ADVERTISEMENT

Coach K to Retire!

1141290.jpg

scheyer9_feature.jpg

th
scheyer_marshall_bill.jpg

https://www.jibjab.com/view/make/ro..._Exact_Desktop&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=bing

Last edited:
This year's Due team should be very good. Maybe not championship good, but very good.

Can K get extra out of his squad, knowing it's his last season? Probably. But will it be enough to go all the way?

I don't blame K or Duke fans for wanting K to go out on a high note. I wanted that for Roy.

The only thing Sheyer is groomed for is speaking to the media at half time a job delicated to him by the rat cause he was too busy dying his hair anytime the whistle blew.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
I'm not surprised he waited this long and I'm not surprised he's retiring now. I always thought he would always wait until after Roy retired to make sure Roy never passed him for anything significant.
I don't know if that had as much to do with it as many of the same reasons Roy hung it up. Neither have had the success they had been accustomed to the last couple of years. And with the way the college landscape is changing I don't think either wanted to deal with the constant transfer issues, or the NIL.

Reactions: Heelicious
dook has ZERO 2022 commits.
They have zero offers!

Actually, this is good for Scheyer. Imagine K had signed a bunch of 5-star guys and then waited to announce he was leaving until next April. How many wouldn't jump ship? How many decent recruits would be left?

This way the recruiting will doubtless suffer, but at least Scheyer has all year to get the best team he can.

Scheyer is said to be a good recruiter, but he's always been recruiting for K, not for himself. Which is similar to the situation Hubert is in.

Hubert and Scheyer won't be coaching against each other until next year, but they are already recruiting head-to-head. Or will be if/when Scheyer is officially announced.

you'll need a crowbar to get Vitale off his fly. The worst part will be hearing the hypocrite tell us that what really motivated him was the character-building he accomplished in the young guys, etc. And how not many knew that Dean was his best friend (what about his friendship with Jimmy V., formed out of Dean-hate), and the moments he shared with Roy off the court while they competed on it, more malarkey than you can possibly think of. I hate to say it but I think I'm almost happier that ratface is retiring than I was sad that Roy did.

I have a suggestion for you:

Only watch 2 or maybe 3 Duke games.

And don’t watch ESPN. It’s the same fandom playbook as every other year.
To be honest, I don't have ESPN and haven't watched a Duke game in many, many years. But when I watch ANY. OTHER. GAME. I get loads of Duke crap, and this year is going to be way worse. I envision watching something random, like a Washington vs. UCLA game, and hearing more about Duke than either of the teams playing. At the very least, I guarantee every game I watch will have K or Duke mentioned at least once in both the first and second half, as well as a segment on them at halftime.

Jesus, it’s begun already.
I imagine the ESPN CBB staff having a red light blaring in the offices and someone yelling, "This is what we've been preparing for people, this is not a drill! GO! GO! GO!," and all their 'talent' opening sealed envelopes with personal retrospectives, puff pieces, and old photos of K to run on the air.

I imagine by the end of this year I'll know more about Army's old teams than the current Gonzaga team.

I tried to listen to some of the press conference but having everyone in a barrel makes it tough to understand. They should have put more effort into having that echo a little louder.

• Haha
Reactions: Heelicious
real sports journalists would do extensive reviews of k's shameful episodes -- silencing the student newspaper because he didn't like their comments, endorsing the violent assault on tyler h., dumping losses on an assistant coach to boost his own record, enabling poor sportsmanship by many of his players especially laettner.... the list goes on and on.

Total horseshit. As already mentioned, his players are one and dones anyway so why does it matter to them?

The rat's ego has to be fed. Just as expected, he can't go out gracefully like Dean, Roy, and Gut.
That is going to be a real problem for the plastic faced one, the current crop of 1&d guys leave with K, it will be up to Sheyer to replace them and that is not going to be the same as when K was there. How involved will K be in recruiting moving forward, their future coach will more likely be much more involved than K will be and that I think may weaken their ability to reload with the levels of talent they have been able to for the last several years.

A lot of folks seem to believe that Sheyer was named just to give Brad Stevens some time to see if maybe he would consider coming to duke when they are ready to boot the plastic face out of town. I don't see that actually happening, why in the world would Stevens go back to the college game knowing that NLI, the transfer portal, and the early enters to the G or the new league that also pays, are transforming the college game in to what no one knows? College basketball is not the same as it was when he was coaching in college nor does it look like it will ever be. It was hard enough to be a college coach as opposed to what he has enjoyed as the Celtics coach and now replacing Danny Ainge, he would be crazy to leave the NBA at this point.

That is going to be a real problem for the plastic faced one, the current crop of 1&d guys leave with K, it will be up to Sheyer to replace them and that is not going to be the same as when K was there. How involved will K be in recruiting moving forward, their future coach will more likely be much more involved than K will be and that I think may weaken their ability to reload with the levels of talent they have been able to for the last several years.

A lot of folks seem to believe that Sheyer was named just to give Brad Stevens some time to see if maybe he would consider coming to duke when they are ready to boot the plastic face out of town. I don't see that actually happening, why in the world would Stevens go back to the college game knowing that NLI, the transfer portal, and the early enters to the G or the new league that also pays, are transforming the college game in to what no one knows? College basketball is not the same as it was when he was coaching in college nor does it look like it will ever be. It was hard enough to be a college coach as opposed to what he has enjoyed as the Celtics coach and now replacing Danny Ainge, he would be crazy to leave the NBA at this point.
I'm guessin' $cheyer will continue to recruit as well as they have been for the past few years ... the Iron Dook$ aren't going anywhere.

Talk about needing a fast forward button! I would love to get past the slob fest and get to basketball without him staining the fabric! The only reason I resist this idea is I would miss seeing Hubs' inaugural season!

Reactions: bluetoe
A lot of folks seem to believe that Sheyer was named just to give Brad Stevens some time to see if maybe he would consider coming to duke
I wonder if the timing of this announcement might have been sped up because Roy just turned the reins over to an assistant without head coaching experience.

It doesn't matter to K or Scheyer, but I imagine it made it much easier for the Duke front office to go that route after Hubert already paved the way and the world didn't end for UNC.

His recruits only stay one year anyway, so how does announcing a year in advance help?
I would suggest that K needing his farewell tour could be more a dis-service to that duke program. Reason being, future recruits now looking to consider duke, what will they hear from the duke head coach, sorry but I will never be your coach? IN the way Roy stepped down, gave Hubert decent time to work on next season recruits but also gives future recruits the chance to not only hear Hubert's pitch now but to see his team play before they make their decisions, while duke's future coach will still have to defer to K next season.

Duke is already MIA on many of the top talents lists, much more so than we have seen in how many years? I get that duke's 2 5 star freshmen at least were, may still be considering a pro option now and that may have been even more likely had K left now but Hubert had plenty time to re-establish his relationships with guys already on our team as well as those committed that have yet to play for us and. That has worked out rather well for us and now Hubert is hosting an array of really good talents this month after a number of years of struggles to get guys to visit that we really wanted to engage with.

After next season, duke is going to lose a ton of talent as they always do from a 1&D stacked team but their ability to re-lad it with the next set of 1&D talents is not looking great at this point and seems to be projecting even worse down the road. Scheyer may be in a hole so deep that he may not have the time at duke to dig out of it by the time he is officially duke's head coach.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
ADVERTISEMENT