ADVERTISEMENT

espn FPI - 3 or 4 losses this yr

blazers

Hall of Famer
Oct 8, 2001
https://www.espn.com/college-football/fpi Predicts 3 or 4 losses - Mia, Notre, i guess @VT and @Pitt are the next most likely:

Projected W-L8.6 - 3.7

Looks like bad math since i'd say Mia is a toss-up, probably vt/pitt too.
If the team loses to teams like VT and Pitt then you can kiss Rice and Shaw goodbye.

Reactions: JimmyinVA
Four losses would be a huge disappointment and a failure to be honest. This is a team that should easily win nine games. ND is really the only team that should beat us.

Reactions: matt 1976
Four losses would be a huge disappointment and a failure to be honest. This is a team that should easily win nine games. ND is really the only team that should beat us.

I’ll be disappointed if they even lose two regular season games. Much less 3 or 4. This team needs to go to the ACCCG with a chance at a playoff berth if Mack wants to keep building this momentum.

I’ll be disappointed if they even lose two regular season games. Much less 3 or 4. This team needs to go to the ACCCG with a chance at a playoff berth if Mack wants to keep building this momentum.
I think ND is a loss and we'll have a loss we shouldn't have cause UNC football, but we really shouldn't do worse than that. I'll say 10-2, but it will end up 9-3 probably.

Potential threats: ND, Miami, VT, Pitt and $tate.
Letdown games that we could lose: UVA, FSU

This schedule is very manageable, but we don't have the winning culture yet to feel confident about 10+ W's.

Reactions: dooksux
I think ND is a loss and we'll have a loss we shouldn't have cause UNC football, but we really shouldn't do worse than that. I'll say 10-2, but it will end up 9-3 probably.

Idk, we have the advantage at QB and they’re losing a lot of guys on the o-line. If the younger d-line guys are developing like we’ve heard they are, we could give them fits up front. It will be interesting to see their QB play early on because if they have trouble there, it’s going to be hard to keep pace with the offense.

Reactions: -COUNTRY-CLUB-JOE-
The Virginia Tech game will be the indicator of whether the Heels are for real or if it is just hype. Lose that game and 8-4 is probably the top expected outcome. Win there and 10-2 becomes a real possibility. I will never forget what a good friend said to me as another football season came to the end of the road "Carolina Football, it always breaks your heart."

Shoot for the moon. I or 2 Losses at the most. Look at the losses last year, 4th quarter out of gas. This year, as I have been reading, 2 defensive lines, up scale offense( the running backs aren't chump change), very go receivers, and SAM at QB. Maybe 1 lose before the Clemson game and anybodies guess. Lets be optimistic!!!

The only teams in the ACC that should beat UNC would be ND, or Clemson. Fuentes is up against the wall at VT. NCSU basically recruits leftovers. Miami is well.....Miami. certainly not the U. UNC simply has more talent than those teams. But they can step in it. UNC was much better than both FSU and UVA last year, but found a way to tank in both of those efforts. We will see.

Saw them with the espn fpi 8-4 thing but I will be optimistic and go 9-3 and hope we are really good and go 10-2. It would be so cool if some of these players bust out.

I'm just glad they don't play the games on paper or in the media. The Heels just need to stay focused, take each game seriously, and execute.

All VT cares about is beating us and UVA. Everything else is is just gravy for them. Although, I think that WVU will get their attention.

upsetting UNC would go a long way to saving his job. they will be FIRED UP with their first full home crowd in ages.
But their talent level isn't what UNC has. This is one of those games that they can't lay an egg, like at FSU and UVA last year, if they want to keep the excitement going for the program.

But their talent level isn't what UNC has. This is one of those games that they can't lay an egg, like at FSU and UVA last year, if they want to keep the excitement going for the program.
UNC lays a lot of eggs against VT and UVA. UNC lays a lot of eggs everywhere.

The Heels have tons of talent this year, but they lost a LOT of offensive power. I dunno, I have learned to never get too excited when it comes to UNC Football.

...The Heels have tons of talent this year, but they lost a LOT of offensive power...
it's hard to appreciate just how much offensive firepower carolina lost -- perhaps the best combination of running backs and wide receivers ever in the ACC... or anywhere for that matter.

Reactions: UNCPJH81
Not sure why people think WR will be an issue. Unless people get hurt or take a huge step back, we will be more than ok there. The biggest question mark is RB. I think we're going to have to be a running back by committee type of team. If we can get an average to above average running game going then offense will be fine.

Reactions: NBBears20124ACHAMPS
I feel like fans will be excited for anything post-covid. Recruiting needs to see momo though.

Assuming there are no cancelled games I'm hoping the Heels end up with nothing more than a 2 in the loss column. Don't care how you get there or the first number.. could be a 11, 12, or a 13

Idk, we have the advantage at QB and they’re losing a lot of guys on the o-line. If the younger d-line guys are developing like we’ve heard they are, we could give them fits up front. It will be interesting to see their QB play early on because if they have trouble there, it’s going to be hard to keep pace with the offense.
I’m curious about the comment, “keep pace with the offense?”
ND, without Kyle Hamilton for the entire second half, at UNC, with both the RBs & WRs, didn’t give up a single point, and held UNC to 17 points (3 the final 50 minutes).
ND’s defense is expected to be even better this season.
At QB, Coan won 10 games in a season and played at OSU, in the B1G Title Game & a Rose Bowl. He isn’t elite, but he won’t be a problem for ND.
The media is not really accurate when they keep saying ND is only returning 1 starter on the OL. They are returning 4 starters, 3 of which are multiple game starters at ND & the 4th an All American transfer. Correll, the starting LG, was the starter last year the last 4 games (starting at UNC, also against Clemson & Alabama), Lugg has started games for three seasons (always the first guy in when starter injured at every position but Center), & of course Patterson is the returning All American Center who was hurt the week before the UNC game. Then Madden, the transfer, was 2nd team All American last year & preseason 1st Team All American this year. The only new starter is 5 Star Blake Fisher.

ND, without Kyle Hamilton for the entire second half, at UNC, with both the RBs & WRs, didn’t give up a single point, and held UNC to 17 points (3 the final 50 minutes).
At QB, Coan won 10 games in a season and played at OSU, in the B1G Title Game & a Rose Bowl. He isn’t elite, but he won’t be a problem for ND.
The media is not really accurate when they keep saying ND is only returning 1 starter on the OL. They are returning 4 starters, 3 of which are multiple game starters at ND & the 4th an All American transfer. Correll, the starting LG, was the starter last year the last 4 games (starting at UNC, also against Clemson & Alabama), Lugg has started games for three seasons (always the first guy in when starter injured at every position but Center), & of course Patterson is the returning All American Center who was hurt the week before the UNC game. Then Madden, the transfer, was 2nd team All American last year & preseason 1st Team All American this year. The only new starter is 5 Star Blake Fisher.

TL;DR

How is ND's defense expected to be better when it was loaded with SRs last year? Coan at QB is a game manager at best. He has thrown for under 3300 yards in his whole career.

Our defense should be able to give Sam and co. more short fields and more opportunities ( 3 - 5 ) per game.
If we are to take next step it will be because of improved defense. Defense is deep and talented. Special teams, defense and Sam for 10 or 11 wins and a shot at the Tigers

ADVERTISEMENT