their best to hold him down to a minimum.

Judah Mentz has now taken the point guard job from Girard allowing the later to concentrate more on scoring and Maliq Brown now is also contributing offensively.

Syracuse really has no one that can check Nance size wise so the Northwestern transfer could be and should be a major key in the Carolina attack against the Syracuse zone defense. The hole in the defense is right below the free throw line and that should allow him to have a bunch of close in jumpers…

I saw a stat today that indicates opposing teams have averaged about shooting 28 three pointers a contest against the Syracuse zone but I for one hope Carolina does not fall into that trap even if they hit a couple early. I personally would prefer a high low offense with a bunch of easy back door baskets.

It will not be as easy to drive against a zone like Davis and Love did against NC States matador man to man defense…

Love and Davis and maybe even Black and Puff need to hit a couple from downtown to open up the zone but if Carolina decides to shoot the average of 28 threes it will be a long night for the Tar Heels…

Reactions: gthreadgill7929
I hope Washington gets a chance to show what he can do at the foul line in the zone. Might be our best option against the zone if he gets the chance.

I’ve never understood the concept of playing zone 24/7. Yes, the Cuse coach has won over 1000 games. How many more he would have won if he changed defenses from time to time. It just baffles me ghat he doesn’t change it up.

I’ve never understood the concept of playing zone 24/7. Yes, the Cuse coach has won over 1000 games. How many more he would have won if he changed defenses from time to time. It just baffles me ghat he doesn’t change it up.
Cuse is notorious for starting the season with cupcake city, in the first 12 games of every season for 30 years, that adds up quick!

Good game so far from just about everyone. Biggest mishap was Dunn giving up two open threes to Girard.

Nance is open at the foul line. Shoot the ball young man. Stop trying to penetrate a zone. You are open for good shot

Reactions: trimbornunc86
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT