ADVERTISEMENT

Coach K to Retire!

I would suggest that K needing his farewell tour could be more a dis-service to that duke program. Reason being, future recruits now looking to consider duke, what will they hear from the duke head coach, sorry but I will never be your coach? IN the way Roy stepped down, gave Hubert decent time to work on next season recruits but also gives future recruits the chance to not only hear Hubert's pitch now but to see his team play before they make their decisions, while duke's future coach will still have to defer to K next season.

Duke is already MIA on many of the top talents lists, much more so than we have seen in how many years? I get that duke's 2 5 star freshmen at least were, may still be considering a pro option now and that may have been even more likely had K left now but Hubert had plenty time to re-establish his relationships with guys already on our team as well as those committed that have yet to play for us and. That has worked out rather well for us and now Hubert is hosting an array of really good talents this month after a number of years of struggles to get guys to visit that we really wanted to engage with.

After next season, duke is going to lose a ton of talent as they always do from a 1&D stacked team but their ability to re-lad it with the next set of 1&D talents is not looking great at this point and seems to be projecting even worse down the road. Scheyer may be in a hole so deep that he may not have the time at duke to dig out of it by the time he is officially duke's head coach.
I see it differently Dsouth....kids coming next season 100% know they are coming to play for a Jon Scheyer led team, not for Coach K.....also this helps scheyer in his 1st season, as there could have been possible defections after learning of K's decision ie) well since K is gone, ill just go with the G League or etc...Duke is fine on the top talents list currently, offers out and more expected soon....2 of the 4 new recruits are considered OAD....a 3rd could be possible..............scheyer has all this season to pitch to kids to come play for him next year, much easier imo now, than after the season ends next year....

I see it differently Dsouth....kids coming next season 100% know they are coming to play for a Jon Scheyer led team, not for Coach K.....also this helps scheyer in his 1st season, as there could have been possible defections after learning of K's decision ie) well since K is gone, ill just go with the G League or etc...Duke is fine on the top talents list currently, offers out and more expected soon....2 of the 4 new recruits are considered OAD....a 3rd could be possible..............scheyer has all this season to pitch to kids to come play for him next year, much easier imo now, than after the season ends next year....
Yep. That's how I see it, too.

Having said that, I hope Paolo Banchero jumps to the G-League for this season. Good to see ya Boogie!

Reactions: TheGLOV

Nah, K is just a self-centered prick that needs his ego stroked. He’s always been that. No doubt duke and its fans are trying to spin it into “he’s doing this for Scheyer and the kids”. And your jumbled up, word salad shows us that you’re working hard to try and sell more folks into believing that garbage. But sometimes, things are exactly as they appear. This is one of those times.

The Face winning 1000 games at puke is so funny I almost fell off my couch! If he makes it to 3 seasons, I'll be shocked! The idea that ratty was thinking of anyone but himself is even more laughable! The guy that told a player he was forking up his program for going pro and who allowed an assistant to take "credit" for one of his worst seasons suddenly develops altruism???? He is more likely to suddenly develop gray hair than he is a generous spirit!

I imagine that's what the Duke fans are saying about Hubert.

Both know the game and were good players and have (in theory) schools that help them recruit. But neither has held the reins.
Of course!! But even if Hubert averages 30 wins for the next twenty five years, he will only have 750 wins at age 76

boogie my man, no sir, next season those duke players will be playing for K. Scheyer may take a larger role than he has in the past but make no mistake, next season will be K's team. The kid's coming in AFTER next season will be making VERY different decisions because they wil not be deciding of they will play for a HOF coach, just as UNC prospects right now know they will not be playing for a HOF coach. What that means is that as of now Hubert has a head start over Scheyer in players knowing they will be coached by him and make your decision based on that. Because K has decided to take his season long bows, he has caused the future to be started a year from now. A pretty fair poet once wrote "If tis to be done tis best to be done quickly", happened for UNC so that our transition is now fully engaged, has been delayed for a year for your dukies.

1000% D! This gives our potential recruits an entire year to see what Hubs does; his system; his demeanor during games/practices; his support of peeps off the court; and his ability to get info for those considering the pros! Face will start at Ground Zero and puke has nothing but ratty to lean on for tradition!

The rat lord giveth and he taketh away!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT