ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching Carousel

Raising Heel

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2008
A van down by the river
Might as well start a thread to keep track of all the head coach openings and hires. There are several of interest in the conference/region.

Pat Forde is reporting that VT is on the verge of hiring Justin Fuente.

Might as well start a thread to keep track of all the head coach openings and hires. There are several of interest in the conference/region.

That's interesting. I work with a guy that's pretty connected with the VT scene who said they were on the verge of hiring Mullen from Mississippi State. Today, he also flipped to Fuente. That would be an interesting hire for the Hokies.

That would be huge for VT and make things tougher for us. Fuente took over a Memphis program that was dead in the water in every way. It was hopeless. And in year 3 he produced 1 of the 2 best teams in school history. This team is a good as last year's against a tougher schedule and with a new DC who is new to being a DC.

A top QB who can transfer after getting his degree should immediately want to play for Fuente, and that alone could improve VT by at least 2 Ws next year.

That's interesting. I work with a guy that's pretty connected with the VT scene who said they were on the verge of hiring Mullen from Mississippi State. Today, he also flipped to Fuente. That would be an interesting hire for the Hokies.
I would take Fuente over Mullen.

I just don't know about Fuente. Yea, he seems like a great coach, but having success at Memphis is not the same as having success at Mississippi State. I say screw them both, open up the bank vault and go after Les Miles or Chip Kelly.

I just don't know about Fuente. Yea, he seems like a great coach, but having success at Memphis is not the same as having success at Mississippi State. I say screw them both, open up the bank vault and go after Les Miles or Chip Kelly.
You have success where you are. Where you are limits what you can do.

Mullen took over a Miss St program that had gone to a bowl just the year before. Almost all analysts agreed that Miss St had the talent to go bowling every year under Croom. Miss St was not a total train wreck when Mullen took over, and Mullen did not produce 1 of the 2 best teams in school history by his 3rd year.

Is Mullen a top coach? Yes. Could he do better when he is no longer at a #2 school and #2 football program in a small state? Probably. But I am certain that he would have done no better at Memphis than Fuente and most likely would not have been quite as good.

I heard a week ago that Chad Morris was going to be the next VT coach. But a lot of the fans were clamoring for Fuente. Frankly, I'm not all that impressed by either. Especially when Kirby Smart stated he was interested and a couple VT insiders told me that Brent Venables was interested and was their first choice.

So how about the other programs? Miami? LSU? South Carolina? etc,....

I don't think any of those will know until the season is over and we see what coaches have lost jobs and what positions are open.

Orlando Sentinel says Gene Chizik has "expressed high interest" in the Central Florida job. Chizik is a FL native and was an assistant at UCF for 4 years.

link

Last edited:
Orlando Sentinel says Gene Chizik has "expressed high interest" in the Central Florida job. Chizik is a FL native and was an assistant at UCF for 4 years.

link

I don't know if Chizik will get that job but apparently he's looking. Damn, I hardly knew ye.

Did you guys really think an NCAA champion coach would settle for just being a DC? I'm thankful he came UNC.The only way he will stay at the hill is as our HC and we know that's not happening.

I would not be surprised to see Chizik wait see if Fedora leaves. My gut tells me he realizes what can be done with football at UNC.

Did you guys really think an NCAA champion coach would settle for just being a DC?
He might. Good money, much less pressure, great university and community, a chance to be a part of building something really special here and be revered for doing so. Who knows what his motivations are. He's not getting any younger - maybe he doesn't want the hassles of being a head coach again. We'll see.

He might. Good money, much less pressure, great university and community, a chance to be a part of building something really special here and be revered for doing so. Who knows what his motivations are. He's not getting any younger - maybe he doesn't want the hassles of being a head coach again. We'll see.
Wish full thing coaches have egos they have to have to deal with fan bases and boosters, they all want to be in charge

Did you guys really think an NCAA champion coach would settle for just being a DC? I'm thankful he came UNC.The only way he will stay at the hill is as our HC and we know that's not happening.
He will not stay for long as as DC. But 1 year to then be HC at UCF? That makes no sense, doubly so as this crop if mid-major HCs expected top get P5 jobs is very impressive and the UNC D next year should be better than this one.

...and the UNC D next year should be better than this one.

Schoettmer, Rashad, Smiley and Lawrence are all leaving, right? It's hard for me to think that we'll be better. I know it will be year 2 under Chizik, but those 4 guys have been HUGE for us this year.

Schoettmer, Rashad, Smiley and Lawrence are all leaving, right? It's hard for me to think that we'll be better. I know it will be year 2 under Chizik, but those 4 guys have been HUGE for us this year.

Lawrence is a junior. Put him in the secondary with an upperclassman Stewart covering the other side and this defense can be BEAST level.

Lawrence is a junior. Put him in the secondary with an upperclassman Stewart covering the other side and this defense can be BEAST level.
Star with the DL. Both Gnonkonde and Bart come back. Junior has shown flashes of brilliance, and Bart has become surprisingly good. DT will be loaded: Jones, Powell, Clarke, Dalton, Crawford, Dinkins - Campbell if he is not redshirted.

Next year, our DL should create havoc from the inside out.

continuing the hijack of this thread the LB's will be the biggest question mark for next year
Andre Smith MLB / Cayson Collins OLB / not sure who will take the opposite side Ayden or Sutton?

Collins, Cayson
Bonilla, Ayden
Crafford, Hunter
Holcomb, Cole
Beasley Jr., Keith
Mastromatteo, Dan
Bales, Alex
Pettway, Kemmi
Sutton, Johnathon
Smith, Andre
Petty, Marlon

Don't kid ya self,if some big time program comes calling he will boot.He has a big time reseme just to remain a DC.

Don't kid ya self,if some big time program comes calling he will boot.He has a big time reseme just to remain a DC.
I agree that Chizik is going to be HC again, and I would bet that if it is not for 2016, it will be for 2017. But I don't see him jumping now to be UCF HC. When you have been DC on a 13-0 SEC/Sugar Bowl champ and a 14-0 RoseBowl/National champ and a Broyles Award winner and HC of a 14-0 National champ, and then you rebuild the worst D in UNC history in 1 year, your sense of pride is such that you are not going to want to be a non-P5 HC. Your sights on on Big Time.

Look at Ed Orgeron. He is much less accomplished than Chizik, and he sees all possibilities of HC at a non-P5 school as insulting.

I think Chizik's agent has gotten word out that he is interested in the UCF HC job for 2 reasons: to see if that spurs any P5 Ads to pursue him, and to prod Bubba Cunningham to cough up to keep him.

That is the way the coaches game is played these days.

I think Chizik's agent has gotten word out that he is interested in the UCF HC job for 2 reasons: to see if that spurs any P5 Ads to pursue him, and to prod Bubba Cunningham to cough up to keep him.

That is the way the coaches game is played these days.

DING DING DING!

Seth Littrell being reported as one of two finalists for the University of North Texas head coaching job. He's a native of Muskogee, Oklahoma, which is only about 4 hours from Denton, TX.

A lot of HC job openings,we'll be very lucky to keep him.
We'll see.

A lot coaches, including Butch Davis, have learned that moving to a new job before you have achieved all you can achieve where you are is something you may regret for life. This program is set for a better future. Next year's team should be better than this one, because it will enter the season with more experienced depth. There should be no drop off for 2017.

If Fedora leaves, he is leaving what has just now been built. And somebody else is going to reap the benefits next year.

Seth Littrell being reported as one of two finalists for the University of North Texas head coaching job. He's a native of Muskogee, Oklahoma, which is only about 4 hours from Denton, TX.

North Texas has had some decent teams and players. Its location means the right coach can win there. An ark full of talent is produced every year within a 2 hour drive of Denton.

If Littrell's dream job is to replace Stoops at OU, then he should get HC experience, preferably in the southwest.

North Texas has had some decent teams and players. Its location means the right coach can win there. An ark full of talent is produced every year within a 2 hour drive of Denton.

If Littrell's dream job is to replace Stoops at OU, then he should get HC experience, preferably in the southwest.
Agreed with this. Littrell is going to have to clean up around the edges in interviews, though, to make it as a head coach.

We'll see.

A lot coaches, including Butch Davis, have learned that moving to a new job before you have achieved all you can achieve where you are is something you may regret for life. This program is set for a better future. Next year's team should be better than this one, because it will enter the season with more experienced depth. There should be no drop off for 2017.

If Fedora leaves, he is leaving what has just now been built. And somebody else is going to reap the benefits next year.

Agreed on Fedora. UNC may be perfect for him provided the money is right. He can win it all here, I believe, without some of the ridiculous expectations of an LSU or some other schools.

More concerned about Chizik since he's been a head coach and may want to be again. The guy has a national title even. My hope is stays at least another 3-4 years. Perhaps that's too much to expect.

Agreed with this. Littrell is going to have to clean up around the edges in interviews, though, to make it as a head coach.
I just hope that his interviewing and cleaning up around the edges to do well in them does not hurt us, today or next week or in the post-season.

Agreed on Fedora. UNC may be perfect for him provided the money is right. He can win it all here, I believe, without some of the ridiculous expectations of an LSU or some other schools.

More concerned about Chizik since he's been a head coach and may want to be again. The guy has a national title even. My hope is stays at least another 3-4 years. Perhaps that's too much to expect.
I'd say so. I hope he stays for next year. I doubt he will be satisfied as a DC for more than 2 years, to prove what he can do and complete that job.

ESPN saying Fuente to VT a done deal, and Foster will remain.

That is the best possible Win/Win for VT. Foster maintains the D and staff continuity, and Fuente rebrands the offense.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT