ADVERTISEMENT

CJ Frederick—SG Iowa portal

Kid can play..Kentucky HS POY..Iowa blew up and he left 46% from 3....6’3’’ 200 started all year. Likes to get up and down the court. What do you guys think?
With the guards we currently have and the one we have coming doesn't leave any room for another guard. We need a big to spell Armando and a potential stretch 4 to add to this group (ie.) Bryson Spell perhaps? ). Also have to consider next years recruiting as well as we have offers out to several guard types and I suspect more to come.

Fredrick is reporting that we have reached out to him. Guess Hubert is determined to find guys that can shoot. He's a career 47% 3 point shot making guard. Don't know where he would fit, but..., if Hubert wants another guard, then he most likely will get another one. Like many on this board say..., you just can't have too many shot makers huh?

Fredrick is reporting that we have reached out to him. Guess Hubert is determined to find guys that can shoot. He's a career 47% 3 point shot making guard. Don't know where he would fit, but..., if Hubert wants another guard, then he most likely will get another one. Like many on this board say..., you just can't have too many shot makers huh?
Really?
So we bring in another guard/wing to go along with the 8 we already have, who else will transfer out?
Is that a-hole from derm running the program now. <roll eyes>

Really?
So we bring in another guard/wing to go along with the 8 we already have, who else will transfer out?
Is that a-hole from derm running the program now. <roll eyes>
I never like when someone from our program leaves unless it’s someone like Larry Drew, but if Ant Harris ended up leaving and we got CJ, you wouldn’t take that trade off?? And before anyone gets upset I’d want a current player to leave, I don’t. But I’d take the better, more talented player who would help our team much more.

Reactions: TheGLOV

Reaching out does not equal an offer...

Reactions: TheGLOV
Fredrick only averaged seven points while playing twenty-seven minutes per game. I adore Anthony Harris and wouldn't trade him for Fredrick or any other college player

Adore was a little strong (or creepy), but I agree with the post in general. I want to keep our guys & not run anyone off that chose to be a Tar Heel. That kind of thing goes on a little ways down 15-501.

I am not sure I understand why so many seem to feel we drastically must have another back court guy? WE are loaded with a LOT of back court talent and most of it has 3-4yrs of eligibility remaining. Ok, so let me say it before anyone else feels the need to, "but we shot so poorly last season"! And yes of course that is a true statement, we sucked shooting the ball last season and most especially with out guards, only Walton was a money jump shooter.

But lets look at why we shot so poorly because if my belief that we have very good shooters but they shot poorly for reasons, if those reasons are corrected then good shooter can turn from shot takers to shot makers, true?

So why, at least in my opinion did we shoot so poorly?

1) Bad shot selection by highly ranked freshmen. Imagine that, a 4 or 5 star incoming freshman that takes bad shots, that goes to hero ball to quick, who would have ever thunk such a thing? LOL At very least they had the confidence to take a big shot even if it was a bad decision at the time to do so. Most freshmen do struggle with shot selection.

2) In the half court offense our floor spacing was horrible and at times worse than that. It was, you saw it but why was it so bad? Well we had a wing that was/is a poor jump shooter that has very little if any confidence in his shooting. Defenses game planned against us, to deny Walton any clean look and to allow Leaky all the clean looks he wanted. So defense could lag off of Leaky and help for example a guard trying to drive in to the paint. That is a painted area already full of bodies due to our having 2 bigs down there as well as their 2 defenders, there was not place for them to drive thru all that clog and yet they pushed it so deep they could not find a outlet pass to anyone that may have been open to often. So not able to drive, clog so bad that even an inlet pass was challenged, the result was a lot of highly contested jump shots, many times late in the clock. Unless your last name is Curry you just are not going to make a decent % of well guarded shots, they harder the shot the lower the make % is going to be, basic.

3) we didn't run a lot of high pick action geared to rub off a defender as well as have an additional defender up more in the lane. We got high picked to death on the defensive end and didn't give it back to them on our offensive end. When our guards were able to drive in to the lane their first thought was to finish, their second thought was to finish, and their third was same as the other 2. Yet our opponents drove the lane on us, many times off the high pick and their first thought was to drive, draw, and kick back out to spot up shooters as soon as we dropped for help. As much as we struggled to defend that high pick I could not understand why we didn't incorporate much more of that, if it was hard for us to defend it does it not suggest it would be hard for our opponents to defend it coming from us? That old thing about pressing teams hating to be pressed applies to more than just the press.

4) Bigs that stayed in the paint? We had very little threat when our big men stepped outside the paint and combine that with a weak shooting wing3 and you have a predicament, basically allowing our opponents to defend 3 on 5, a respected shooter is not going to get many looks having to be 1 of 3 being guarded by 5 other guys. Our emphasis was on rebounding and to Roy the best way to win the rebounding battles is for 2 big men to be in the paint and I do agree with that to an extent. But having 2 bigs on the floor does not mean you have to leave them in the paint, you can pull one of them up top and crash him back in on the shot if need be, in more of a high low look. Mancek is a 4 that could offer an interesting challenge. Imagine Mancek stepping outside, as a known shooter he is going to pull the defending 4 out with him, pull Bacot up to the foul line to set the high pick for a Caleb Love drive, that forces the defense to bring help from a wing with one big man occupied by Mancek and one by Bacots high screen, help from the wing opens up either our 2 guard or wing 3 for a very clean look, Merry Christmas Caleb, Puff, and Walton (the 2/3 combo I like more as jump shooters) but I am sure RJ and McKoy would enjoy it as well! And how does the defense counter that, well they kinda have to pull the 4 back to the paint that would have been checking Mancek, so you then have Mancek looking at a open look or making the extra pass over if the defense runs out and gets to close to him but with his quick release, good luck with that, LOL.

1) Bad shot selection by highly ranked freshmen. Imagine that, a 4 or 5 star incoming freshman that takes bad shots, that goes to hero ball to quick, who would have ever thunk such a thing? LOL At very least they had the confidence to take a big shot even if it was a bad decision at the time to do so. Most freshmen do struggle with shot selection.
Caleb Love thought he was the 2nd coming of Cole Anthony. And even Cole Anthony wasn't the 2nd coming of Cole Anthony.

The good news is that Caleb seemed to be turning the corner last season. Not a flipping the switch kind of improvement, but he definitely seemed to be getting it.

RJ actually seemed a little ahead of Caleb out of the gate, but then hit the freshman wall harder. But he, too, seemed to be moving past that.

I expect both of those guys to be noticeably better this coming season.

I think Hubert is trying to get versatility. Add Frederick. You have Dunn, Walton and Ant that can play sg and sf. Styles and McKoy who can play sf and pf. It is not like Styles and Dunn are one and done guys. Our fans cry for shooters, now Hubert is going after one, and we are complaining

I would love to have another shooter on the team. I am sick to death of the athletic stud...that cant shoot. Scores at will in high school against scrubs, but against like for like athleticism cant score.

Reactions: gd15nc
It was 10 something.
In the most recent season, he averaged 7.5 points per game and averaged 24.7 minutes. He shot 67% from the foul line, and averaged 1.1 rebounds and 1.9 assists. I could post bigger numbers while eating a roast beef sandwich and reading the Wall Street Journal

In the most recent season, he averaged 7.5 points per game and averaged 24.7 minutes. He shot 67% from the foul line, and averaged 1.1 rebounds and 1.9 assists. I could post bigger numbers while eating a roast beef sandwich and reading the Wall Street Journal
I’m sure Ant Harris can also. My bad the 10 ppg was from 2 years ago but he also had Garza taking a ton of shots. He would def improve the outside shooting tho and would make a solid 4th guy for the guard spots. No one knows what to expect from Johnson, and Harris and Leaky haven’t proved to be scorers.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT