ADVERTISEMENT

Even the basketball-obsessed fools at Kansas have finally realized

I get the dead horse comment.

Putting all of your fandom into basketball is, indeed, like feeding oats to a dead horse.

Football feeds the revenue, but we've certainly been investing a lot there lately. Kenan Football Center, stadium upgrades, indoor practice facility coming, extension/raise for Fedora, Jumpman, etc. Having spoken to Bubba Cunningham personally, he definitely gets it. I'm really happy with the way our athletic department is run.

Tailgating at UNC is going to be greatly improved. The move to partner with the tailgating outfit was a smart one and opening up some of the campus green areas is going to lead to a great atmosphere on game days.

Reactions: Archer2
Tailgating at UNC is going to be greatly improved. The move to partner with the tailgating outfit was a smart one and opening up some of the campus green areas is going to lead to a great atmosphere on game days.
Not going to matter unless people show up and they won't until we win consistently or lower expectations. History shows that won't happen at UNC. Fans are spoiled by our success in other sports and the program hasn't had an extended period of success by our current standards.

Not going to matter unless people show up and they won't until we win consistently or lower expectations. History shows that won't happen at UNC. Fans are spoiled by our success in other sports and the program hasn't had an extended period of success by our current standards.

Never underestimate the power of alcohol.

So do I.

Football generates more money than college basketball. In other news, water is wet.
Yes, we know that and Woad knows that. He wants to generate support for UNC football on a UNC sports fan website. Why do you have such a problem with that? Those of us that attend UNC football games on a regular basis would love to see more fans in attendance. We all should try to push UNC football because all of UNC's athletic programs are better off if the football program is viable and healthy. Fans trying to emphasize this fact should not be attacked, but supported.

So do I.

Football generates more money than college basketball. In other news, water is wet.
Maybe you can carry this same amount of sarcasm over to raider when when another "Who will start at center?" or "Greatest Tar Heel PG?" thread is conjured up for the millionth time.

Reactions: grillheel
You're preaching to the choir. We all know football generates more money. And we'd all like to see more support for the football program. Consistently field a contender and that will happen. Continued mediocrity won't help the cause.

I get the dead horse comment.

Putting all of your fandom into basketball is, indeed, like feeding oats to a dead horse.
KU is the GREAT source of basketball hostility to football. Phog Allen made no bones about his views, and he always used his power to make certain that basketball was #1 at KU. Adolph Rupp took that KU attitude to Kentucky.

Roy Williams showed more respect for football in his first 3 years at UNC than Dean Smith, another Allen-KU product, did in 25.

Phog Allen is surely spluttering non-stop about KU now wasting a fortune on football when the same money would make KU basketball the biggest and best in the country. The reason for the change is that KU people know that if the Big 12 had come apart a few years ago, KU would have been left outside a Major/Power conference. No matter how BIG for how long KU basketball has been, KU would have been relegated to the MWC or something like the AAC. And that because KU is a poor bet for football, and football is at least 4 times more valuable than basketball.

It is simple economics - the most simple.

Now, KU people know that the Big 12 remains unstable, because Texas clearly is not thrilled with how A&M in the SEC has altered their relationship, getting it closer to equal. And because all Big 12 states but TX have very small populations. And because OU definitely would leave the Big 12 in a heartbeat if it were to receive the right offer (which may require Ok St as tag along). So KU people finally must give the middle finger to the memory of Phog Allen and invest BIG TIME in football, because that is the only way KU has any shot to get an invite to another Major/Power conference. KU basketball, which is no less than the 5th or 6th most powerful program in the country, is not enough to secure KU in any other Major/Power conference.

What I wonder is if the Big Ten, realizing it has very little shot at wooing Texas, is ready to take KU with OU as long as KU invests properly in football.

The old Big 8 was OU-Nebraska football and KU basketball. The 3 back together would make the Big Ten West actually interesting in each sport - and now the Big Ten West is dull in each sport.

You're preaching to the choir. We all know football generates more money. And we'd all like to see more support for the football program. Consistently field a contender and that will happen. Continued mediocrity won't help the cause.
If KU were to wait to invest in football until it started to win consistently, KU would never win consistently in football, and KU would be stuck in a non-Major conference once the Big 12 implodes.

So do I.

Now get the many basketball-only fans to acknowledge that, and you will have accomplished something very important.

Hopefully, that starts a big ball rolling.

The school has already invested financially, both with the staff and the new indoor practice facility. At some point it's up to the staff to field a team that is in competition for the division on an annual basis. The time for excuses is long past.

As for the "basketball only" fans some of you like to moan about, field a football team that is one third as good as the basketball team and perhaps we could draw them to the football program. Sustained mediocrity with a double digit win season thrown in from time to time isn't going to do it.

The school has already invested financially, both with the staff and the new indoor practice facility. At some point it's up to the staff to field a team that is in competition for the division on an annual basis. The time for excuses is long past.

As for the "basketball only" fans some of you like to moan about, field a football team that is one third as good as the basketball team and perhaps we could draw them to the football program. Sustained mediocrity with a double digit win season thrown in from time to time isn't going to do it.

Well said Archer..."Build it and they will come."

Reactions: Archer2
Of course they would. Everyone loves a winner, so win and they will come...but I'd also love be one of those places where the experience itself is the draw, win or lose. Call me greedy. I'd love to see UNC figure a way to create their own "Grove", and I believe something similar can be done.

Will it? I don't know. But I have to say the commitment shown by the University to football has surprised me. I honestly believe the powers that be finally get it; UNC has to be a player in big-time college football.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT