ADVERTISEMENT

Expectations for next season

mjrocks23

Sophomore
Feb 7, 2008
Would making the ACC title game be reasonable for next year, or would year 3 be more realistic?

Anything is reasonable in the coastal. I think we should get a minimum of 8 wins next year. With a little bit of luck we could easily get 9, maybe even 10 wins.

Reactions: heelfan1961
7-5 to 8-4 next year. We have 2 really tough OOC games to start the year. Our season hinges on us finding 4-5 DTs who can keep OL off of Chazz and Gemmell, a LT and the health of Sam.

2021 will be the year that we will have the opportunity to win 9 or 10 regular season games.

Anything is reasonable in the coastal. I think we should get a minimum of 8 wins next year. With a little bit of luck we could easily get 9, maybe even 10 wins.
There are a couple of sportswriters who might die of joy if it were a 7-way tie.

The opening 2 games are killer. If the team weathers those physically and emotionally, and stays reasonably healthy, 9-3 with a division title is possible.

7-5 to 8-4 next year. We have 2 really tough OOC games to start the year. Our season hinges on us finding 4-5 DTs who can keep OL off of Chazz and Gemmell, a LT and the health of Sam.

2021 will be the year that we will have the opportunity to win 9 or 10 regular season games.
To win big today, you need at least a 2nd team DL in which each member plays double digit downs every game. Depth on the DL is a must. And we are losing Crawford and Strowbridge, with no one having truly stepped up this year to replace either.

We have the same basic problem with lack of OL depth. I didn't see anyone on this year's team that I would be confident could do a good job starting at LT.

My brother the Vandy guy has offered what he says is Vandy's best OL, the LT, who this year is a 4th year Jr who will graduate. My brother also said that we might as well take probably the best returning DT on the Vandy team, another 4th year Jr set to graduate.

He's being magnanimous because he knows that Vandy will suck again next year and he likes Watson Brown.

Unless we get grad transfers, we will need freshmen to step up big time on both lines. If they do not, we could be looking at 7-5.

The bowl practices will be extremely important in getting young guys on the OL and DL ready for Spring. Spring then could be make or break for us starting 2020 on the right foot.

There are a couple of sportswriters who might die of joy if it were a 7-way tie.

The opening 2 games are killer. If the team weathers those physically and emotionally, and stays reasonably healthy, 9-3 with a division title is possible.
I disagree with the first two games being a killer. I don't expect a win over Auburn and while I think UCF is good, I don't think they are as good as people want to say they are. I think there is a good chance that we are 1-1 in those games.

Reactions: heelfan1961
I think 2-0 opening is very possible. If they come and play like they did against Clemson and I have no doubt they can and will, 2-0 start will happen. Mack said they are here to win now and he got the guys believing. Why not.

Wasn't this team riddled with injuries this season? I mean, stay healthy and heck maybe even win more games this year?

If the kids Mack has coming in can compete...and I do like the DE #2 in the country?

Yes - injuries almost as bad as 2017. And against a definitely tougher schedule.
Not nearly as bad as 2017 inmo. Right now the only impact players missing are Rene, Wolfolk and Kelly. Morrison and Polino missed a handful of games each, but that 2017 team was limping - tons of starters missing the majority of the yr.

UCF lost to pitt by 1 pt, barely lost to Cincy (ranked 20th), and then barely lost to a bad Tulsa team with a bunch of turnovers - but their offense and defense are both outstanding. I think their stud WR is doing pro early.

Best scenario is if they have a QB Controversy that messes with their mojo. The guy now, who is great, is a true frosh. Milton McKenzies next yr though, and he was putting up heisman numbers before injury.

Not only a lot of injuries, but injuries to some of our most experienced starters, with little to no depth/experience behind them due to a brand new staff/scheme. Add in the tougher schedule and how close every loss was and it's as plain as the nose on your face that we've improved dramatically. Give Mack a couple of more classes to develop his depth and we'll be in the hunt for the Coastal annually.

Next year's an unknown. We should be better than this year, but I don't know if we're looking at top dog in the coastal just yet. The loss of Crawford and Strowbridge will hurt next year. That will be offset somewhat by the strength of next season's db's. Granted, the Coastal is a mess and it's there for anyone (except dook and GT) to take next season.

The season after that, however, I think we can realistically expect 10+ wins and will put a stranglehold on the Coastal that we'll keep as long as Mack is around.

After that, it depends on the next hire.

I think it largely depends on how many of the incoming freshman are ready to play next fall. We need the depth and for a few guys to break out right away.

I think we win the coastal by just outscoring most teams regardless though. Keep it to one possession against clemson in the ACCCG and anything can happen.

These freshmen can play in the bowl game and still be eligible for red shirting. Several of our incoming freshmen will play significant minutes next year, especially on defense. Our depth should be better next year. If we can land another top 20 class in '21, we should be significantly deeper going forward.

*3 games: Kamari Morales.

*2 games: ^Vincent Amendola and Ty Murray.

*1 game: Khadre Brown; ^Parks Cochrane; Kevin Hester; Justin Olson and Kristian Varner.

*Has not played: Wisdom Asaboro; Triston Miller and Wyatt Tunall.

Reactions: MWHeels
ADVERTISEMENT