ADVERTISEMENT

Did having fans in the stands help

Here's what helps:
1. Putting the ball in the basket(50% in the 2nd half)
2. Not throwing the ball away(Only 5 TO's in the 2nd half)

Fans didn't help. Much too far from the court. It didn't hurt, but certainly didn't help. I say play the Duke game in Carmichael with 5,000 fans. I don't think that the governor will prosecute Bubba Cunningham

I listened to Coach Williams, Davis and Kessler’s and Walton’s post game comments and they all agreed that having fans in the stands really helped the team make the remarkably second half comeback.

Fans didn't help or hurt. The Dome swallows sound. Very polite of the players to say that the fans helped

Yes I believe having fans cheering the team on was rather helpful for the team. Had a “homier” feel tonight than the games held without fans in attendance. It wasn’t crazy loud but you could hear them well enough! Their energy has to be at least a little contagious.

They clearly helped! The team felt spurred to greater effort and I don't know how anyone could question what the players/coaches said. If they felt it, it was real! I know it made the experience better form me even on TV!

BUT: That monster, Kessler, had and even greater impact! (and so did hitting a few shot + reducing TOs!)

Of course it did. All games played previously this year had the feeling of a scrimmage.

It's cool that some students were able to experience what generations of Tar Heel students have experienced. I imagine yelling through masks isn't much fun, but hey. 😷

Fans didn't help. Much too far from the court. It didn't hurt, but certainly didn't help. I say play the Duke game in Carmichael with 5,000 fans. I don't think that the governor will prosecute Bubba Cunningham

Pooper would prosecute his own mother if it meant a few more votes.

Reactions: gobblercalls
Perhaps the fans hurt early. Contributed to the 14 first half turnovers trying to impress the fans

Could you please teach others how to be a troll, Mr. Crane! You are subtle and clearly in for the long haul. I don't really mind your style (although I do question the concept of trolling) but your compadres are so obvious and seem to lack style! Take a few under your wing and pay it forward, Sir!

But great win for the Tar Heels and those of us with glasses 3/4 full really enjoyed that freakin' game!

No trolling. Thanks for the kind words. I really don't think the fans helped. If a reporter asks if the fans helped, it's polite to say yes. I wasn't there. Perhaps they did help.

I agree that the crowd can have an effect in a packed high school gym or in a college venue such as Carmichael or Cameron where the fans can touch the players. There were 18,000 empty seats in the Dome on Sunday, and no fans within 50 yards of the court

• Wow
Reactions: Heelicious
Hell yeah it did.

It had me more hyped hearing the reaction and boos at home.

The fans make college sports special no matter what you think.

Reactions: Heelicious
I agree that the crowd can have an effect in a packed high school gym or in a college venue such as Carmichael or Cameron where the fans can touch the players. There were 18,000 empty seats in the Dome on Sunday, and no fans within 50 yards of the court

True dat, however, when both the players and coach took time to thank the fans for their support and cheers, and that they made a difference, what other conclusion can one come to? The fans made a difference. If you want to hold to your opinion that they had no affect, so be it, it's gonna be cold and lonely in that decision room fella. Don't want to see the forest for the trees eh?

According to your observations, a stadium of 100K fans are only there to pay for a ticket and watch, and those at football stadiums are a lot further away than at a basketball game, and I guess, they have no affect on a team's play as well.

Last edited:
Fans help when you're used to fans helping. So many players this season have said how weird it is to play in an empty gym because they haven't done that since like grammar school. So I think for big time college athletes, it absolutely helps because it's more normal for them. And yes, you absolutely get energy on the court from crowds, no matter how far they are from the floor.

Hell yeah it did.

It had me more hyped hearing the reaction and boos at home.

The fans make college sports special no matter what you think.
Yeah, that was the first time all year I actually felt like I was watching a game instead of a scrimmage. Football was the same way as well. It just doesn't feel the same without fans. The diamond heels played their first games with fans last weekend. Completely different feel.

OK. Very interesting. I'll end by saying that I think that Coach Williams asked the players to thank the fans. Common courtesy. I thanked people for attending my father's funeral. I told them how much it meant to me. I honestly don't remember who attended. Their attendance didn't make the day any better

OK. Very interesting. I'll end by saying that I think that Coach Williams asked the players to thank the fans. Common courtesy. I thanked people for attending my father's funeral. I told them how much it meant to me. I honestly don't remember who attended. Their attendance didn't make the day any better

Sorry as can be for your loss, whenever it was. I've lost both of my parents and too many other family members to list.
I don't see that your analogy fits though, particular to comparing a basketball game to a loved ones funeral? Just think before you type, please.

Why say inaccurate comments like this? No fans within 50 yards of the court would mean most of them were sitting outside in the parking lot or on the street.

You could see and hear them on TV, so how could the players on the court possibly not hear them? Are you saying it is just as beneficial, no difference, to not have any fans there at all? Then why do they even sell tickets to those seats, or have people that are in those seats cheer in other games during the year (regular games before COVID).

They should post signs by those seats: "Attention: persons from these seats and further up / out: Do not cheer! Do not yell! Do not get excited! The players cannot possibly see or hear you from this far away". Insane garbage take.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT