ADVERTISEMENT

Favorite podcasts or audio books

Heelicious

Hall of Famer
May 12, 2005
Apologies in advance if there is already a thread on this. I did a quick search and didn't see one.

I ride the bus each day to / from work, which is about 35 minutes door to door each way. I've wasted way too much time in the past in my commute looking at Facebook and Twitter.

I've recently subscribed to Audible and am liking it quite a bit. I already have a fairly decent list of books to listen to (many hours) - but you only get 1-2 books per month with the monthly subscription.

So I may listen to some podcasts to supplement. I've had a couple people recommend Dan Carlin's Hard Core History to me, so I'm starting with that. I know his podcasts have been around since mid 2000's decade. I believe it is one of the most popular podcasts in the US. I may first try out a non-fiction book Carlin recently released called The End Is Always Near. It is about near misses in significantly damaging events (to certain groups of humans) throughout history. IT sounds so interesting.

I've heard - and it makes sense - that Carlin isn't THE expert on every historical event throughout history. What one person could be? But it sounds like he's a great story teller, adding action and excitement and little-known, fascinating true stories to otherwise "boring" events. And it sounds like he's pretty apolitical.

I will like listening as an alternative to the same old playlists over and over forever while running or commuting. The history stuff is directly in my wheelhouse.

What are other's thoughts on Dan Carlin's podcasts? Do others have favorite podcasts or audio books they'd recommend?

Reactions: gteeitup
i want to do this more because i’ve never been a big reader...not familiar with carlin, but am interested in audible.

i have enjoyed these quite a bit from a podcast app on my phone:

sword and scale
disgraceland

Reactions: Heelicious
I saw a documentary movie this weekend called No Safe Spaces. One of the main people in it is Adam Corolla. I've liked him about every time I've heard him.

I'd say he's apolitical and mostly speaks about popular culture and current events stuff on his podcast, likely has good interviews. I think he is just strongly against the victim or woke or social justice warrior culture.

He seems to have mastered the timing and delivery of a great comedian in just the way he has a conversation and tells stories. I guess his podcast is possibly the most popular in the US? I'd like to check it out, too.

My favourite audiobook is "Persuasion: The Art of Influencing People", by James Borg. I read it and also listened to the audiobook. In The last period, I don't have so much time, so I can not afford to read books, but thankfully I can listen to different podcasts and audiobooks. By me, this is a wonderful opportunity that can help us develop ourselves without losing too much time. I have a few books which I have not time to read, so I decided to get the audio version. Thankfully I stumbled on a site and found out How Much Does It Cost To Make An Audiobook. Now I can afford to listen to any book.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Hark_The_Sound_2010
So many of them.
Good bump.

I like "reply all" - show features stories about how people shape the internet, and how the internet shapes people. It is a tad nerdy. Start with episode "the snapchat thief".

Malcolm Gladwell's revisionist history is interesting (though his voice or style gets on my nerves). History told from a diff perspective.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT