ADVERTISEMENT

Defense

MWHeels

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2008
I have read about how Coach Davis will make some changes to the offense. Has anyone heard anything about possible changes in defense? I would like to see our perimeter defense improve.

I think you will see us flatten out more up top, more switching on the high screens, more emphasis on staying with your man rather than funneling. Fewer easy to read traps but really working to use the sideline traps along with the side line itself. All that goes together to allow our defenders to not have to help as much and have time to either recover to the shooters or get in to the passing lanes, ball/you/man strongly taught. My hope is that we will have players learn at least 3 different positions responsibility so they can anticipate much better than I have seen lately. If a freshman can play well within a Tony Bennett defense then they can learn and execute better than we have seen for the last couple years.

With Hubert really focusing on hustle type of issues, hard work if you prefer, the defense should look better to the eye test. Hope we have seen the last of our teams that come out at the opening tip not really ready to play at a high level and then see what they can do in the second half.

Now me, I would love to see us pick up at least 3/4 court and give at times just token pressure and other times really hawk for the steal. Point is, make the opposing teams PG really work to get the ball past half court, make him take more time than he wants, that cuts down the time the have to execute their offense.

Oh, and did I mention, PLEASE put a zone package in and use it, rotating from man to zone adding in the traps.

The first thing that needs to happen (not a wish, it needs to happen) is attention to detail in the scouting report. One of my pet-peeves is when our defense is in rotation and we rotate to a sub-par 3-point shooter, then leave a good 3-point shooter open on the extra pass. In that situation, I hope we rotate to the good shooter and let the bad shooter shoot if they want to.

Stylistically, I hope we don't deny too hard on the wings and corners. We get beaten on backdoors due to that and then either give up layups or in a rotation possession. It's always confused me that strategy. I mean, we never force a ton of turnovers. What's the point of denying so hard?

I think we will switch more unless we completely change the way we coach the hedge. Our show/hedge defense under Roy was legitimately atrocious.

I've said the a million times. The best way to be a good 3-point defense is to allow fewer attempts. This is an exaggeration, but if teams shoot 50% from 3 against us, but attempt only 8/game, then I can careless about the percentage. We didn't get killed from 3. On the opposite end, if we allow like 12/40 from 3, that's 30% which is good. But allowing 12 makes probably hurts you significantly over the course of a game.

I disagree with pressing full court unless it's a special situation. I like it out of timeouts because the opposing team probably won't game plan for it. But don't like it over the course of a game because it offers more randomness. I feel in general, the more chaotic a game, it gives a lesser team a bigger chance.

Allow fewer 3-point attempts, don't give up layups, and don't send them to the free throw line. You'll likely be a good defensive team then.

Reactions: tarheel0910
I’d like to see us implement a system of constantly changing defenses. With the new transfer rules and the dependence upon freshmen, I believe a lot of teams will lack cohesion and would struggle setting up offensive strategies if they were facing different defenses multiple times during a game. I think we could run a really effective zone with Bacot in the middle on a 1-3-1. Might help him keep out of foul trouble too! Too often in the past, our man to man exposed a weak link which allowed less talented teams to hang with us.

I think you will see us flatten out more up top, more switching on the high screens, more emphasis on staying with your man rather than funneling. Fewer easy to read traps but really working to use the sideline traps along with the side line itself. All that goes together to allow our defenders to not have to help as much and have time to either recover to the shooters or get in to the passing lanes, ball/you/man strongly taught. My hope is that we will have players learn at least 3 different positions responsibility so they can anticipate much better than I have seen lately. If a freshman can play well within a Tony Bennett defense then they can learn and execute better than we have seen for the last couple years.

With Hubert really focusing on hustle type of issues, hard work if you prefer, the defense should look better to the eye test. Hope we have seen the last of our teams that come out at the opening tip not really ready to play at a high level and then see what they can do in the second half.

Now me, I would love to see us pick up at least 3/4 court and give at times just token pressure and other times really hawk for the steal. Point is, make the opposing teams PG really work to get the ball past half court, make him take more time than he wants, that cuts down the time the have to execute their offense.

Oh, and did I mention, PLEASE put a zone package in and use it, rotating from man to zone adding in the traps.
I think the majority of this is spot on buddy. At least, one can only hope.

I notice that Penn State's Abdou Tsimbila entered the portal. Low-ranked out of HS and didn't play much for Penn St as a freshman, but seems to be a good rebounder and might be an elite shot blocker. Said to be a good athlete with a decent motor, but a black hole on offense.

I'm guessing Hubert wouldn't want to spend a scholarship on Tsimbila, but if he's just looking for a backup center to protect the rim this coming season and someone who might get good in a few years, this kid could fit the bill.

I like kids with the good timing that his rebounding and shot blocking suggest.

My hope is that we will have players learn at least 3 different positions responsibility so they can anticipate much better than I have seen lately.
I like the idea, but for a few years now we seem to have had trouble with some of our guys learning even 1 position. Not sure that Hubert's first year as a HC is the time to expect this. If a bunch of our 2021-22 team stick around for the following season, that might be when to hope for what you suggest.

I notice that Penn State's Abdou Tsimbila entered the portal. Low-ranked out of HS and didn't play much for Penn St as a freshman, but seems to be a good rebounder and might be an elite shot blocker. Said to be a good athlete with a decent motor, but a black hole on offense.

I'm guessing Hubert wouldn't want to spend a scholarship on Tsimbila, but if he's just looking for a backup center to protect the rim this coming season and someone who might get good in a few years, this kid could fit the bill.

I like kids with the good timing that his rebounding and shot blocking suggest.
Very interesting stats for the young fellow. He plays five minutes or fewer, always gets a rebound, commits at least one foul, sometimes blocks a shot or scores

ADVERTISEMENT