ADVERTISEMENT

Coronavirus

It is beginning to be a bigger threat it seems, worldwide. I still don't see it nearly rising to the level of the number of deaths from other strains of flu virus in US (tens of thousands) and worldwide (100,000+??) each year.

I believe the unfortunate thing is: the coronavirus would likely be closer to being contained / under control, if Chinese government authorities had been open and honest about the outbreak originally, and had accepted help from other countries offering help in testing, quarantine plans, etc.

But China (and now Japan it seems) wants to keep secret anything about the coronavirus and its magnitude. They want to give off the impression that they have everything 100% under control, and that they don't need help from another country or government. They have to maintain this façade image of all-powerful, all-knowing, with no hint of weakness or a need for assistance.

report i heard said china is under reporting deaths...even possibly burying hundreds of people a day.

you guys should see all of the reorganizing going on just for the olympics...i’d be out on that, no way.

sorry @Heelicious about your planned marathon.

Reactions: Heelicious
report i heard said china is under reporting deaths...even possibly burying hundreds of people a day.

you guys should see all of the reorganizing going on just for the olympics...i’d be out on that, no way.

sorry @Heelicious about your planned marathon.
Thanks, @gteeitup
Wow - I have no doubt they are underreporting the severity of the issue....but burying hundreds of people a day - wow - that is crazy!

Regardless of an American's political or cultural or religious beliefs (or lack thereof....) the more you know about the Chinese government and power structure, and its totalitarian brutal abuse and torture of some classes and demographics of its citizens....the more appalling and sickening and disturbing it is. It makes me wish we had almost nothing to do with the Chinese government, leaders and large corporations.

But lots of companies and persons make a ton of money dealing with the Chinese (including the NBA / LeBron and company)…. and the almighty dollar trumps any semblance of moral conscience.....

I hope they get the coronavirus under control soon. I just doubt it will be via a method where the Chinese use all the international plans, knowledge, experience that is readily available to them.... their refusal to acknowledge and accept help is very disturbing. Could cost thousands of lives.....quite expendible in the totalitarian Chinese governmnents eyes.

(PS - I know its a tricky issue diplomacy-wise - but DJT should be ashamed, harshly criticized for how he acts like the Chinese govt and leaders are legit high integrity, good leaders, worthy of Chinese citizens and American leaders' and citizens' respect and allegiance) .

Sorry for the thread tangent / derail.

Reactions: gteeitup
It is beginning to be a bigger threat it seems, worldwide. I still don't see it nearly rising to the level of the number of deaths from other strains of flu virus in US (tens of thousands) and worldwide (100,000+??) each year.

I believe the unfortunate thing is: the coronavirus would likely be closer to being contained / under control, if Chinese government authorities had been open and honest about the outbreak originally, and had accepted help from other countries offering help in testing, quarantine plans, etc.

But China (and now Japan it seems) wants to keep secret anything about the coronavirus and its magnitude. They want to give off the impression that they have everything 100% under control, and that they don't need help from another country or government. They have to maintain this façade image of all-powerful, all-knowing, with no hint of weakness or a need for assistance.
You don't think a virus with a CFR of 2.2 to 3.1 that has a n0 estimated of 2.6 to 6.1 that can reinfect, cause lasting damage even if you recover, can spread when asymptomatic, can incubate for up to 27 days, and possibly can spread via airborne droplets as well as contact will rise to the level of a .1 CFR flu that we have vaccines for some strains of?

You are dreaming. The only chance was to contain it from the start. Containment has broken. If Japan doesn't cancel the Olympics this year it would be astronomically insane.

You don't think a virus with a CFR of 2.2 to 3.1 that has a n0 estimated of 2.6 to 6.1 that can reinfect, cause lasting damage even if you recover, can spread when asymptomatic, can incubate for up to 27 days, and possibly can spread via airborne droplets as well as contact will rise to the level of a .1 CFR flu that we have vaccines for some strains of?

You are dreaming. The only chance was to contain it from the start. Containment has broken. If Japan doesn't cancel the Olympics this year it would be astronomically insane.

14608107_1180665285312703_1558693314_n.jpg

Aren’t u like a thousand times more likely to contract and die from the flu?

Well ya, you're much more likely to get the flu. And many more people die from the flu than from coronavirus. However, if you get coronavirus, you're much more likely to die from it than from the flu (i.e. it has a higher mortality rate).

But similar to the flu, the death risk primarily lies with the "at risk" population, so the really old, really young, and those that are already sick or have immune system issues already.

Thank you for linking an opinion article from the New York Post. It contains such illuminating rhetoric as:
  • "It sure sounds like China has a problem keeping dangerous pathogens in test tubes where they belong, doesn’t it?"
  • "And this [lab] is located in the Chinese city of Wuhan that just happens to be … the epicenter of the epidemic."
  • "Does that suggest to you that the novel coronavirus, now known as SARS-CoV-2, may have escaped from that very lab....?"
And of course my favorite:
  • Both “man-made” epidemics were quickly contained, but neither would have happened at all if proper safety precautions had been taken.
Note that the author has reached a conclusion based purely on conjecture, which might be why he put "man-made" in quotation marks. And who is the author? A man named Steven W. Mosher, who is a social scientist, not a natural scientist with a background in epidemiology, pathology, public health, etc. Wikipedia describes Mosher as an "anti-abortion activist and author who specializes in anthropology, demography and Chinese population control. He is the president of the Population Research Institute (PRI), an advocate for human rights in China, and has been instrumental in exposing abuses in China's one-child policy." He also got expelled from Stanford for "illegal and unethical conduct." The guy obviously has an axe to grind and no relevant expertise, but you're welcome to agree with his opinion if you'd like.

As for me, I'll stick with the 27 public health scientists from nine different countries who have strongly condemned conspiracy theories about the origin of the disease via The Lancet, one of the oldest and most prestigious peer-reviewed medical journals in the world. "We stand together to strongly condemn conspiracy theories suggesting that COVID-19 does not have a natural origin. Scientists from multiple countries have published and analysed genomes of the causative agent, severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2), and they overwhelmingly conclude that this coronavirus originated in wildlife, as have so many other emerging pathogens. This is further supported by a letter from the presidents of the US National Academies of Science, Engineering, and Medicine and by the scientific communities they represent."

Thank you for linking an opinion article from the New York Post. It contains such illuminating rhetoric as:
  • "It sure sounds like China has a problem keeping dangerous pathogens in test tubes where they belong, doesn’t it?"
  • "And this [lab] is located in the Chinese city of Wuhan that just happens to be … the epicenter of the epidemic."
  • "Does that suggest to you that the novel coronavirus, now known as SARS-CoV-2, may have escaped from that very lab....?"
And of course my favorite:
  • Both “man-made” epidemics were quickly contained, but neither would have happened at all if proper safety precautions had been taken.
Note that the author has reached a conclusion based purely on conjecture, which might be why he put "man-made" in quotation marks. And who is the author? A man named Steven W. Mosher, who is a social scientist, not a natural scientist with a background in epidemiology, pathology, public health, etc. Wikipedia describes Mosher as an "anti-abortion activist and author who specializes in anthropology, demography and Chinese population control. He is the president of the Population Research Institute (PRI), an advocate for human rights in China, and has been instrumental in exposing abuses in China's one-child policy." He also got expelled from Stanford for "illegal and unethical conduct." The guy obviously has an axe to grind and no relevant expertise, but you're welcome to agree with his opinion if you'd like.

As for me, I'll stick with the 27 public health scientists from nine different countries who have strongly condemned conspiracy theories about the origin of the disease via The Lancet, one of the oldest and most prestigious peer-reviewed medical journals in the world. "We stand together to strongly condemn conspiracy theories suggesting that COVID-19 does not have a natural origin. Scientists from multiple countries have published and analysed genomes of the causative agent, severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2), and they overwhelmingly conclude that this coronavirus originated in wildlife, as have so many other emerging pathogens. This is further supported by a letter from the presidents of the US National Academies of Science, Engineering, and Medicine and by the scientific communities they represent."

giphy.gif

Thanks, @gteeitup
Wow - I have no doubt they are underreporting the severity of the issue....but burying hundreds of people a day - wow - that is crazy!

Regardless of an American's political or cultural or religious beliefs (or lack thereof....) the more you know about the Chinese government and power structure, and its totalitarian brutal abuse and torture of some classes and demographics of its citizens....the more appalling and sickening and disturbing it is. It makes me wish we had almost nothing to do with the Chinese government, leaders and large corporations.

But lots of companies and persons make a ton of money dealing with the Chinese (including the NBA / LeBron and company)…. and the almighty dollar trumps any semblance of moral conscience.....

I hope they get the coronavirus under control soon. I just doubt it will be via a method where the Chinese use all the international plans, knowledge, experience that is readily available to them.... their refusal to acknowledge and accept help is very disturbing. Could cost thousands of lives.....quite expendible in the totalitarian Chinese governmnents eyes.

(PS - I know its a tricky issue diplomacy-wise - but DJT should be ashamed, harshly criticized for how he acts like the Chinese govt and leaders are legit high integrity, good leaders, worthy of Chinese citizens and American leaders' and citizens' respect and allegiance) .

Sorry for the thread tangent / derail.

I've come to realize that most of my distrust of China (the country, not the people) dates back to the old Sid Meier's computer game, Civilization. China's ruler would double-cross me every chance he got. Come to think of it, Gandhi was pretty sneaky and conniving in that game as well...

It's all just a hoax anyway...
I know that's not true, of course. But, it just seems like people are acting as if it's some kind of aggressive gangrene that kills you within 24 hours. Coincidentally, its path is remarkably like the original Black Plague path in the 14th century.

The more I read the more it’s evident no one seems to really know how big of a threat it is. There wont be a vaccine til this summer. Seems to me the threat is it getting in a nursing home or kids daycare and wreaking havoc.

Sharing some news y'all might find useful.

The 5 Biggest Coronavirus Myths

Key takeaways:
  • To date, there's no known preventive treatment for the new coronavirus. Nothing you spray on yourself or ingest will help. However, WHO notes that there is evidence that chemical disinfectants, such as those containing bleach or chlorine, can kill SARS-CoV2 on surfaces.
  • Both CDC and WHO say there is no evidence suggesting that companion animals, such as dogs and cats, can be a source of infection for humans.
  • Research published Monday in JAMA [Journal of the American Medical Association] suggests the mortality rate for SARS-CoV2 currently is around 2%—though researchers noted that rate fluctuates based on patient population. For instance, the case fatality rate was 0% among children ages 9 and younger, 8% among patients ages 70 to 79, and 14.8% for patients over age 80.

CDC Interim Guidance for Healthcare Professionals

The CDC has issued interim guidance for evaluating and reporting people who might have the virus. They've identified five "Geographic Areas with Sustained Transmission (Community or Widespread)" where residents and travelers have increased possibility for infection:
  • China
  • Iran
  • Italy
  • Japan
  • South Korea
That list is a little scary because I know @UNC71-00 was just in Italy and my nephew was in Japan for a couple weeks after Christmas, after he returned in August from a year of studying abroad there.

Reactions: heelmanwilm
It’s irresponsible to suggest that the removal of the testing statistics is a “coverup.” It’s likely related to problems with the test developed by the CDC that has yet to be implemented by most public health laboratories. Criticize them for ineptitude if you’d like, but don’t ascribe it to bad intent. That’s unfounded and sounds like partisan nonsense.

perhaps, but knowing that information is okay...i’m not sure who the guy is, but his followers are replying as if the current administration is purposely controlling the release of news...my point for posting is to post all info.

perhaps, but knowing that information is okay...i’m not sure who the guy is, but his followers are replying as if the current administration is purposely controlling the release of news...my point for posting is to post all info.
Has there ever been a government anywhere in the history of the world that didn't control the release of news? Or at least try to? This just seems like one of those little things that's complaining just to complain. Plenty of legit reasons to go after this administration.

Reactions: gteeitup
Has there ever been a government anywhere in the history of the world that didn't control the release of news? Or at least try to? This just seems like one of those little things that's complaining just to complain. Plenty of legit reasons to go after this administration.

are you asking or telling?...how tf do i know.

just thought it belonged in this thread...just like wearing masks does nothing, it’s not as serious as what seem to believe, and the olympics should be in doubt.

Washington up to 9 reported deaths. Two cases reported in New York. Hide yo kids, hide yo wife.

Interesting that if you Google coronavirus now, the top results are from WHO, CDC, and state Health Departments. This is a good thing IMO.

Reactions: heelmanwilm
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT