ADVERTISEMENT

Coronavirus

My personal feelings about the shot set aside, that's not really true, is it? Unless you mean literally hold them down and inject them. If a person works for a company, has a few more years before they can retire or it vests, and the employer is now required to have that employee get vaxed or be fined, they are not going to be retained as it will surely then be against company policy. Is that really a choice for that individual and you can seriously say they are not being forced to get the vax?
People who refuse the vaccine can’t expect the same freedoms as people who do. Period.

200px-Homer%27s_Muumuu.png
That's when Homer gained even more weight. The muumuu.

Reactions: tarheel0910
Why do you believe that?
For the same reason I don’t think people who are drunk have the same freedom to drive a car as sober people. They have the right to be drunk but they don’t have the right to drive while they are.

People who are employed by companies that are now requiring vaccinations for employees to remain on the payroll have to make a choice. They're not being forced to take the vaccine, however. . . . .
I don't, personally, understand why this is seen as some high-risk situation.
People who refuse the vaccine can’t expect the same freedoms as people who do. Period.
You guys need to back off the ledge every now and then so that you have the ability to focus on the issue being addressed rather than only and always turn everything back to your issue of the moment. And note, my post specifically set my personal feelings about the shot aside.

My response was addressing strum's assertion that no one was being forced to get the vaccine. I acknowledged that no one was being physically held down and injected, so technically it is a "choice" in the absolute strained definition of the word. However, the methods being utilized and implemented by our president are tantamount to giving someone no choice, i.e. forcing them to get the shot. As such, stating or arguing that no one is being forced to get the vax is disingenuous at best, but really it is just a false statement.

Taking someone's lifelong education, lifelong job experience, lifelong support of themselves and their family, lifelong professional qualifications, lifelong ability to support their lifestyle, and access to relatively affordable healthcare at a later life stage AND only then telling them they have a "choice" of doing something or throwing all that other stuff away is really no choice at all. It is forcing someone, in practical terms, to get the vax and leaving them with no choice.

Keep lying to yourselves and telling everyone else who will listen that these mandates don't represent the federal government forcing people to get the shots. But ask yourself why the president and his team settled on this tactic if it wasn't going to force people to get it? You can't have it both ways. For most of the people subject to the mandates, there really is no choice at all.

Reactions: uncfootball-
You guys need to back off the ledge every now and then so that you have the ability to focus on the issue being addressed rather than only and always turn everything back to your issue of the moment. And note, my post specifically set my personal feelings about the shot aside.

My response was addressing strum's assertion that no one was being forced to get the vaccine. I acknowledged that no one was being physically held down and injected, so technically it is a "choice" in the absolute strained definition of the word. However, the methods being utilized and implemented by our president are tantamount to giving someone no choice, i.e. forcing them to get the shot. As such, stating or arguing that no one is being forced to get the vax is disingenuous at best, but really it is just a false statement.

Taking someone's lifelong education, lifelong job experience, lifelong support of themselves and their family, lifelong professional qualifications, lifelong ability to support their lifestyle, and access to relatively affordable healthcare at a later life stage AND only then telling them they have a "choice" of doing something or throwing all that other stuff away is really no choice at all. It is forcing someone, in practical terms, to get the vax and leaving them with no choice.

Keep lying to yourselves and telling everyone else who will listen that these mandates don't represent the federal government forcing people to get the shots. But ask yourself why the president and his team settled on this tactic if it wasn't going to force people to get it? You can't have it both ways. For most of the people subject to the mandates, there really is no choice at all.

Then you have people like Gomer prlyles comparing driving drunk to vaccines. Awesome.

Reactions: toophly1124

Funny how all those people chiming in know more about her situation than she does. What a bunch of jackoffs.
It's not that they know more about "her" situation. It's THE situation, in general, that her comments reveal to be misguided. Read the link! She's taking a bigger risk with a pregnancy by not being vaccinated.

Reactions: blazers
It's not that they know more about "her" situation. It's THE situation, in general, that her comments reveal to be misguided. Read the link! She's taking a bigger risk with a pregnancy by not being vaccinated.

Can you list the medical history for Allison Williams. I would like to read about it.

Can you list the medical history for Allison Williams. I would like to read about it.
Got a question for you now. What is your thought process that your health risks by taking the vaccine is greater than your health risks by not taking it?

Of course not. But, she is the one that chose to make this formal public statement to the world about her "regrets" for not being able to do her job. Don't be surprised when medical experts go public with their assertions that the Covid-19 Vaccine is not a threat to women who are trying to get pregnant. It's not a threat of any kind, to anyone, especially from a broad perspective.

Since we are dealing with the worst pandemic in a century, that has killed almost 700,000 Americans in 18 months, it's important to put things into perspective, now that we have vaccines. No one is forcing her to get vaccinated. No one is being forced to get vaccinated anywhere in the USA. But, since we do have a vaccine, there will continue to be more efforts to get as many people vaccinated as possible. I realize that some people are hesitant. It's a shame that they base their decision on a political preference. I know of at least 6 people- well, 5, since one died of Covid last week- personally, who won't get the vaccine because of their political beliefs.

Got a question for you now. What is your thought process that your health risks by taking the vaccine is greater than your health risks by not taking it?

I dont blame anyone for taking the vaccine if they feel it is best for them with their medical situation. Hope they have no issues and live to be a 110 years old.

I dont blame anyone for not taking the vaccine due to their medical situation or if they are concerned about the long term ( years) effect of the vaccine. Hope they have no issues and live to be a 110 years old.

"Don't be surprised . . ."
That sounds almost like the last prediction you made here years ago, Strum, when you told us the days of organized football are numbered due to the violent nature of the game. And yet last night at high schools across America, as well as today at colleges and universities all over the land, and tomorrow in NFL venues across the league, stadiums will be packed with rabid fans (except maybe in Derm).

If you were a weatherman, the forecast every day would be 100% chance of rain.

Of course not. But, she is the one that chose to make this formal public statement to the world about her "regrets" for not being able to do her job. Don't be surprised when medical experts go public with their assertions that the Covid-19 Vaccine is not a threat to women who are trying to get pregnant. It's not a threat of any kind, to anyone, especially from a broad perspective.

Since we are dealing with the worst pandemic in a century, that has killed almost 700,000 Americans in 18 months, it's important to put things into perspective, now that we have vaccines. No one is forcing her to get vaccinated. No one is being forced to get vaccinated anywhere in the USA. But, since we do have a vaccine, there will continue to be more efforts to get as many people vaccinated as possible. I realize that some people are hesitant. It's a shame that they base their decision on a political preference. I know of at least 6 people- well, 5, since one died of Covid last week- personally, who won't get the vaccine because of their political beliefs.

So it is about "her" situation.

That sounds almost like the last prediction you made here years ago, Strum, when you told us the days of organized football are numbered due to the violent nature of the game. And yet last night at high schools across America, as well as today at colleges and universities all over the land, and tomorrow in NFL venues across the league, stadiums will be packed with rabid fans (except maybe in Derm).

If you were a weatherman, the forecast every day would be 100% chance of rain.
It will, eventually. Younger kids are no longer playing in organized leagues. Thanks for participating in the covid-19 thread.

I dont blame anyone for taking the vaccine if they feel it is best for them with their medical situation. Hope they have no issues and live to be a 110 years old.

I dont blame anyone for not taking the vaccine due to their medical situation or if they are concerned about the long term ( years) effect of the vaccine. Hope they have no issues and live to be a 110 years old.
Well that’s not what I asked but thanks anyway. I truely want to know why people are not taking the vaccine. Why do they think their health risks are less by not taking it.

Well that’s not what I asked but thanks anyway. I truely want to know why people are not taking the vaccine. Why do they think their health risks are less by not taking it.

Well what I am saying is I dont value one way over the other. I think it depends on the person. What I am reading now by the experts (not random blowhards on social media) is the vaccines are losing their effectiveness. So as time passes it SEEMS that a vaccinated person is in no better shape than a non vaxxed person.

Well what I am saying is I dont value one way over the other. I think it depends on the person. What I am reading now by the experts (not random blowhards on social media) is the vaccines are losing their effectiveness. So as time passes it SEEMS that a vaccinated person is in no better shape than a non vaxxed person. And
OK, but they are in better shape, plus they can always get a booster shot like the flu.. Unvaccinated people are dropping like flies aroundnd here and I just can’t understand why.

I truely want to know why people are not taking the vaccine. Why do they think their health risks are less by not taking it.
Well, first, I would say that you shouldn't make the initial assumption that people are pro vax or even neutral on anything. If you were to look at things before covid, there is a sizable chunk of people who are anti vax, anti doctor, anti preventative health, etc. They were that way before and you're not suddenly gonna change these people just because of covid. Or at best, they are ambivalent. They only go to the doctor/er when they absolutely have to and they certainly don't do it in advance.

Second, the instant covid happened and solutions were proposed/implemented - be it arguing over stupid stuff like naming it after China or the development and implementation of a vax, it went political. You had our country's largest political party, the vast majority of media and all of social media go into attack mode on every single aspect that could be taken advantage of because they had an election to win. The orange menace devil had to be defeated regardless of cost, responsibility to country, or moral deviance. That single solitary end justified any means necessary. That's not a speed boat you just turn on a dime. It's an aircraft carrier and it's still getting turned. As such, the vax and any groundswell for it's credibility was vastly undercut.

Third, whether it's ever happened or not (can't say since I've never researched it), people's perception is that this vax was unparalleled in the speed of it's development. Joe six pack isn't going to get into following that the research of this type of vax has been going on since aids first appeared and they applied the sequencing which allowed its rollout. Regardless, it is perceived as super fast which undercuts trust on effectiveness and side effects. And frankly, while it's not thought to have long term issues, we aren't truly going to know until we've had the vax around long enough to constitute "long term".

Fourth is today's impact of social media. Insanely, people see vines, fakebook, twits, tictacs, snaps, etc. and that's their news. Literally, that's not only a source, it's THE only source. They saw it on the internet. It was posted, so it must be true. Even our own strum posted the other day a known "fact" about the percentages of vaxxed people in our country because he saw it in a YouTube clip of a monologue by Colbert on his comedy show. And, anyone wonders how inaccuracies get started, spread and perpetuated. Just remember, when other major stuff was getting attacked, our only sources of info were our doctors, Walter Cronkite types and trusted members of the community like clergy.

Lastly, there is all the flip flopping from know it all's and the government distrust that exists. His Highness Fauci is the embodiment of this phenomenon. Think about the old joke about the world's three biggest lies, one of which is "I'm from the government and I'm here to help".

Those are at least five reasons to answer your question, certainly not all of them. Sorry for the length, but you asked and the coffee has kicked in.

Well, first, I would say that you shouldn't make the initial assumption that people are pro vax or even neutral on anything. If you were to look at things before covid, there is a sizable chunk of people who are anti vax, anti doctor, anti preventative health, etc. They were that way before and you're not suddenly gonna change these people just because of covid. Or at best, they are ambivalent. They only go to the doctor/er when they absolutely have to and they certainly don't do it in advance.

Second, the instant covid happened and solutions were proposed/implemented - be it arguing over stupid stuff like naming it after China or the development and implementation of a vax, it went political. You had our country's largest political party, the vast majority of media and all of social media go into attack mode on every single aspect that could be taken advantage of because they had an election to win. The orange menace devil had to be defeated regardless of cost, responsibility to country, or moral deviance. That single solitary end justified any means necessary. That's not a speed boat you just turn on a dime. It's an aircraft carrier and it's still getting turned. As such, the vax and any groundswell for it's credibility was vastly undercut.

Third, whether it's ever happened or not (can't say since I've never researched it), people's perception is that this vax was unparalleled in the speed of it's development. Joe six pack isn't going to get into following that the research of this type of vax has been going on since aids first appeared and they applied the sequencing which allowed its rollout. Regardless, it is perceived as super fast which undercuts trust on effectiveness and side effects. And frankly, while it's not thought to have long term issues, we aren't truly going to know until we've had the vax around long enough to constitute "long term".

Fourth is today's impact of social media. Insanely, people see vines, fakebook, twits, tictacs, snaps, etc. and that's their news. Literally, that's not only a source, it's THE only source. They saw it on the internet. It was posted, so it must be true. Even our own strum posted the other day a known "fact" about the percentages of vaxxed people in our country because he saw it in a YouTube clip of a monologue by Colbert on his comedy show. And, anyone wonders how inaccuracies get started, spread and perpetuated. Just remember, when other major stuff was getting attacked, our only sources of info were our doctors, Walter Cronkite types and trusted members of the community like clergy.

Lastly, there is all the flip flopping from know it all's and the government distrust that exists. His Highness Fauci is the embodiment of this phenomenon. Think about the old joke about the world's three biggest lies, one of which is "I'm from the government and I'm here to help".

Those are at least five reasons to answer your question, certainly not all of them. Sorry for the length, but you asked and the coffee has kicked in.
I agree with a lot of what you’re saying, I still don’t understand people risking their health.

It will, eventually. Younger kids are no longer playing in organized leagues. Thanks for participating in the covid-19 thread.
I think we can all use the distraction from the Trump virus now and then, eh?

As for the subject at hand, it seems that you and Bob Cook, the author of that piece, have a fundamental misunderstanding of the demographics at play. Sure, in the mostly white, middle class suburbs the kids are turning more and more to soccer, the safer sport. But in the predominantly black neighborhoods, where the parents and kids are much more fearless, that is where the majority of talent that feeds high schools and universities and ultimately the NFL comes from, and has been coming from since the unjust laws of segregation were removed in the 1960s and '70s.

• Haha
Reactions: strummingram
Isn’t dumb if it’s true. Didn’t peg you for an anti vaxer. That BOA job may not be there for you in a few months if you keep refusing.
I've listed my reasons why I haven't taken the rona vaccine. Those don't make me anti vaccine. I've got all my other vaccines and my kids have all of theirs. I've also never said that there's no way I would ever get it. If my concerns go away, then I would get it if rona is still a big thing. But I suspect you know all of this (since I've posted it before). You're just being obtuse about it or don't understand what the term anti vaxxer means.

Reactions: toophly1124
You can laugh all you want, Strum, but you cannot defend your insipid argument.

If they can manage to obscure the brain trauma and long term brain injury, then, yeah, it will stay around a while longer. It's not going to happen overnight. But, it is declining.

Getting vaccines for your kids is a big deal. It's not something a parent should just hop on board with. Personally, my kids have gotten some recommended and haven't gotten others. I encourage parents to be as informed as you can be about all vaccines and don't just inject something into your kids because a doctor that barely knows your family told you to do it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT