ADVERTISEMENT

Does anyone think there might be an upset

Dec 5, 2005
I think it could happen, not likely of course, but I want to be optimistic. Everyone has to play well and the play calling must be right on point for it to happen. Sam has to have time back there.....that is key. Our D-backs have to find the ball. Also, I'd like to see our punting game improve, there are too many 25-35 yd punts coming off his foot. I'm coming from Tennessee to see this one and I can tell you there is a lot of misery with Vol fans here. I even had one say he's trading in the orange for baby blue.

I think we could beat the spread, which is currently 26.5. I don't think we have a chance to beat them though.

Is Strowbridge healthy, can Wolfolk play? Can we win the TO margin by 3 and does Dyami win %100 of the 50/50 balls that are hail-married at him on 3rd and really long? if so - YES!

8-9 very major players out? No way

Sounds like these two are out
Rene
Polino

Heck, is questionable, you'd think a broken hand would slow him down big-time though.

Strow, Wolfolk, Antoine Greene are all maybes.

That's just 2 to 6 very major. Or am i missing someone?

Sounds like these two are out
Rene
Polino

Heck, is questionable, you'd think a broken hand would slow him down big-time though.

Strow, Wolfolk, Antoine Greene are all maybes.

That's just 2 to 6 very major. Or am i missing someone?
Doesn't Gemmel have to sit the first half because of targeting? Based on his play, I'm not sure if he would be considered major though.

I think it could happen, not likely of course, but I want to be optimistic. Everyone has to play well and the play calling must be right on point for it to happen. Sam has to have time back there.....that is key. Our D-backs have to find the ball. Also, I'd like to see our punting game improve, there are too many 25-35 yd punts coming off his foot. I'm coming from Tennessee to see this one and I can tell you there is a lot of misery with Vol fans here. I even had one say he's trading in the orange for baby blue.
Remind that Vols fan that Mack Brown is a native Tennessean.

Is there any word that the Vols could lose any of their commitments? The 4* C from Knoxville Catholic is a Vols commit. I'd like to have him as a Tar Heel. They got a commitment from the 4* WDE from Marietta, GA, but I'd much rather have Desmond Evans.

Doesn't Gemmel have to sit the first half because of targeting? Based on his play, I'm not sure if he would be considered major though.
His targeting was in the first half though, but if he sits, I call that major. There is a reason he's the starting MLB instead of the RS-SR.

Charlotte held Clemson to 52-10
Charlotte put up 41 easily on App st..

Right Now UNC is a little better than Charlotte, a little worse than App

42-17

49-14, or 42-10, depending how much Clemson decides to score. Even if UNC had all their starters, it wouldn't happen. Clemson is a freight train.

Charlotte held Clemson to 52-10
Charlotte put up 41 easily on App st..

Right Now UNC is a little better than Charlotte, a little worse than App

42-17

Don't let the 52-10 final score against Charlotte fool you. Clemson could have easily score 70, 80, or maybe even 90 points. Venables was rotating backup DL's in the 1st quarter, Trevor Lawrence was pulled with 12:18 left in the 2nd quarter, with many of 2nd team players playing the entire 2nd quarter.The entire 2nd half had 3rd, 4th, and 5th string players, as well as scout team players playing against Charlotte's 1st string, and Charlotte still did not score a TD until late when Will Sweeney muffed a punt.

We did not even get a chance to see if Trevor Lawrence or Justyn Ross were back to form, and it is hard to establish any continuity with shuffling in so many players. And as you mentioned, this is a team that gave Appalachian State a run for their money, and you all know how good Appalachian State may be. I just hope Appalachian State will be good enough later this year to beat the Gamecocks in Cootlumbia (Columbia).

Last edited:
I think the best we can hope for is get the ball first, and maybe hit a big play or two and take a 7-0 lead. After that.... nope.

Tigers 45 - 20, and that's if they call of the dogs.

That’s exactly what I said in another thread. Take the ball first if you win the coin toss just to have an opportunity for a positive moment with whatever recruits might be in the stadium. It may be short lived, but give everyone that image of what it looks like to see Carolina football with a lead on the number one team in the country.

Reactions: TarHeelMark
I think the best we can hope for is get the ball first, and maybe hit a big play or two and take a 7-0 lead. After that.... nope.

Tigers 45 - 20, and that's if they call of the dogs.

I do not know if this Clemson defense is as good as last year? Probably not? Venables has used a bunch of gadgetry, using 3-4-4, 3-3-5, 4-2-5, etc. schemes to confuse teams. This is to allow the younger DL players to get better. The back end (DB's) are likely better than last year, which is beneficial to a defensive line trying to get better and get experience. Clemson's DE's are pretty good, and by mid season could be better than last year, especially XT. Their weakness (for now) is at DT.

Is there any word that the Vols could lose any of their commitments? The 4* C from Knoxville Catholic is a Vols commit. I'd like to have him as a Tar Heel. They got a commitment from the 4* WDE from Marietta, GA, but I'd much rather have Desmond Evans.
If I hear of any de-commits, I'll put it on here...thanks

Clemson Tarheel here. Agree with TreeTiger. You guys impressed me against SC but I know the injuries have taken a toll. I expected the Cocks to look faster than UNC but I’d didn’t see a difference.

The speed difference should be noticeable this weekend though. We are a fast team. Especially on defense. Our LB miss some tackles occasionally. I think you can run the ball against us early and we still aren’t playing great on offense. If Howell plays like he did against USC, it could be interesting. I just don’t think he will have the time and our blitzes are tough on a freshman.

Our depth is unbelievable and that’s where we should take control in the second half. We play a lot players without much dropoff. 42-14.

Zero chance for an upset here. Bottom line is that UNC just doesnt have the talent to compete with a program like Clemson. I doubt UNC could beat their 2nd, or 3rd, team. Dabo seems to like Mack as Mack seemed to be the only veteran coach that would give him advice when he was trying to find his way as a new head coach at Clemson. That might be a good thing as the final score will depend solely on just how benevolent Dabo is on Saturday.

It won't happen for one simple reason. I'm going to the game and we've never won a football game I've attended. Fortunately, this is only the fourth game I'll have been to in my life.

It won't happen for one simple reason. I'm going to the game and we've never won a football game I've attended. Fortunately, this is only the fourth game I'll have been to in my life.
Is that only home games?

If so, I think we can take up a collection to send you to that pasture in rawlee in November so you can work your mojo on moo when Heels play them.

If it makes you feel better, I went to the last game in Chapel Hill and you guys beat us even though we had more talent. I’m going this weekend. It’s college football. Anything can happen.

If it makes you feel better, I went to the last game in Chapel Hill and you guys beat us even though we had more talent. I’m going this weekend. It’s college football. Anything can happen.

We'll find out who is the bigger jinx of the two of us. LOL.

Its not you i am 1-10 in the last 10, South Carolina being my only one in last 10

We should have one thing going for this Saturday and that is .......we have nothing to lose. No one expects us to win, so just go out there and play hard, have fun, and maybe, just maybe something good might happen. I was there in Kenan in 1968 when our crappy team beat #4 Florida in the rain and mud. Miracles can happen.

Tennessee linebackers Will Ignont(Jr), and Shanon Reid(Jr), plus wide receiver Jacquez Jones(soph) have left the team. 5 players have left since the start of the season. Jordan Murphy a wide receiver and Terrell Bailey a defensive back left earlier after the Georgia State loss.

My UNC mom called me. She says UNC is so banged up, she wants them to sit Howell because she’s afraid he’ll get hurt. The rest of the season more important. With your line injuries, it’s not going to be pretty.

On a positive note, Dabo will play all 70 travel players and he loves Mack Brown. He will try to be respectful. On the negative side, there isn’t that big a dropoff and player #70 would start at most schools. Personally, I hope it’s a fairly close game for awhile so I can see our starters get more of the action. I hope everyone (from both teams) stays healthy.

My UNC mom called me. She says UNC is so banged up, she wants them to sit Howell because she’s afraid he’ll get hurt. The rest of the season more important. With your line injuries, it’s not going to be pretty.

On a positive note, Dabo will play all 70 travel players and he loves Mack Brown. He will try to be respectful. On the negative side, there isn’t that big a dropoff and player #70 would start at most schools. Personally, I hope it’s a fairly close game for awhile so I can see our starters get more of the action. I hope everyone (from both teams) stays healthy.
No offense to your mom (except that she should've raised you to be a Tar Heel first over everything else :D), but I've heard others make similar comments about sitting Howell. I hope it is in jest, as I would be pissed if we didn't put the best we have available on the field, and give it our best shot. I'm sure Sam would feel the same; athletes want to compete and measure themselves against the best competition. If they don't feel that way, then I would prefer they played elsewhere.

Regarding injuries... we all know its possible on any play no matter who the opponent. Clemson clearly outmatched 3 of their 4 opponents so far - did any of those teams QBs get injured?

Reactions: Raising Heel
No offense to your mom (except that she should've raised you to be a Tar Heel first over everything else :D), but I've heard others make similar comments about sitting Howell. I hope it is in jest, as I would be pissed if we didn't put the best we have available on the field, and give it our best shot. I'm sure Sam would feel the same; athletes want to compete and measure themselves against the best competition. If they don't feel that way, then I would prefer they played elsewhere.

Regarding injuries... we all know its possible on any play no matter who the opponent. Clemson clearly outmatched 3 of their 4 opponents so far - did any of those teams QBs get injured?

No injuries. I’ve watched all your games. Howell has taken some hits. Our DEs are more speed guys this year and Howell has a big body. He’ll probably be okay. Our safeties (Muse, Simmons) are the ones that really bring the pain. Simmons is a freak. He’s all over the field and will be a top 10 pick. He’s worth the price of admission just to see. 6’4, 225, 4.4 speed with a 44” vertical. Tackling machine.

If the game gets out of hand, UNC may want to sit the starters and just play for the rest of the season. I think UNC is going to be good the next few years.

No injuries. I’ve watched all your games. Howell has taken some hits. Our DEs are more speed guys this year and Howell has a big body. He’ll probably be okay. Our safeties (Muse, Simmons) are the ones that really bring the pain. Simmons is a freak. He’s all over the field and will be a top 10 pick. He’s worth the price of admission just to see. 6’4, 225, 4.4 speed with a 44” vertical. Tackling machine.

If the game gets out of hand, UNC may want to sit the starters and just play for the rest of the season. I think UNC is going to be good the next few years.

Thanks for the concern and I realize it will take a Herculean effort to win but I say we play our best no matter what. Also, IF we shock the world man will there be some Clemson fans (friends and family mainly) pissed at me. I was bad, in a good way, when we beat UofSC with all their NFL talent it will be worse this time. I have a daughter who actually graduated from Clemson and played in the band but she will regret turning her back on the Heels (whom she was reared to pull for and still does in BB).
I wish this game was happiness about two years from now but maybe it will then too....in the acccg.

I believe that Clemson will get UNC's best shot. That is the narrative with everyone we play. Everyone wants to beat the #1 team and defending national champs. I would imagine the 1st quarter will be tight, as Clemson seems to be starting out a little slow this year. Tarheel fans should hope that Trevor is still not playing his best, which would also keep the game a little closer. If Trevor is not at his best, Clemson will certainly not cover that spread. If he is at his best, well it could get ugly.

And yes, Clemson's DL may be the weak spot of the defense this year, maybe evidenced by Venables playing a lot of 3 man defensive fronts. Plus they will have to blitz more this year to get pressure on the QB, where last year they could be all over the QB with just four, and even good pressure rushing three.

The only way Heels pull the upset is to have a LOT of things go their way. We'd have to turn them over 3, 4 times (with none on UNC, of course); maybe hit a big play on special teams, catch a lucky break or busted play or two. It's a tall order for sure.

Let’s be honest here. The entire Clemson starting lineup, along with all reserves and half the 3rd string would have to get raging diarrhea and not be able to even suit up for us to have a decent shot. And even then, it’d be at least a 10 point spread.

I love my Tar Heels, but we aren’t at that level. Yet!

With that said, I love me some Mack Brown and I know he’ll have us on the right track soon enough. I know we “could” win and I will pull as hard as I will any other game, but I know it’s a long shot at best. Keep it competitive and don’t have any injuries. If we do that, i’ll Be OK with the game either way.

Let’s be honest here. The entire Clemson starting lineup, along with all reserves and half the 3rd string would have to get raging diarrhea and not be able to even suit up for us to have a decent shot. And even then, it’d be at least a 10 point spread.

I love my Tar Heels, but we aren’t at that level. Yet!

With that said, I love me some Mack Brown and I know he’ll have us on the right track soon enough. I know we “could” win and I will pull as hard as I will any other game, but I know it’s a long shot at best. Keep it competitive and don’t have any injuries. If we do that, i’ll Be OK with the game either way.

So we do have a chance right?

Reactions: Littlejon
Dang. Had a shot. Didnt see that coming by any stretch of the imagination. But UNC played well. Didnt turn it over. And Clemson walked in very overconfident. As anyone would facing a team that just lost to Wake and App when you are #1 in the country. And because of that they weren't very sharp. QB was off from his usual self. Sometimes a home crowd gets into it, and the road favorite just cant get the monkey out of the wrench.

You have no idea how bad I wanted to come eat those words yesterday. I almost missed a wedding because I was watching the end of the game on my phone. Heard a lot of crap from ABCer's in the wife's family over the loss, but I didn't care. I loved the fight and just wish we'd have called a different play with a receiver or TE to throw to in the end zone.

I LOVE that Mack pulled the trigger. Go big or go home and I don't care what anyone says, I would've gone for it, too.

In his presser, Mack said there was never a doubt that we'd go for 2. He was worried about our defense being worn down, and that deeper teams are eventually going to pull away. He didn't want to get into an OT shootout with them.

I'm 100% on board with his decision and from what I've read the players were too.

Reactions: Littlejon
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT