ADVERTISEMENT

Complete Hubert Davis UNC-Ash-Carolina Postgame Presser Transcript

andrew jones

Hall of Famer
Staff
Jul 21, 2014
Q: UNC does not play again for 8 days, how will they handle the long break?

DAVIS: “This is a great opportunity for us to get better as a team. We’re off for eight days, we’re gonna celebrate Thanksgiving, we’re gonna spend time together as a team away from the court, but we’re also gonna practice a lot, and we’re gonna get better. I don’t care what anyone says, I’m convinced that this is a team that has a chance to win a national championship, I just believe that. They’re great kids, unbelievable kids to be around everyday, they’re talented out there on the floor, and I’m excited this week to get better as a team, and to spend time together as a team. It’s hard to during the season with school and recruiting. I can’t wait to get back to spending time together with the team away from the court. I’m really excited about these next eight days.”

Q: Four straight opponents have scored 19 points off turnovers, what has been the issue?

DAVIS: “One of the things I always say with turnovers is it’s either one of two things, it’s selfishness, or carelessness. Our turnovers are 100 percent never selfish, they just aren’t, they’re just careless. We’ve talked about it daily, and that’s something we’re gonna reinforce everyday, about taking care of the basketball, and not being careless with the basketball. We’ve gone against teams that have pressured, and teams that have pressed, and for whatever reason, carelessly we pass the ball, and UNC Asheville was able to get some deflections and some steals. I’m gonna focus on the positive.

“The positive was we held them to 26 percent from the field. Over the weekend against Purdue and Tennessee, from a defensive standpoint, we didn’t play defense the way that I felt like we can play defense. Tonight to hold a team to 26 percent, I’m really encouraged by that, and I’m gonna focus on the positive.”

Q: Did it feel like the team took playing defense personally tonight?

DAVIS: “I do, I really do. We talked about over the weekend, both Tennessee, and Purdue shot 55 percent from the field, and over 40 percent from three. I think there was a stat that we allowed over 90 points in the paint over the weekend, and we took offense to that. We’re a much better team than what we played against Purdue and Tennessee. There were a lot of frustrated, upset, motivated guys in the locker room, and they responded on the defensive end. There was a stretch in the first half where I think we got seven stops in a row. I was really excited, and really happy for that, and I thought we were dialed in defensively.”

Q: Brady Manek said they needed to be better, where does the balance need to be between players being leaders, and him as the head coach being a leader?

DAVIS: “I love Brady, I love his fire. He’s our most experienced player. He’s played four years in the Big 12, he’s played in big games, big situations. Even though he hasn’t been here, he has a clear understanding of what it takes to be competitive, what it takes to win, and be competitive in big games, and big situations. I love when he speaks up, when he speaks the team listens because of his experience, because of his play, and because of how wise he is out there on the floor, and I like his fire.

“I always say this to the guys, if you’re emotional, and you show emotions, that’s good. If you’re emotional, and you have emotions out there on the floor, on the bench, in the huddle, I’m 100 percent for that, that means you care. You saying that Brady came into the interview room hot, that puts a smile on my face, that means he cares. He’s right, this team can be very good, and he understands that. We’re very fortunate to have Brady Manek on this team, and a part of this program.”

Q: Hey Hubert I wanted to follow up on that. How did you see the players talking to each other and holding each other accountable, and specific instances you saw translate to the floor tonight?

DAVIS: “Well I think it did translate from a defensive standpoint, as I said before we held them to 26 percent from the field. Our response to us defensively I was in favor of, as I said before from how we played defense over the weekend, what was our response going to be? From a defensive standpoint, I thought it was great. One of the things that I talk to the guys about is what it means to play at this place.

“What it means to put on this uniform and run out of the tunnel and be a part of this university and this program. And what it means not only to them but their families, former players, for the university and for this community. I was really happy with the response. We didn’t play well on the offensive end, you talked about the turnovers. We missed layups and shots we normally make. But I do like our response, I think for the most part our guys were stunned.

“They were stunned after this weekend. One of the things that is interesting, my dad said this to me today and for whatever reason, I never thought about it, but as good as we are, we are not that experienced. RJ (Davis) and Caleb (Love), and Kerwin (Walton) are sophomores. Dawson (Garcia) is only a sophomore. Armando is a junior but these last couple of years haven’t been Carolina basketball.

“So, none of our guys have experienced those stories, those memories, those testimonies that I have (and) Coach May, Coach Fredrick, Coach Sullivan, and Coach Lebo. I think they were a little shocked about what happened this weekend. In a good way, it’s going to hold us accountable and move us in the right direction. I believe it moved us in the right direction today.”

Q: Tonight you held a 20 point lead early, and they had a 23-10 run and you guys ended up winning by 19. What allowing teams to hang around after you get them down early.

DAVIS: “One of the things we have talked about is sustaining the type of effort we need to have on both ends of the floor for the entire game. We really haven’t put a full 40 minutes together. We’ve had spots we have had halves. In order to have the ability to achieve the things that we want and our goals as a team, we are going to have to put a full game together. Those are the things we are continuing to work on, those are things that will come. It’s only game six, and so very few teams if any are settled right now in game six. But we are improving, we are getting better, and I like where our team is and I like where our team is going to be at the end of the year.”

Q: Why do you think that hasn’t happened yet because the team is still trying to get settled?

DAVIS: “No, I’m just not panicking because it’s the sixth game. That’s the only reason.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.