ADVERTISEMENT

Celtics vs. Cavs

DAPNVBjXsAAPzme.jpg

Reactions: tw3301
I don't know how much this "One-and-Done" craze may be a factor, but something is really diluting talent in the NBA. The playoffs so far have been less than sterling, and last night's Cavs/Celtics "game" was a farce. Totally uncompetitive (and the Celtics were a number 1 seed). Ugh!

I'm not sure what the answer is but The NBA really needs to address the disparity in its league. Every year it seems there are only 2, 3 teams expected to win it all, and barring major injuries, one of those will. Makes for boring, predictable playoffs. Say what you will about the NFL, but most teams (outside of the Browns, LOL) enter each season with some hope of making the playoffs. And the 5th or 6th seeds have proven they can get on a roll and win the Super Bowl, which keeps fans engaged.

@TVJ - you make a good point about the OAD's. If the NBA would adopt the NCAA baseball rule (or something similar), then it stands to reason that there should be more mature, better prepared players coming out of college. For the few truly transformational players that come along once every 5-10 years (Lebron, Kobe), let them go pro right out of high school. Or just let anybody enter the draft right out of HS if you want, but if you enroll in college, then make it 2-3 years before you can enter the draft. Better overall players make for better, (and hopefully) more balanced teams. For the casual NBA observer like myself, I would watch more playoff series if it weren't so lopsided. As it stands now, I've not watched any playoffs. I Might tune in for some of the finals but at this point, I don't really care.

One last thing that I heard recently... Larry Bird turned 23 during his rookie season. Can you imagine that happening today?

Reactions: Archer2
I'm not sure what the answer is but The NBA really needs to address the disparity in its league. Every year it seems there are only 2, 3 teams expected to win it all, and barring major injuries, one of those will. Makes for boring, predictable playoffs. Say what you will about the NFL, but most teams (outside of the Browns, LOL) enter each season with some hope of making the playoffs. And the 5th or 6th seeds have proven they can get on a roll and win the Super Bowl, which keeps fans engaged.

@TVJ - you make a good point about the OAD's. If the NBA would adopt the NCAA baseball rule (or something similar), then it stands to reason that there should be more mature, better prepared players coming out of college. For the few truly transformational players that come along once every 5-10 years (Lebron, Kobe), let them go pro right out of high school. Or just let anybody enter the draft right out of HS if you want, but if you enroll in college, then make it 2-3 years before you can enter the draft. Better overall players make for better, (and hopefully) more balanced teams. For the casual NBA observer like myself, I would watch more playoff series if it weren't so lopsided. As it stands now, I've not watched any playoffs. I Might tune in for some of the finals but at this point, I don't really care.

One last thing that I heard recently... Larry Bird turned 23 during his rookie season. Can you imagine that happening today?

Mark, I do not like the baseball rule but no matter, if that is what we had, it would not solve the problem of less than prepared guys entering the league. The majority of those that are one & done now would skip college all together, would not be in college at all if they did not have to. But even those kids that most know are no where ready for the NBA would be more likely to realize that 3yrs ban from the NBA draft if they spend 1 season in college ball is to much to risk so you get the Tony Bradley level kid skipping college to.

I am all about a no rule deal, like we had for the vast majority of the NBA history, how things were that allowed the NBA to grow and prosper. The NBA never had to draft a kid straight out of high school or after a year of college ball but they did and because they made bad decisions they invented a rule to control their own inability to wait until a kid had shown he could play and help a NBA team before drafting him. The word potential has gotten in the way of NBA teams making good decisions.

Good point Dave.... the NBA guys just can't help themselves and you're right when you say they draft on "potential". Maybe having no rule at all helps; who knows? All I know is that I used to watch NBA in the 80's and 90's but no longer care to even watch the playoffs or the finals.

Reactions: Archer2
I love hoops but as I switch back and forth between the NBA and the NHL playoffs I find myself watching more of the NHL. These hockey guys flat out get after it and these playoffs have been super exciting. We have an 8 seed who has peaked at the right time who is tied at 2-2. The NBA game has become boring and predictable and really not worth the time to watch. I think that some of it certainly has to do with the OAD rule but a lot of it has to do with the NBA and their tinkering of the rules etc. Anytime you can have big men brawl under the basket and no foul is called and then you get a bump out front and a foul is called, something is wrong. Don't even get me started on the James Harden throwing up 3's crap that has taken over this year!

Reactions: venom660turbo
I don't know how much this "One-and-Done" craze may be a factor, but something is really diluting talent in the NBA. The playoffs so far have been less than sterling, and last night's Cavs/Celtics "game" was a farce. Totally uncompetitive (and the Celtics were a number 1 seed). Ugh!

OAD IMHO does play a factor because there is "ZERO" OAD players lately that have come into the league and be a difference maker (I do want to see what Ben Simmons has however). Lebron James is really good, and I can name 4 other eastern conference teams you put him on and they win the east.

The NBA has always been dominated by there star lead teams, but the smack downs Lebron is putting on teams in playoffs this year is simply because there is nobody new that has come in the draft to challenge him. Paul George is a really good player, but lets be honest he hasn't won ANYTHING! EVER! he is only a good individual player. John Wall is showing some signs because if you really watch his game he has explosive speed, but it is taking him time to learn how to win games with that speed (Think he has been in the league 5 or 6 years now). Boston has the first pick and they are thinking about taking a PG, when there best player is a PG, and they were the top seed in east (How do you expect to get better when your thinking about moving around your best player who only can play one position for a cat that won 9 games in the PAC 10)

Big men use to be ones people say transition to the NBA quicker, but what you are seeing is big guys are not developing there bodies to play down low, so now they are becoming mediocre jump shooters, and flaming out the league really quick.

As long as there are no good centers (look at the all-NBA team besides Anthony Davis the centers are not that impressive) Lebron is going to dominate for years because there still will be nobody to stop him from going to the rim every play (bucket or foul every time).

I am going to look at all the OAD that were drafted in 1st round over the last 5 years some time tonight or tomorrow. Something tells me there will be a lot of guys that are unimpressive so far.

As I mentioned before the NBA has got to rely on D League more. Look at the guy Simmons from San Antonio Spurs, might have taken him years, but that guy in the right situation is a difference maker.

I have that Tom and Jerry gif in my chop ideas pile. I don't believe I ever used it. I guess that 51 point beat down of the wolps would have been a good time. Oh well, I'll use it for something sometime.

Have to admit I haven't been watching the playoffs. I'll probably watch the finals.

Before the season started 95% of people would have projected Cavs/Warriors part 3. That's what is wrong with the NBA right there, players don't want to prove they are better then somebody they would rather go play with them so instead of 10-15 good teams, you get 2 great tesms. I understand the Cavs were the 2 seed and lost 30 games in the regular season but they didn't care at all about those 82 games.... All they were trying to do was stay healthy and qualify(which now a days means being a .500 team)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT