ADVERTISEMENT

Did Davis ever interview for any head coaching jobs?

Mar 24, 2004
I met Davis several years ago when he spoke to the dads at the Father/Son Montross Basketball Camp.
He was very articulate and yet I remember his being disappointed that some players seemed to be auditioning for the NBA instead of playing team basketball.
I think he will do a good job once he gets his own players that will adhere to his system. He will make some changes and time will tell if they will work.
You will see more in game coaching than you saw with Roy.

Reactions: JimmyinVA
He is a good man who really values his family! We were on a plane one time while he was still on TV and his kids crawled all over him, lol! He has the patience of Job and will be able to handle the strain of this job!

Reactions: Tom79 and ltrogdon
I think he will continue to use a good bit of the same system that Roy and Dean used but will tweek it to fit what he wants to do. He stated multiple times on the College Gameday interview that we will walk the same path as Dean, Gut and Roy but in his own shoes. I'm sure he sat on the bench next to Roy many times and felt that he would have ran something different or made a different adjustment.

I met Davis several years ago when he spoke to the dads at the Father/Son Montross Basketball Camp.
He was very articulate and yet I remember his being disappointed that some players seemed to be auditioning for the NBA instead of playing team basketball.
I think he will do a good job once he gets his own players that will adhere to his system. He will make some changes and time will tell if they will work.
You will see more in game coaching than you saw with Roy.
Did you not expect him to be articulate? What were your expectations?

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
To me it's not as much "did he interview" as whether he was contacted. I can see a larger program not wanting to make a young-ish hire knowing that he would jump at the chance to return to Chapel Hill but it seems a smaller school would love to let a guy like Hubert cut his teeth as head coach knowing that if he did well attracting the next guy would be easier.

he said "very articulate." i expect head coaches to be articulate, but very articulate means better than most. are we at the point where compliments are actually insults because we must assume that all superlatives apply?

90% of the time that word is used you know exactly what the person is insinuating, so yes, it’s offensive.

Might I suggest listening to people who actually are marginalized and their feelings?

Oh, please. Are we going to try and drag out the PC police because somebody might get their feelings hurt?

Yes. We sure are.

It’s called sensitivity.

Believe it or not, I assure you you don’t know everything. You should try listening to other people’s experiences. It’s good for the soul.

Yes. We sure are.

It’s called sensitivity.

Believe it or not, I assure you you don’t know everything. You should try listening to other people’s experiences. It’s good for the soul.

Put your big boy panties on and get on with life instead of whining about every little thing. People have gotten so soft. They dream up things to be offended by and use that to play the victim time after time. And I hate to hurt your sensitive feeling more, but the harsh reality is that 99% of people could care less.

Aren't you special. Writer doesn't equal articulate and why do you feel the need to quote the "6 figure salary" to try and impress us? Chill out and have a Wokea-Cola.

Because I am articulate and I can argue whatever point I want. And I’m right.

So what’s it to you?

You don’t like it, don’t reply.

Put your big boy panties on and get on with life instead of whining about every little thing. People have gotten so soft. They dream up things to be offended by and use that to play the victim time after time. And I hate to hurt your sensitive feeling more, but the harsh reality is that 99% of people could care less.

I don’t need big boy pants, I’m wearing them right now. And I assure you, I’m not sensitive and I’m not whining. In fact, I’m mostly a dick.

I’m just smart enough to care about people who are different than me and their opinions.

Figure that out and shut the hell up. You’re talking shit to the wrong dude.

Archer come on man. You’ve known me 20 years. I used to moderate this board.

Don’t be like the rest of them. I have much respect for you.
Just a little humor, something this board needs. I remember being amazed that Biden was given a huge pass when he was running for Veep and raved about Obama being so “clean and articulate”, like that was so unusual for a black man.

That was clearly a racist comment. I just don’t think the comment above was. I think Hubert is probably more articulate than most coaches, in general. Our society’s become overly sensitive and many are looking for things to be offended about.

Being called articulate is a very nice compliment. It always was and still should be, IMO.

Last edited:
This is an old Chris Rock sketch from like 1995. He laughs when white people say an educated black man speaks so well cuz it’s never something you’d say about a white guy.

So it’s from 1995, not sure how “woke” it is. It’s just facts and getting called out on your BS.

Wow. Peeps sure do jump at the chance to prove someone else's feelings are unnecessary or "over the top". Wouldn't it be nice if we lived in a world where if someone said they found something offensive, peeps would ask questions with the intent to understand and not to prove they just can't feel that way? The Christian world in which I was raised had some interesting sayings about treating others and this thread sure seems to forget about them!

I have been called "articulate" and "well spoken" my entire life (52 out of 57 years) and I can count on one hand the times it actually FELT like a compliment! If someone is trying to tell you something that might prevent YOU from sounding like you were insensitive, one might want to listen......or attack I guess!

It takes two to have an argument; but it also takes two to heal!

Boy am I glad our coach sounds like he can handle this job!

Wow. Peeps sure do jump at the chance to prove someone else's feelings are unnecessary or "over the top". Wouldn't it be nice if we lived in a world where if someone said they found something offensive, peeps would ask questions with the intent to understand and not to prove they just can't feel that way? The Christian world in which I was raised had some interesting sayings about treating others and this thread sure seems to forget about them!

I have been called "articulate" and "well spoken" my entire life (52 out of 57 years) and I can count on one hand the times it actually FELT like a compliment! If someone is trying to tell you something that might prevent YOU from sounding like you were insensitive, one might want to listen......or attack I guess!

Wouldn't it be nice to live in a world where so many people didnt get up in the morning looking something to be offended over.

This whole argument around the word 'articulate' only underlines the shortcomings of attempts at communicating in such a format. I'm also a writer (and therapist) and the issue is that on such a forum as this WORDS are all you have to go on. Your interpretation is based solely on the context at hand your own station, mood and attitude at the point of reading those words. People tend these days to be ready to read in their own bias and tell everyone else how wrong they are. I'm weighing in on the subject at hand only enough to say there is and always has been a connotation to the use of the word articulate in a certain context. TBH the average person should be aware and given the format in which we are attempting to communicate... and avoid it. It's not about feelings it's simply about being aware of what you write. Sensitivity can be practiced regardless of the true 'feeling' you have on a subject. Even if possibly being a little to quick to jump on someone- I tend to come down on the side of anyone cautioning others about how their words might be construed than I would anyone who would simply dismiss such criticism much less call them a name. I do, however, understand that name calling is a throw back to childhood behavior when we neither had the tact nor the intellect to draw upon to muster anything classier.

Enough PC BS.

Just try to understand points of view and not be so quick to hurl stones at each other... Some of us have been here years / a decade or longer and most have been through alot in the past few alone.

My Carolina supporter brethren (et. al I guess?) Kindness, patience and hearing one another out beats getting one over any day of the week.

Last edited:

Let me ask you a sincere question since you have experience in these situations. Is their a word that would be appropriate to use without offending someone? I think people like Bill Clinton and Obama are great speakers regardless of what someone might think about their politics. How exactly could I compliment Obama? Would well spoken be acceptable? Is there anything that I could say or should you just not compliment a black person in that way?

Wow. Never thought that the word articulate would trigger such a response. My son and I went to Montross camp 3 years in a row and every year we would meet a few coaches or ADs in the Rams Club Room. Had no idea someone would try to make something racial about the word articulate.
Davis was the most personable and articulate person we met in 3 years.The list included Roy, Bubba, Eric and a few others. Had no idea this would hit a nerve with some fan.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT