ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN on App State's rise from 1-AA to possible New Year's 6 Cotton Bowl

WoadBlue

Hall of Famer
Aug 15, 2008
link

UNC is central to the article: "In 2018, Appalachian State's athletic budget was $37 million, just on the cusp of the top 80 NCAA programs. North Carolina's was a shade over $102 million.

But on Sept. 21 in Chapel Hill, the final score was App State 34, Tar Heels 31.

"To a lot of these folks, knocking off big brother down the road, that was bigger to them than the Michigan win."

"I think as someone who didn't grow up around here, I underestimated what that game would mean to our fan base," admits Drinkwitz, a Norman, Oklahoma, native. "But to a lot of these folks, knocking off big brother down the road, that was bigger to them than the Michigan win. I know that because it's been more than a month and people are still coming up to me all the time thanking me for it."

If they end up going to a decent bowl and finishing 12-1 and ranked in the top 25, I wouldn't consider that a bad loss. Only people in North Carolina care about the perception of being beat by "little brother."

After we pummel them in 22 & 23, I hope we never schedule them again. Just don't see any positive for us to ever play them.
I'll agree with that. There's no reason to schedule a game against an NC school because it's not going to help us. It's either a "no big deal you should have won" game or a "how the hell did you lose" game for us.

I'll agree with that. There's no reason to schedule a game against an NC school because it's not going to help us. It's either a "no big deal you should have won" game or a "how the hell did you lose" game for us.
Exactly. I don't think Mack was too happy when he saw App on our schedule, for those very reasons.

I saw where the Heels have Charlotte and Campbell in future schedules. Even though we should stomp those two a few years from now, I sure hope Mack and Bubba get those games replaced if possible.

the team that lost to ga southern last nite looked like a completely different team from the one that beat us. the game in chapel hill was their super bowl apparently.

If they end up going to a decent bowl and finishing 12-1 and ranked in the top 25, I wouldn't consider that a bad loss. Only people in North Carolina care about the perception of being beat by "little brother."
i respectfully disagree. our stated goal is to own the state, which is hard to say if you can't beat app state.

I think ASU had a bad game, but they're still a very good team... that usually wins games.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT