ADVERTISEMENT

Cutting the Cable - Ditching direct TV

ROYANDDEAN

Senior
Feb 19, 2004
I am so tired of my monthy bill from DirectTV going up up and away.

I am thinking about ditching it all together buying a couple smart TVs or blue ray players with WIFI and just buying subscriptions to NETFLIX - HULU and others. Here is the thing though - if I do that then how do I make sure I can watch the Heels and Panthers play every game.

I found an article that kinda outlines all the ways you can do this but watching live sports has been my only holdback.

Has anyone else made the move that may have an idea of what I may be getting into.

This post was edited on 2/11 10:41 AM by ROYANDDEAN

This post was edited on 2/11 10:41 AM by ROYANDDEAN

This post was edited on 2/11 10:42 AM by ROYANDDEAN

cable hacks

Too much hassle. Just call DirecTV and b*tch and moan until they lower your bill. My parents have had DirecTV for years and whenever they try to raise the bill, my mother calls and gives them hell until they give in.

They've gotten the Sunday Ticket package for free for like 6 straight years thanks to her lol.

hell ive been on the phone with direct TV a few times and they always ask me what price I have in mind and they try to get me to lower my channel lineup, get rid of boxes etc.

I am almost at the point of just doing it because they have pissed me off.

If you have a close friend or family member who has ESPN and who will give you the password to their cable account, you can stream virtually every college game through espn3.com and the watchespn app. The main downside is you lose the ability to DVR a game.

Heels I have the ESPN password so I am good there :)

Here is what I think I need to do to make it happen

tell directTV to take a hike
get an HD antenna for local channels
continue Netflix
start a hulu account
continue amazon prime
get a smart TV that I can to to websites on or use applications to watch TV from the web.

I just have to figure out how to watch the heels play. Can you watch all the games via goheelstv?

This post was edited on 2/11 11:29 AM by ROYANDDEAN

Originally posted by ROYANDDEAN:
I just have to figure out how to watch the heels play. Can you watch all the games via goheelstv?
Looks like all the basketball games are on GoHeelsTV, but not all the football games.

Also, be careful about relying on the Watch ESPN app/ESPN3. I live in Charlotte, too, and some of the games get blacked out here. Don't you have to have a participating internet service provider to watch ESPN online, though?

I have my brothers Time Warner password for ESPN 3 so I am good on that.

Hell im going to call Directv and tell them I cancel my service and see where it goes from there.

Just did this and it sounds like you're in pretty much the same place I was. So far I've been able to see all the games I've wanted to on either WatchESPN or goheels. Also if you're on cable Internet you can split the coax off to your TV and there will be a signal for many channels. It's a low quality feed so an HD antenna is a better bet for the major networks if you're in an area where you can get good signals.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by ROYANDDEAN:
hell ive been on the phone with direct TV a few times and they always ask me what price I have in mind and they try to get me to lower my channel lineup, get rid of boxes etc.

I am almost at the point of just doing it because they have pissed me off.
I called Time warner to get the best deal they would give a Directv costumer who would switch to Time Warner. Then called Directv and threatened to switch and got about 40 bucks knocked off and got Starz for free for a yr !

Yeah I went through that routine a couple times too. Finally decided that continually jacking up prices and expecting customers to call every few months to beg for a lower rate shows zero respect for the very customers who are paying so much for their service.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

I'm gunslingerdick and I have Direct TV.

229_stick_figure_man_sticker_decal.gif

And I'm Old Fuddy Duddy message board posting gunslingerdick and I have cable.

grumpy_old_stick_figure_man_0515-1103-1504-5046_SMU.jpg

Don't be like this me^^. Get Direct TV.

Originally posted by gunslingerdick:
I'm gunslingerdick and I have Direct TV.

229_stick_figure_man_sticker_decal.gif

And I'm Old Fuddy Duddy message board posting gunslingerdick and I have cable.

ec

Don't be like this me^^. Get Direct TV.
awesome. very creative.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT