ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching Carousel 2022

tarheel0910

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 24, 2011
Earth
Figured we needed to go ahead and start a thread with all the moves being made already.

Longo being rumored for the Auburn OC job.
I'm fine with that. All we need to do is get someone like Garrett Riley to take the job with the understanding he'll take over in a year or two.

ETA: I know UNC won't pay for top coordinators, so a guy like that won't happen.

What about satterfield going from Louisville to Cincinnati and they play in their bowl game

I'm fine with that. All we need to do is get someone like Garrett Riley to take the job with the understanding he'll take over in a year or two.

ETA: I know UNC won't pay for top coordinators, so a guy like that won't happen.
And you think Mack the Ego would ever agree to have anyone on his staff who is expected to take over from him within any reasonably set number of years?

It was extremely difficult to get Bobby Bowden to do that, and Mack's faith in his salesmanship far exceeds anything in Bowden. Right now, Mack thinks that his tongue is going to lead to the greatest recruiting class in history, which will win 2, maybe 3, National Championships, and then people will talk about him as equal to Saban.

If any of that had been possible, it almost certainly would have to have been part of the original hiring in abroad sense: i.e. that Mack would be expected top agree to step down within a year or 3 after he has coached 5 seasons. And that by the ned of his 4th season, Mack and Bubba would have agreed on someone to be brought in to take over from Mack, Ala Jumbo at FSU. Under such an arrangement, Mack certainly would have wanted to promote his ego with someone he could point to and say - I was his mentor, or at least, I inspired him. The best we could have gotten then probably would have been a Tom Herman. who now is going to be Florida Atlantic HC. Herman was a GA at Texas, and specifically was an assistant to OC Greg Davis. Davis was Mack's super BFF his final years at UNC the first time. So Mack could find some joy in Tom Herman replacing him.

Other some kind of scenario like that, I have major doubts that Mack is going to agree to anything other than that he intends to do what he intends to so - Mack will have to be forced, just like last year when he was forced to Mae some kind of change to the D staff, and being Mack protected his favorites while blaming the guy who was the outsider in his eyes.

What about satterfield going from Louisville to Cincinnati and they play in their bowl game
Cincy is Louisville's most played foe in both revenue sports. The schools are located 100 mles apart. Back when seemingly nobody cared at all about Louisville football (until Howard Schnellebergar began real change, the Cards played football on a high school field at the fairgrounds), there were Cards fans who'd drive to Cincy more to boo the Bearcats than cheer for Cards. So Satterfeild leaving for Cincy is never going to be forgotten or forgiven.

And you think Mack the Ego would ever agree to have anyone on his staff who is expected to take over from him within any reasonably set number of years?

It was extremely difficult to get Bobby Bowden to do that, and Mack's faith in his salesmanship far exceeds anything in Bowden. Right now, Mack thinks that his tongue is going to lead to the greatest recruiting class in history, which will win 2, maybe 3, National Championships, and then people will talk about him as equal to Saban.

If any of that had been possible, it almost certainly would have to have been part of the original hiring in abroad sense: i.e. that Mack would be expected top agree to step down within a year or 3 after he has coached 5 seasons. And that by the ned of his 4th season, Mack and Bubba would have agreed on someone to be brought in to take over from Mack, Ala Jumbo at FSU. Under such an arrangement, Mack certainly would have wanted to promote his ego with someone he could point to and say - I was his mentor, or at least, I inspired him. The best we could have gotten then probably would have been a Tom Herman. who now is going to be Florida Atlantic HC. Herman was a GA at Texas, and specifically was an assistant to OC Greg Davis. Davis was Mack's super BFF his final years at UNC the first time. So Mack could find some joy in Tom Herman replacing him.

Other some kind of scenario like that, I have major doubts that Mack is going to agree to anything other than that he intends to do what he intends to so - Mack will have to be forced, just like last year when he was forced to Mae some kind of change to the D staff, and being Mack protected his favorites while blaming the guy who was the outsider in his eyes.
Not reading all of that, but as to your first sentence, I think he would because he knows he's not going to be here for another 10 years. This wasn't a die on the job stop for him.

Not reading all of that, but as to your first sentence, I think he would because he knows he's not going to be here for another 10 years. This wasn't a die on the job stop for him.
You think he would? And what in his past, including current past, makes you think that? Do you think this with Bubba and the boosters picking that HC in Waiting? Or do you think Mack would agree only if he picks that guy? If the latter, would you be confident that Mack would make a wise pick?

Longo being rumored for the Auburn OC job.
Do you think Longo would take that job? If so, what does that say about Mack and what Longo thinks about his future tied to Mack? When an OC has had 4 consecutive years of top notch QBs leading high flying offenses, he almost never have any interest in leaving (save for his lama mater or a NationaL Champ contender). That goes double when the OC has a legit Heisman candidate returning.

Why might Longo prefer to be part of rebuilding Auburn rather than staying with what he has helped build at UNC? Is perhaps Longo going to angle interest from Auburn into getting a better deal for at UNC? Would you think it for the future of UNC football if Longo were named HC in Waiting?

Do you think Longo would take that job? If so, what does that say about Mack and what Longo thinks about his future tied to Mack? When an OC has had 4 consecutive years of top notch QBs leading high flying offenses, he almost never have any interest in leaving (save for his lama mater or a NationaL Champ contender). That goes double when the OC has a legit Heisman candidate returning.

Why might Longo prefer to be part of rebuilding Auburn rather than staying with what he has helped build at UNC? Is perhaps Longo going to angle interest from Auburn into getting a better deal for at UNC? Would you think it for the future of UNC football if Longo were named HC in Waiting?
Would he take the Auburn gig if he could sway Drake to go with him?

Think the better question is would UNC match what Auburn is willing to give him and less about a rebuild and Mack Brown.

Would he take the Auburn gig if he could sway Drake to go with him?
Who is more likely to, say, be able to beat Bama? Hugh Frieze or Mack Brown? Frieze beat Saban twice while at Ole Miss. And he did not have a Drake Maye at QB.

Think the better question is would UNC match what Auburn is willing to give him and less about a rebuild and Mack Brown.
Longo is not going to retire when Mack finally does. He wants a career to last. In fact, he is going to want to be HC. Showing what you can do in the SEC is better for that than staying with an aging Mack.

Longo is not going to retire when Mack finally does. He wants a career to last. In fact, he is going to want to be HC. Showing what you can do in the SEC is better for that than staying with an aging Mack.
Sec will always be better than the ACC. Regardless of Mack Brown. But I know it’s your MO to bring him into it. Did Satterfield leave the ACC because of an aging Mack Brown, too?

You think he would?
You replied to the post where I said he would, so yes, I think he would.

And what in his past, including current past, makes you think that? Do you think this with Bubba and the boosters picking that HC in Waiting? Or do you think Mack would agree only if he picks that guy? If the latter, would you be confident that Mack would make a wise pick?
Based on UNC football history, I expect a coach to be hired that will average around 7 wins, accomplish nothing and be gone in 4-6 years. Then the same thing will happen again, and again, and again...

Sec will always be better than the ACC. Regardless of Mack Brown. But I know it’s your MO to bring him into it. Did Satterfield leave the ACC because of an aging Mack Brown, too?
Your line of thinking is not any better than the average Bunting defender.

The biggest reason that Fuente could not stir uo magic like he had at MNemophis is that the DC who totally rebuilt the Memohis D, Barry Odom, did nit come with him. Odom went to his alma mater Missouri. Odom was fired from Missouri and recently has been DC at Arkansas. He totally revived the Hang D. Now Odom is headed to be UNLV HC.

Odom may be a very HC this time. Or he could be an excellent coordinator who just is not going to a good HC. Id the latter, look for him to again be a DC who is key to the successes of some HC.

And watch Arkansas without Odom. If Pittman replaces Odom with an inferior DC, then Arkansas easily could tumble back into the bottom 3 or 4 of the SEC.

Wisconsin DC Jim Leonhard is not staying to be on Fickell's staff, Leonhard played at Wisconsin, and he really wanted the job. AS a large number of Wisconsin players and former players and fans wanted Leonhard, his staying could have been a major mess of divided loyalties that kept Fickell from achieving as well as he might have.

So that makes one of the best young DCs available.

If you don’t like facts, keep it moving. Again, you’re not as smart as you think you are. Bringing up Bunting every day is getting a little stale, need some new material.
Those who refuse to know the past always repeat it. Those who excused and cheered on Torbush, Bunting, Fedora, and now Mack his most beloved pet of all time Bly all end up sounding exactly alike. What passes for logic and facts awareness among them ends being the same nonsense that is a desperate cover for them to retain the Faith.

I do not care if you are ever able to understand any of that. I expect you to be like the most proud defenders of Fedora who went from hating me for explaining how ands why the Fedora regime would fail to pretending that they knew all along that Fedora was not 'the Guy.' You'll learn nothing along the way. And Art Chansky will smile at your doing service for him and his ilk.

• Haha
Reactions: strummingram
Those who refuse to know the past always repeat it. Those who excused and cheered on Torbush, Bunting, Fedora, and now Mack his most beloved pet of all time Bly all end up sounding exactly alike. What passes for logic and facts awareness among them ends being the same nonsense that is a desperate cover for them to retain the Faith.

I do not care if you are ever able to understand any of that. I expect you to be like the most proud defenders of Fedora who went from hating me for explaining how ands why the Fedora regime would fail to pretending that they knew all along that Fedora was not 'the Guy.' You'll learn nothing along the way. And Art Chansky will smile at your doing service for him and his ilk.
Why are you so obsessed with Bly? Out of ALL the issues this program has, you're fixated on a guy that helps bring in recruits and that is learning from Chiz and Warren.

No, I don't care about all of that. Because I have nothing to do with the decisions that UNC makes. You take this way too seriously. You don't have to pretend like you know the future for every thing college football. No one knows how these hires/firings etc will shake out. Just like you and your most beloved pet of all time, Gattis. You claimed he was going to be this BBBBIGGGGG time coach and he flopped. You're not as smart as oyu think you are.

Reactions: tarheel0910
I don't care much for Pat Forde, but one thing he knows is Louisville - the entire area and not just the UofL. He worked for the Courier-Journal for years and covered Cards sports as well as UK and Cincy and area HS teams. So I do find his take on Satterfield to Cincy worthwhile.

Forde knows all the Louisville boosters and so always knows all the inside stuff there. I think the heart of the article is this: "Satterfield cleaned up the stink left behind at the end of Bobby Petrino 2.0, but he still wasn’t terribly popular. His résumé at the school: a 25–24 record, a resentment-inducing flirtation with South Carolina in 2020 and an 0–3 record against archrival Kentucky. He was on the hot seat heading into this season and seemed like a goner after a 2–3 start, only to turn things around with five wins in a six-game span.

With two years remaining on his contract, Satterfield and his agent wanted an extension. Athletic director Josh Heird met with Satterfield on Nov. 27, a day after Louisville lost by 13 points to Kentucky. The plan was to retain him for a fifth season, and discussions were had about what needed to be done to take the next step up the college football ladder—but in the end, an appreciably sweetened deal was not forthcoming.

“You can’t keep losing to Kentucky and get extended,” said one Louisville source."

The presumption was that Satterfield had no real alternatives to relocate. But then Cincinnati lost the hugely successful Luke Fickell to Wisconsin, and an intriguing job just 100 miles up Interstate 71 from Louisville opened. (At the time, most of the names being bandied about for the Bearcats job were from the mid-major level.)"

What Forde unloads is that even though Satterfield cleaned up a major mess - Petrino essentially stopping recruiting his final year or 18 months was far from the worst part - Louisville people expected more in terms of Ws and even though both UK and RofL are seen as 'basketball;l schools,' Cards fans cannot live with losing to UK in football. Even when UK is at its football best all the way back to before Rupp drove Bear Bryant out of Lexington to make certain UK remained a 'basketball school.'

Satterfield felt unappreciated because he knew what a giant mess he faced when starting the Louisville job, and knew that all kinds of people would not have been able to right that ship. UofL boosters and admin people felt that Satterfield had no choice but to accept what Louisville said - so they were trying to. squeeze him.

And the result is that Satterfield is headed to Cincy.

Even Cards fans who really liked Satterfield (unlike Petrino, he is clean and decent, and fans who know how thin the roster had been depleted know that Satterfield actually won several more games than most coaches could have) would be more than thrilled if home town hero Brohm returned, and Forde shows why that could happen now when it was impossible when Satterfield was hired: because Brohm then was new to Purdue and is too honorable to leave a school that quickly without accomplishing much.

ACC football could use the boost of Louisville pulling a winning Big Ten coach away from BT money. So I hope that happens.

Isn't it amazing that Louisville fans, fans of a 'basketball school' do not wallow in accepting mediocre results in football? They don't whine that until the 1980s the team played on a run down HS field at the fairgrounds, so they cannot expect top ever be really good in football. They don't whine that maybe 7 wins is all they can expect because the state produces next to no talent even compared to IN. They don't whine that fans who demand more than maybe bare wining seasons cause trouble for them in their complacency with football mediocrity. Louisville fans expect to win in football. They expect to beat the hated in-state rival in football, SEC advantages be damned.

Why are you so obsessed with Bly? Out of ALL the issues this program has, you're fixated on a guy that helps bring in recruits and that is learning from Chiz and Warren.

No, I don't care about all of that. Because I have nothing to do with the decisions that UNC makes. You take this way too seriously. You don't have to pretend like you know the future for every thing college football. No one knows how these hires/firings etc will shake out. Just like you and your most beloved pet of all time, Gattis. You claimed he was going to be this BBBBIGGGGG time coach and he flopped. You're not as smart as oyu think you are.
Most specifically right now, you remind me of a now deceased UNC fan who was ardent about backing both Tiorbush and Bunting. One of the things I had said during discussion s about why Bunting had to go ASAP was that when Torbush was hired, UNC had refused to even have. serious talk with Jim Donnan, who then was HC at UGA. Donnan played at Moo and so was not wanted for that reason by almost all UNC boosters who were basketball-first, while football people knew Donnan as a very sound UNC assistant under Dooley for 4 years. And Donnan was very interested in returning to UNC. As with Mark Right when Bunting was hired, Donnan was perhaps the top guy I said should have been pursued when the wrong guy was hired. which wrong hire was beloved by seemingly all the basketball boosters. .

The really hardcore Bunting defender somehow decided that I had claimed that Donnan was the best coach in the history of the SEC and that proved how little I knew because UGA would fire Donnan, which allowed UGA to hire Richt. It's really interesting how all these things keep twisting back on one another.

I never claimed that Donnan was the best at anything, except being a much better choice than Torbush. But I really think the Bunting idiot had come to believe that I had said that Donnan was better than Bear Bryant, because such an absurd claim would make me seem nuts as he kept defending the status quo that was Bunting.

I have never claimed that Gattis is the best OC in the country or in any conference. I simply said what ought to be obvious: Gattis was a good hire for Cristobal because he knew the ACC (played at Wake and was GA at UNC) and had worked for Saban at Bama and had already been a P5 OC) All that is very good experience for an OC in the ACC. I never said he would win the Broyles or become the highest paid OC in history because no DC could ever stop his offenses. It was a good hire, and because Cristobol is not Mack with one of his pet friends of long standing, if Gattis does not not deliver, he will be replaced, as he should be. Miami fans will not tolerate the endless mediocrity.

Hiring a coach who is totally unqualified for the job is a major sign that something is bad wrong at the very top. Bly remains to this day totally unqualified. And his recruiting is vastly overrated.

I have never said it is possible to know precisely how any hire will turn out. It is possible, however, to have a very sound sense of what is most likely if you know the sport well and know the pasts of the individuals being considered. I know Mack's career. I know his biasses and his predilections, which means I know his weaknesses and his compulsions. And from all that I can make educated guesses about what he will produce at a given place. Because he is now heading toward 75, his ability to recruit well is going to start to slip. That means if Mack is retained for more than a couple of years, what we have seen the past two years is going to be looked back on as a greta time. Why? Because Mack wins one way only: by amassing more talent than. his foes, and very old men can't recruit like they could at even 60 because players want a coach who is not going to have stroke on the job.

Both Paterno and Bowden saw their recruiting drop considerably their final 7-8 years as HC because age defeated them. And they both, unlike Mack, had histories of winning many big games when they had less talent than the foe.

Most specifically right now, you remind me of a now deceased UNC fan who was ardent about backing both Tiorbush and Bunting. One of the things I had said during discussion s about why Bunting had to go ASAP was that when Torbush was hired, UNC had refused to even have. serious talk with Jim Donnan, who then was HC at UGA. Donnan played at Moo and so was not wanted for that reason by almost all UNC boosters who were basketball-first, while football people knew Donnan as a very sound UNC assistant under Dooley for 4 years. And Donnan was very interested in returning to UNC. As with Mark Right when Bunting was hired, Donnan was perhaps the top guy I said should have been pursued when the wrong guy was hired. which wrong hire was beloved by seemingly all the basketball boosters. .

The really hardcore Bunting defender somehow decided that I had claimed that Donnan was the best coach in the history of the SEC and that proved how little I knew because UGA would fire Donnan, which allowed UGA to hire Richt. It's really interesting how all these things keep twisting back on one another.

I never claimed that Donnan was the best at anything, except being a much better choice than Torbush. But I really think the Bunting idiot had come to believe that I had said that Donnan was better than Bear Bryant, because such an absurd claim would make me seem nuts as he kept defending the status quo that was Bunting.

I have never claimed that Gattis is the best OC in the country or in any conference. I simply said what ought to be obvious: Gattis was a good hire for Cristobal because he knew the ACC (played at Wake and was GA at UNC) and had worked for Saban at Bama and had already been a P5 OC) All that is very good experience for an OC in the ACC. I never said he would win the Broyles or become the highest paid OC in history because no DC could ever stop his offenses. It was a good hire, and because Cristobol is not Mack with one of his pet friends of long standing, if Gattis does not not deliver, he will be replaced, as he should be. Miami fans will not tolerate the endless mediocrity.

Hiring a coach who is totally unqualified for the job is a major sign that something is bad wrong at the very top. Bly remains to this day totally unqualified. And his recruiting is vastly overrated.

I have never said it is possible to know precisely how any hire will turn out. It is possible, however, to have a very sound sense of what is most likely if you know the sport well and know the pasts of the individuals being considered. I know Mack's career. I know his biasses and his predilections, which means I know his weaknesses and his compulsions. And from all that I can make educated guesses about what he will produce at a given place. Because he is now heading toward 75, his ability to recruit well is going to start to slip. That means if Mack is retained for more than a couple of years, what we have seen the past two years is going to be looked back on as a greta time. Why? Because Mack wins one way only: by amassing more talent than. his foes, and very old men can't recruit like they could at even 60 because players want a coach who is not going to have stroke on the job.

Both Paterno and Bowden saw their recruiting drop considerably their final 7-8 years as HC because age defeated them. And they both, unlike Mack, had histories of winning many big games when they had less talent than the foe.
You remind me of my 5-year-old that doesn't know when to stop when he's way behind. Not reading that fiction. Go Heels.

Reactions: tarheel0910
You remind me of my 5-year-old that doesn't know when to stop when he's way behind. Not reading that fiction. Go Heels.
What a sad thought for me that you claim not to read what you complain about. Keep telling yourself that Dre Bly paid to be trained to do a job for which he is unqualified makes sense. Perhaps you can convince Mack and Bubba to make the entire staff just like Bly. Then won't UNC football be grand!

Jeff Brohm returning to his alma mater and home town: Louisville. That should save the recruiting class that Satterfield had assembled (the best in many years) and fire up fans.

What a sad thought for me that you claim not to read what you complain about. Keep telling yourself that Dre Bly paid to be trained to do a job for which he is unqualified makes sense. Perhaps you can convince Mack and Bubba to make the entire staff just like Bly. Then won't UNC football be grand!
Who's complaining? Why would I want to read about former coaches and Art Chansky? LOL. Keep telling yourself that Dre has a say in who they play and how they play defense. Dude was a All American and Super Bowl Champ playing man to man in your face defense. This defense plays soft coverage with their DB's 8 yards off on 3rd and 5. You never mention Warren, who coaches all DB's, wonder why? Hire Gattis, right!?

Last edited:
Blow it all up and go get Kliff Kingsbury when the Cards let him go.

Poor Syracuse had a decent come back season and now has seen its staff hit hard. Robert Anae has gone to Moo to be OC, and Tony White has gone to Nebraska to be DC. Those 2 blows together might be the final ones to bring down Babers.

Cal grad Sacramento St's Troy Taylor is now Stanford HC. Taylor has been OC at Utah under Kyle Wllingham, and this year Sacramento State was undefeated before losing in the 1AA/FCS playoff.

Navy has fired Ken Niumatalolo. He has the most wins in school history: 109.

Coaches go over the hill. Even the winningest coaches at programs. And the longer those over the hill coaches are kept, the farther behind the program gets.

Poor Syracuse had a decent come back season and now has seen its staff hit hard. Robert Anae has gone to Moo to be OC, and Tony White has gone to Nebraska to be DC. Those 2 blows together might be the final ones to bring down Babers.
Anae is a good hire for State imo. They have a realistic shot at a couple different QBs to replace Leary.

Reactions: Archer2
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT