ADVERTISEMENT

Fedora Tuesday Transcript

andrew jones

Hall of Famer
Staff
Jul 21, 2014
CHAPEL HILL - UNC football coach Larry Fedora spoke with reporters after Tuesday's spring football practice. Here is what the coach had to say:

On whether the had a good practice today.

Yeah, it was a good practice. Day 7, so we got, ah, added some things, so we had some guys heads spinning, but it was good, energy level was good.

On how you think your offensive line played in the scrimmage on Saturday

There were some good things, there were some good things. Typically, it was the first live scrimmage we've had, even though it wasn't a full scrimmage, it was the first time we've been going full speed against each other. So there were some good things, there was some, typical first scrimmage things, there were some bad things also, so plenty to work off of.

On when did Bentley Spain get moved up to the 1st team offensive line and what has he done this spring to warrant that move.

He's been more productive and playing better that John Ferranto has, so we're trying to make sure we have competition at every position. Every guy knows if he's playing better than somebody in front of him, then he's moving ahead of him. Now we see what Ferranto does with it.

On are the early enrollees head's still spinning

Oh yeah, definitely, definitely. There's a lot in for those guys and most of them should be going to the prom this week instead of being here with us. Everything they learn is icing on the cake.

On are there any guys standing out right now

You see because of the position, Ty'Son Williams is getting a bunch of carries and he's making some things happen. I think you see some of those guys are getting a lot of reps at their position. I think you see #5 Jauval Mollette, who's made some really nice catches, but he's still got a lot to learn on what he's doing out there. Defensively, I think J.K. Britt has done some nice things.

On any red shirt guys who've been here for a full year standing out

There are a lot of them. All those guys that were red shirted are getting a lot of reps, so, defensively they're all on the same page because they are all learning something brand new. It's not like they don't have any more experience than the other guys in what we're doing. As fast as they learn it, the more they get to play.

On the shuffling of guys this spring in the defensive back field. How have guys reacted to that.

They are reacting the way it's gonna be. You compete, you produce, you're on the field and you move up on the depth chart and another guy moves down. And if he doesn't like it, he better do something about it.

On the fact you've used the word competition a lot this spring, has it been different this year than in the other years you've been here.

We are finally starting to establish a little bit of depth on both sides of the ball. So we have created more competition at quite a few more positions. We're still not that way across the board, but we're getting closer.

On fine tuning technique defensively

While we're teaching concepts, it's all about fundamentals and technique. We're still trying to master the fundamentals and techniques to be a complete player, whatever your position is. So it doesn't matter if it's offensive or defense, everybody's doing that. Obviously, the offense has started ahead because they know the offensive. So these guys are having to learn it and learn the techniques.

On is it good for you to see a guy like Bentley Spain, who has only been here for a little while, take a big step forward

Sure. I'm happy for every one of those guys who is competing and has been productive, especially in the scrimmages and the live work and move up the depth chart. Now the key is making sure he does that again, so that he stays there.

On is there one particular group you like to watch on the field at practice

I'm trying to watch it all. I can't zero in on one position, so I'm trying to watch it all.

On you watching the defense more today, anything particular you are looking for

I just like to see what kind of progress they're making. I don't get to spend a whole lot of time with them when we get into team and all those things. So being able to watch them during individual and

all their group work, listening to what they're putting in and how they're installing it, is important to me.
This post was edited on 3/24 10:38 PM by Andrew Jones

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News