ADVERTISEMENT

Davis Walking on Senior Night, But Might He Use the Covid Year?

The way the NBA has changed to give offensive players the advantage has resulted in ridiculous scoring numbers, especially from smaller guards.

RJ Davis has a lot of Kemba in his game. His height may suppress his draft stock, but I firmly believe he'll end up getting a contract in the NBA.

What are y'all's thoughts about the effect of RJ possibly coming back and the log jam at guard that it would create as it relates to Ian and Drake?

I've seen lots of talk about Drake being a three, but everyone's worry seems to be Ian. With EC, RJ, Seth and Ian, are there enough minutes to satisfy the stud freshman?

Man, with that back court and with Ingram, Washington, withers and a stud center from the portal, we would be rolling again!!!

What an excellent "problem" to have!

Consider: EC, RJ, Ingram, Withers, JWash. OR Seth, Ian, Drake, JWash, Withers or Portal 5! Or EC, Ian, Drake, Ingram, Withers. Combos are endless and all have merits!

Reactions: RP12 and Heels5150
I prefer to analyze what we see from the players on the court. Which is precisely what I did in my post. It's not positive or negative. It's just accurate.

Also he's not "very skilled." He has one skill - jumpshooting. His ball handling is not good. His passing is not good. He is really bad at setting screens, often falling down from the contact or getting called for an offensive foul. He honestly falls down more than anyone else on the team. I already pointed out his struggles on defense in the previous post, as well as the problems he continuously faces due to lack of muscle.

It really takes a very specific matchup for Hubert to be able to play him long minutes. UVA this year was one such matchup. They didn't have a bulky center who could bully him inside, or a big man who was a perimeter threat either; so Washington was able to play a lot without it hurting us on defense. Even when UVA put him in a ball screen and broke down our defense, they refused to take wide open shots early in the shot clock which allowed our defense to recover. But most teams aren't like UVA's current squad. In the very next game Miami had a bulky (yet very short) big man who easily pushed Washington under the basket whenever he wanted to, and that big man was also a 3pt threat (more and more common these days.) As a result we could barely even play Washington, even with Bacot's foul trouble. Most teams will simply but Washington into a ball screen, and it will completely break down our team defense leading to an open shot.

Hubert isn't dumb. He knows he's going to need a center that can be physical with the physical opponents, and be at least somewhat decent at defending perimeter actions. Washington's sophomore year game film tells the entire story. He's nowhere close to being that center. There is no way Hubert will risk the entire '24-'25 season by planning for Washington to be the starter. He'll go get a starting center in the portal. Washington is just going to have to work hard and try to win whatever minutes he can.
What you have stated is your subjective opinion. It is not accurate, as you stated, nor complimentary in any way.

Reactions: Archer2
What are y'all's thoughts about the effect of RJ possibly coming back and the log jam at guard that it would create as it relates to Ian and Drake?

I've seen lots of talk about Drake being a three, but everyone's worry seems to be Ian. With EC, RJ, Seth and Ian, are there enough minutes to satisfy the stud freshman?

Man, with that back court and with Ingram, Washington, withers and a stud center from the portal, we would be rolling again!!!
A Sophmore Cadeau to go along with a fifth year RJ is scary in itself. Now pitting them with Ian, Drake, Ingram, Washington, Seth, James Brown and like you said a possible top tier portal center is intriguing. I also have wondered why we didn’t try and recruit some more players out of the 24 class. If RJ came back along with Cadeau and Ingram and we didn’t lose anybody to transfers we will have 11 scholarships filled. RJ, Cadeau, Ian, Drake, Seth, Ingram, Washington, Withers, Brown, High and Okonkwo. Now if RJ comes back does Ian bounce like Simeon Wilcher did when Cadeau reclassified (Btw, nice move Simeon 🙄)? I hope not because that is a sick backcourt. Cadeau, RJ, Ian and Ingram would be my starters for sure. But does Withers and Okonkwo stay or go to another school to get more PT? With the Portal and NIL it will always be interesting. I do miss the days when recruits stayed at one school and they stayed at least 3 to 4 years. I always liked to see our players develop within our system and show their growth from year to year. Unfortunately, ( at least to me) those days are over. But as far as RJ goes one minute I think he stays and the next I think he goes. It will definitely be another interesting offseason that’s for sure.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS

If a bunch of the starters come back, isn't there a high likelihood that some of the bench guys will transfer? Isn't that just the general trend of college basketball? If Cadeau and RJ return and an incoming Ian Jackson, wouldn't Trimble be a transfer candidate? I would even think Washington is one depending on if there's a good big guy added.

Maybe it's just recency bias... But I just work under the assumption most teams will see a fair amount of turnover whether their starters return or not.

We're not going to have everyone back (who can come back) and add 2 top-15 guys.

I guess the counter to that is Duke this year. They basically brought back everyone who didn't go to the NBA right? And Filipowski returned. So maybe I'm wrong. But I'll be skeptical it will be as easy as everyone returning, plus adding two high end recruits.

My guess is that Hubert will be "actively" seeking a portal 5 that can be a starter. In addition, he may also be looking for portal shooter even if RG comes back. Hopefully Cadeau can significantly improve his outside shooting. Despite the athleticism of Drake and Ian, I doubt Hubert will lean on either of them (initially) to win us games with their outside shooting. My quess is that Hubert brings in a potent outside shooter that can either start (if RJ leaves) or fit in the regular rotation. Then add a portal 5 that can be starter. Would love to get PJ Hall (5th year, but that is a pipe dream. I expect Drake and Ian to get a lot of minutes, but just like Cadeau, Hubert may bring them along slowly. Just my read on things.

Last edited:
it would help a great deal if Ingram came back.
Yes, indeed.

Obviously RJ and Ingram can go pro if they want to. If they do, I imagine Harrison will be drafted in the 2nd round. RJ might go undrafted, but will probably be picked up anyway. At some point fairly soon, I expect RJ will be in Europe, and will do quite well.

Of course either or both could return. RJ has been one of my favorite players, so naturally I would welcome him back. Harrison is also very likeable, and could become a favorite, too, if he sticks around.

The problem for each of those players is what more can they learn or prove by sticking around?

Yup. Tiny but everyone is fast, agile, and will be hard to guard. I would expect to not really see this lineup for extended periods, but it would be fun in transition!

How about: EC, RJ, Ingram, JWash, JWit? But I honestly don't think there is much of a chance we will get both Ingram and RJ back. I think both test the waters and we get one back at best. My money is on RJ returning since he makes more now than a 2-way. Now if we add a portal 5 then all bets are off!

Last edited:
If a bunch of the starters come back, isn't there a high likelihood that some of the bench guys will transfer?
Washington, Trimble and High are eligible to transfer, I think. RJ, too, but that's hard to imagine.

Trimble didn't transfer last summer and is doing better now. If RJ leaves he might start next year. Seems unlikely he would leave now. If RJ stays, will Seth be able to out-compete Ian and Drake for PT?

The only reason I can see for Washington to transfer is if it's somehow determined that he's never going to have the stamina or put on enough muscle to be a starter here. Because otherwise he's a lock to start, imo.

The other possible transfer is Zaden High. No reason to think he wants to leave, but he got less PT down the stretch. Does that mean Hubert doesn't value him, or is it more a matter that he needs to work hard in the off season. He looked pretty good early this season, for a freshman.

Unless the rules changed again while I was napping, Okonkwo, Withers and Ingram aren't eligible for a "free" transfer.

Harrison should test the waters, and could leave, but I sort of expect him back.

Armando, Cormac and Paxson are done.

Unless the rules changed again while I was napping, Okonkwo, Withers and Ingram aren't eligible for a "free" transfer.
Due to an anti-trust lawsuit the NCAA "temporarily" threw out its rules and made all multi-time transfers eligible midseason. It's possible that any player will be eligible after numerous transfers by simply threatening an anti-trust lawsuit moving forward.

Yes, indeed.

Obviously RJ and Ingram can go pro if they want to. If they do, I imagine Harrison will be drafted in the 2nd round. RJ might go undrafted, but will probably be picked up anyway. At some point fairly soon, I expect RJ will be in Europe, and will do quite well.

Of course either or both could return. RJ has been one of my favorite players, so naturally I would welcome him back. Harrison is also very likeable, and could become a favorite, too, if he sticks around.

The problem for each of those players is what more can they learn or prove by sticking around?
Isn't it likely that with NIL both RJ as well as Harrison could make more money next year playing college ball and enjoying the Carolina coeds? Seems like both winners to me. I can't imagine giving up money so that I can travel back and forth to the G league or worse yet travel Europe for a living rather than partying on Franklin Street with the Tar Heel cheerleaders.

Isn't it likely that with NIL both RJ as well as Harrison could make more money next year playing college ball and enjoying the Carolina coeds? Seems like both winners to me. I can't imagine giving up money so that I can travel back and forth to the G league or worse yet travel Europe for a living rather than partying on Franklin Street with the Tar Heel cheerleaders.
The girls part of this is pretty irrelevant. They're basketball players. They're going to get their pick whether it's in Chapel Hill, a major US pro sports city, or in Europe.

Hubert isn't dumb. He knows he's going to need a center that can be physical with the physical opponents, and be at least somewhat decent at defending perimeter actions. Washington's sophomore year game film tells the entire story. He's nowhere close to being that center. There is no way Hubert will risk the entire '24-'25 season by planning for Washington to be the starter. He'll go get a starting center in the portal. Washington is just going to have to work hard and try to win whatever minutes he can.
No he isn't dumb but he also better be smart enough to know that a "bidding" war for a bigtime 5-man will be the norm every offseason unless he decides to develop "his guys".
Are we prepared to pay more $$$ than the other blue bloods and scum bags like Nate Oats?
Good freakin luck :oops:

No he isn't dumb but he also better be smart enough to know that a "bidding" war for a bigtime 5-man will be the norm every offseason unless he decides to develop "his guys".
Are we prepared to pay more $$$ than the other blue bloods and scum bags like Nate Oats?
Good freakin luck :oops:
Gotta pay for recruits, gotta pay to keep current players from leaving, gotta pay for transfers.

Good points. I wish I knew how lucrative and how demanding the NIL side is. I've seen sites that estimate a player's NIL value, but I have no idea if those sometimes-impressive numbers are what they actually get.

I also remember Armando being criticized a summer or 2 ago for doing too much NIL-related stuff and neglecting his conditioning and practices. So NIL has its demands, too.

I guess playing abroad could have similar commercial "distractions" but they would be getting paid to play first, and the rest is gravy - whereas now the "rest" is all they get, money-wise.

Is anyone here in a position to compare NIL with overseas pay? It would be interesting to sit in on a conversation where Marcus and RJ compare notes.

Due to an anti-trust lawsuit the NCAA "temporarily" threw out its rules and made all multi-time transfers eligible midseason. It's possible that any player will be eligible after numerous transfers by simply threatening an anti-trust lawsuit moving forward.
I didn't know that. Thanks. So anyone can transfer if they really want to.

I was thinking Withers and Okonkwo were safely ours - but maybe not.

Yup. Tiny but everyone is fast, agile, and will be hard to guard. I would expect to not really see this lineup for extended periods, but it would be fun in transition!

How about: EC, RJ, Ingram, JWash, JWit? But I honestly don't think there is much of a chance we will get both Ingram and RJ back. I think both test the waters and we get one back at best. My money is on RJ returning since he makes more now than a 2-way. Now if we add a portal 5 then all bets are off!
If Washington is a dominant big next year like you think he can be, then I'd be good with that 5.

Yes, indeed.

They could learn and prove that they can make more money next season at UNC with NIL than they would in a season of euro ball or second round NBA un-guaranteed contracts.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT