ADVERTISEMENT

Chapel Hill Visitors Guide for Sporting Events

Raising Heel

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2008
A van down by the river
We get questions every year about where to stay, where to eat, etc. when coming to a sporting event in Chapel Hill. These questions come from opposing teams' fans and Tar Heel fans alike. Let's create a pinned thread to be a resource. Please poast your ideas in this thread and I'll add them to the OP.

An excellent source of information is CarolinaGameday.com, which is maintained by UNC Athletics. Much of the following comes from there.

-------------------------

General Information

Franklin Street, located along the northern edge of the UNC campus, is the center of the Chapel Hill community. Here you'll find several restaurants, bars, coffee shops, etc. Franklin Street is within walking distance to both Kenan Memorial Stadium (football) and the Dean E. Smith Center (basketball). From Franklin Street, it takes about 15 minutes to walk to the football stadium and about 25 minutes to walk to the basketball arena.

If you follow Franklin Street about a mile west from campus, you'll enter the town of Carrboro. Carrboro offers a number of additional restaurants and attractions.

Places to Park

Football Parking
UNC's Official Football Parking website

Near the football stadium

The best public parking is available in Cardinal Parking Deck or Jackson Parking Deck. Both decks generally have good availability if you arrive at least an hour before kickoff. You'll need to arrive much earlier if it's a marquee game. There is surface parking available at Manning Lot, which is a little longer walk than either of the parking decks. All options above are $10, cash only.

If you want to guarantee a spot, pre-paid parking (registration required) is available at Hibbard Lot or South Chiller Lot, which are only slightly farther away from the stadium than the Cardinal or Jackson Decks. Both pre-paid lots are $10.

Near Franklin Street

There is limited public parking in town on game days. See this map for options. You can also pre-pay for parking (registration required) to park at a the ITS Lot on Rosemary Street, which is only a 5-minute walk to the heart of Franklin Street.

In addition, various homes and businesses in the area offer game-day parking and tailgating spaces. We will add links here as people provide the locations of these spots:

1) Near the intersection of North Columbia Street and Rosemary Street (details)
2) ....

Other parking options

On game days, the town of Chapel Hill operates Tar Heel Express, a shuttle service that usually starts 3 hours before the game and continues until 45 minutes after the game. $5 round trip or $3 one way. Parking at shuttle lots is free.

Basketball Parking
UNC's Official Basketball Parking website

Near the basketball arena

The best public parking is available in Cardinal Parking Deck, Jackson Parking Deck, or Boshamer Lots. All of these options are $10, cash only. You can also park a little farther away in the Bell Tower Deck for $5, cash only.

Near Franklin Street

See above football parking information.

Other parking options

On game days, the town of Chapel Hill operates Tar Heel Express, a shuttle service that usually starts 1.5 hours before the game and continues until 45 minutes after the game. $5 round trip or $3 one way. Parking at shuttle lots is free.

Places to Eat and Drink

Near Franklin Street
  • Al's Burger Shack - Burgers, dogs, and shakes from the best local ingredients
  • Breadman's - All-day breakfast spot
  • Carolina Brewery - Craft brewery with classic pub food (see the note about their game day shuttle below)
  • Carolina Coffee Shop - Coffee, breakfast, lunch, dinner, and drinks
  • Four Corners - Longtime UNC sports bar, named for Dean Smith's iconic offense
  • He's Not Here - Home of the Blue Cup; famous, unpretentious bar (no food) with a relaxed outdoor area
  • Linda's Bar & Grill - Low-key pub, a long-standing Chapel Hill hangout
  • Mama Dip's Kitchen - Down home Southern cooking
  • Sup Dogs - Creative specialty hot dogs and hand-smashed burgers
  • Sutton's Drugstore - Vintage lunch-counter restaurant where basketball and football players often eat
  • Top of the Hill (sometimes referred to as "TOPO") - Southern-inspired American fare with a brewery; patio seating available
Other Local Restaurants

Places to Stay

Near Franklin Street
  • AC Hotel (Marriott) - Contemporary hotel 1.5 blocks from the center of town
  • Carolina Inn - Historic upscale hotel centrally located to campus
  • The Franklin Hotel (Hilton) - Stylish hotel located on West Franklin Street
Other Local Hotels

Places to See

Last edited:
Sup Dogs has become a favorite place for me to eat bar food in Chapel Hill when on the campus section of Franklin. I also love Al's Burger Shack, although seating is tight.

The Baxter is right behind Al's and is an old school arcade with almost all of the great games from the 80s. Full bar and you have to be 21 to get in.

Don't stay at Chapel Hill Inn Town unless you like old smelly creepy places.

I would say Suttons is the place to go if you want to see where the students including scholarship athletes go to eat. Get the lemonade.

No beer at Suttons though.

Reactions: Raising Heel
This is going to need a detailed beer tasting guide. I guess I'll take one for the team.

Carolina Brewery offers a free game day shuttle to and from the brewery for customers (have a beer or a meal before getting on the shuttle). They also have a small parking lot in back.

Where does it drop them off? That's a pretty sweet deal, although their parking lot is tiny.
In the lineup with the other shuttles and buses. I haven't used it for football so I don't know exactly where that is, but for basketball it's on Skipper Bowles Drive right outside the Dome.

* You can take a to-go beer on the shuttle. *

There is limited public parking in town on game days. See this map for options. You can also pre-pay for parking (registration required) to park at a the ITS Lot on Rosemary Street, which is only a 5-minute walk to the heart of Franklin Street. In addition, various homes and businesses in the area offer game-day parking and tailgating spaces. Anybody know of some long-standing locations that do this? Locations we could link with a map?
Yes, I know of a place that always does this and it's very popular and very festive (tents, corn hole, music, grills). Also the man who owns the building keeps it unlocked in the back so you can use the restroom. Last time I parked there it was $20. It's a good option if you don't care about parking on campus and instead want to be near Franklin Street. Added bonus is when you walk to the stadium from this area, you go through Polk Place, the prettiest part of campus.

One major con: the dude who runs the lot is very, very assertive about making sure you park as close to the vehicle beside you as possible so he can maximize his revenue. He about threw me out of the lot once for arguing with him. But once you're parked, and once people are parked on either side of you, you don't have to deal with him anymore and the rest of the experience is very pleasant.

I will get a map up closer to football season with this spot marked on it.

Just found out R&R Grill closed (sorry @grillheel). Removed them from the list. Finally got to eat at Al's Burger Shack last month and it gets a big thumbs up from me. Granted, I had had a few adult beverages, but that was a damn fine burger.

It's closer to football season, where's that map? o_O

Reactions: grillheel
Just found out R&R Grill closed (sorry @grillheel). Removed them from the list. Finally got to eat at Al's Burger Shack last month and it gets a big thumbs up from me. Granted, I had had a few adult beverages, but that was a damn fine burger.

It's closer to football season, where's that map? o_O
For once, I won't blame the Chapel Hill Downtown commission for this one. I wanted to like R&R. Even had my graduation lunch there with family. But every time I ate there, it was just meh.

Yes, I know of a place that always does this and it's very popular and very festive (tents, corn hole, music, grills). Also the man who owns the building keeps it unlocked in the back so you can use the restroom. Last time I parked there it was $20. It's a good option if you don't care about parking on campus and instead want to be near Franklin Street. Added bonus is when you walk to the stadium from this area, you go through Polk Place, the prettiest part of campus.

One major con: the dude who runs the lot is very, very assertive about making sure you park as close to the vehicle beside you as possible so he can maximize his revenue. He about threw me out of the lot once for arguing with him. But once you're parked, and once people are parked on either side of you, you don't have to deal with him anymore and the rest of the experience is very pleasant.

Here is the map to go along with my description:

MdKWpEd.jpg

Please click to enlarge the map. To orient you:

- Franklin Street (running roughly East to West toward the top left corner of the map is the Northern boundary of campus.
- MLK Jr Drive (name not pictured) turns into N. Columbia Street (toward top left corner of map). This is the Western border of campus.
- the football stadium, Kenan Memorial Stadium is smack dab in the middle of campus. I labeled it at the bottom of the map, as I couldn't get everything into one screenshot and still show the parking place.
- Rosemary Street (which I've crudely labeled in MS Paint) is the cross street you are looking for. It runs parallel with Franklin and has many bars/restaurants on it, just like Franklin.
- The red box is where the lot I'm discussing is located. Travel South along MLK Jr Blvd aka N.C. Hwy 86 (Exit 266 off of I-40). MLK Jr will turn into N. Columbia when you get close to campus, as discussed above. Just before you reach the intersection of N. Columbia and Rosemary Street, on your right-hand side will be a flat, surface lot with what looks like a house on it. Unless you arrive mega, mega early on gameday, you won't miss this lot. Many folks will already have tents set up.
- It's not exactly the corner of Columbia and Rosemary. There's a lot there too, but it's boring and not as lively. It's just a hair back, not quite to where you get to the intersection. Like I said, you won't miss it.

Once you park, if tailgating isn't your thing, take the short walk (<2 mins) down Columbia to get to Franklin Street, then go left or right onto Franklin and you'll come to many bars and restaurants on both sides of Franklin. I recommend going left (West), but you can't go wrong either way. Rosemary also has bars, as I stated above.

Important: The walk to the stadium (15-20 minutes):
When you're ready to walk to the stadium, please first note that it will take about 20 minutes, depending on how fleet of foot you are. Don't fret though because, 1) you can take a road beer with you as long as you're 21. Cops won't mess with you on campus on game day unless you look under 21. 2). the walk to the stadium is all slightly downhill once you get past Franklin.

To get the best, most scenic walk to the stadium, walk West on Franklin and get to "McCorckle Place" on the map. Walk through McCorckle Place (the oldest part of campus), then continue walking South, through "Polk Place" (also on map). These are the two main quads on campus and it will also take you directly past the Old Well, which is the official "landmark icon" of campus. I strongly recommend travelling this route on your way to the stadium as it will give you the best feel for the look and aesthetics of Carolina's campus.

Last edited:
Here is the map to go along with my description:

MdKWpEd.jpg

Please click to enlarge the map. To orient you:

- Franklin Street (running roughly East to West toward the top left corner of the map is the Northern boundary of campus.
- MLK Jr Drive (name not pictured) turns into N. Columbia Street (toward top left corner of map). This is the Western border of campus.
- the football stadium, Kenan Memorial Stadium is smack dab in the middle of campus. I labeled it at the bottom of the map, as I couldn't get everything into one screenshot and still show the parking place.
- Rosemary Street (which I've crudely labeled in MS Paint) is the cross street you are looking for. It runs parallel with Franklin and has many bars/restaurants on it, just like Franklin.
- The red box is where the lot I'm discussing is located. Travel South along MLK Jr Blvd aka N.C. Hwy 86 (Exit 266 off of I-40). MLK Jr will turn into N. Columbia when you get close to campus, as discussed above. Just before you reach the intersection of N. Columbia and Rosemary Street, on your right-hand side will be a flat, surface lot with what looks like a house on it. Unless you arrive mega, mega early on gameday, you won't miss this lot. Many folks will already have tents set up.
- It's not exactly the corner of Columbia and Rosemary. There's a lot there too, but it's boring and not as lively. It's just a hair back, not quite to where you get to the intersection. Like I said, you won't miss it.

Once you park, if tailgating isn't your thing, take the short walk (<2 mins) down Columbia to get to Franklin Street, then go left or right onto Franklin and you'll come to many bars and restaurants on both sides of Franklin. I recommend going left (West), but you can't go wrong either way. Rosemary also has bars, as I stated above.

Important: The walk to the stadium (15-20 minutes):
When you're ready to walk to the stadium, please first note that it will take about 20 minutes, depending on how fleet of foot you are. Don't fret though because, 1) you can take a road beer with you as long as you're 21. Cops won't mess with you on campus on game day unless you look under 21. 2). the walk to the stadium is all slightly downhill once you get past Franklin.

To get the best, most scenic walk to the stadium, walk West on Franklin and get to "McCorckle Place" on the map. Walk through McCorckle Place (the oldest part of campus), then continue walking South, through "Polk Place" (also on map). These are the two main quads on campus and it will also take you directly past the Old Well, which is the official "landmark icon" of campus. I strongly recommend travelling this route on your way to the stadium as it will give you the best feel for the look and aesthetics of Carolina's campus.
Nicely done. Now fix the spelling of McCorkle Place. ;)

Thanks for this. Our group of UCF fans will be there for the 9/15 game. We’re looking forward to seeing your campus and enjoying Franklin Street. Will the bars open early with the noon kickoff?

Hello all!!! UCF fan here, looking forward to our game in a few weeks. What would be considered the away fans lot? Is it Skipper Bowles? Is it a prepaid lot or a cash lot? Thanks in advance for the help!

Last edited:
Hello all!!! UCF fan here, looking forward to our game in a few weeks. What would be considered the away fans lot? Is it Skipper Bowles? Is it a prepaid lot or a cash lot? Thanks in advance for the help!

The Cardinal lot is probably your best bet if you don’t mind walking about a half mile. It’s pay at the entrance and they allow parking until it’s full. I want to say it’s 10$.

Thanks for this. Our group of UCF fans will be there for the 9/15 game. We’re looking forward to seeing your campus and enjoying Franklin Street. Will the bars open early with the noon kickoff?
Welp. Game has been cancelled because of Hurricane Florence. Good question, though. I'm not sure if any bars open earlier than their usual time on football Saturdays. You'd probably need to call them directly to confirm. Carolina Brewery opens at 10:30 but that's a small window to make a noon kickoff.

The Cardinal lot is probably your best bet if you don’t mind walking about a half mile. It’s pay at the entrance and they allow parking until it’s full. I want to say it’s 10$.
That's correct. It's $10, cash only as noted above. To add to this....

There are no designated "away fans" lots. There are lots that are reserved for Rams Club members like the Bowles Lot and Craige Parking Deck. As a visitor, you need to either find a public lot like the ones named in the original post or use the "park-and-ride" Tar Heel Express service.

We get questions every year about where to stay, where to eat, etc. when coming to a sporting event in Chapel Hill. These questions come from opposing teams' fans and Tar Heel fans alike. Let's create a pinned thread to be a resource. Please poast your ideas in this thread and I'll add them to the OP.

An excellent source of information is CarolinaGameday.com, which is maintained by UNC Athletics. Much of the following comes from there.

-------------------------

General Information

Franklin Street, located along the northern edge of the UNC campus, is the center of the Chapel Hill community. Here you'll find several restaurants, bars, coffee shops, etc. Franklin Street is within walking distance to both Kenan Memorial Stadium (football) and the Dean E. Smith Center (basketball). From Franklin Street, it takes about 15 minutes to walk to the football stadium and about 25 minutes to walk to the basketball arena.

If you follow Franklin Street about a mile west from campus, you'll enter the town of Carrboro. Carrboro offers a number of additional restaurants and attractions.

Places to Park

Football Parking
UNC's Official Football Parking website

Near the football stadium

The best public parking is available in Cardinal Parking Deck or Jackson Parking Deck. Both decks generally have good availability if you arrive at least an hour before kickoff. You'll need to arrive much earlier if it's a marquee game. There is surface parking available at Manning Lot, which is a little longer walk than either of the parking decks. All options above are $10, cash only.

If you want to guarantee a spot, pre-paid parking (registration required) is available at Hibbard Lot or South Chiller Lot, which are only slightly farther away from the stadium than the Cardinal or Jackson Decks. Both pre-paid lots are $10.

Near Franklin Street

There is limited public parking in town on game days. See this map for options. You can also pre-pay for parking (registration required) to park at a the ITS Lot on Rosemary Street, which is only a 5-minute walk to the heart of Franklin Street.

In addition, various homes and businesses in the area offer game-day parking and tailgating spaces. We will add links here as people provide the locations of these spots:

1) Near the intersection of North Columbia Street and Rosemary Street (details)
2) ....

Other parking options

On game days, the town of Chapel Hill operates Tar Heel Express, a shuttle service that usually starts 3 hours before the game and continues until 45 minutes after the game. $5 round trip or $3 one way. Parking at shuttle lots is free.

Basketball Parking
UNC's Official Basketball Parking website

Near the basketball arena

The best public parking is available in Cardinal Parking Deck, Jackson Parking Deck, or Boshamer Lots. All of these options are $10, cash only. You can also park a little farther away in the Bell Tower Deck for $5, cash only.

Near Franklin Street

See above football parking information.

Other parking options

On game days, the town of Chapel Hill operates Tar Heel Express, a shuttle service that usually starts 1.5 hours before the game and continues until 45 minutes after the game. $5 round trip or $3 one way. Parking at shuttle lots is free.

Places to Eat and Drink

Near Franklin Street
  • Al's Burger Shack - Burgers, dogs, and shakes from the best local ingredients
  • Breadman's - All-day breakfast spot
  • Carolina Brewery - Craft brewery with classic pub food (see the note about their game day shuttle below)
  • Carolina Coffee Shop - Coffee, breakfast, lunch, dinner, and drinks
  • Four Corners - Longtime UNC sports bar, named for Dean Smith's iconic offense
  • He's Not Here - Home of the Blue Cup; famous, unpretentious bar (no food) with a relaxed outdoor area
  • Linda's Bar & Grill - Low-key pub, a long-standing Chapel Hill hangout
  • Mama Dip's Kitchen - Down home Southern cooking
  • Sup Dogs - Creative specialty hot dogs and hand-smashed burgers
  • Sutton's Drugstore - Vintage lunch-counter restaurant where basketball and football players often eat
  • Top of the Hill (sometimes referred to as "TOPO") - Southern-inspired American fare with a brewery; patio seating available
Other Local Restaurants

Places to Stay

Near Franklin Street
  • AC Hotel (Marriott) - Contemporary hotel 1.5 blocks from the center of town
  • Carolina Inn - Historic upscale hotel centrally located to campus
  • The Franklin Hotel (Hilton) - Stylish hotel located on West Franklin Street
Other Local Hotels

Places to See
I believe the University Inn closed...

ADVERTISEMENT