ADVERTISEMENT

First Team Meeting

Just found this on youtube and wanted to share.

The best thing said is Mack saying that the distance from where they are now (coming from 2-9) to where the National Championship teams just were is not as far as they think.

That's what I've said all along. If the 2018 Heels had been really well coached, that bunch of players could have been 8-3 Coastal champs. Mack also said that while the distance is not as great as they think, it will take a lot of hard work to cover it.

I also liked hearing Mack say that he should have been in the National Championship 5 times, rather than just 2.

Reactions: JimmyinVA
He looked so emotional that I think it kinda scared those kids.

The fans have bought in, hopefully the players will too. As often the case, the players really liked Fed & most of the prior staff.

Every good team has good leadership from players. Mack needs to sell that eskimo-icecream to some of upper class men.

coaching should get us to at least .500 next year.
no one lost more close games then us.
excepting clemson we aren't that far behind everyone else.

He also said it's the best staff he's hired in 30 years.
I hope he's right, because if so, next year will be a total turn around, as in maybe 9-3 and no worse than 2nd in the Coastal.

And if that happens, recruiting will go through the ceiling. Unlike with Fedora's 11 win team, HS coaches and players will feel confident that the UNC program is making a big improvement that should last.

The future is bright for this program. The players have to work hard and buy in to the new coaching staff. If those things happen, this team will get better.

He looked so emotional that I think it kinda scared those kids.

The fans have bought in, hopefully the players will too. As often the case, the players really liked Fed & most of the prior staff.

Every good team has good leadership from players. Mack needs to sell that eskimo-icecream to some of upper class men.
Mack knows all about the problem of players really liking the former staff. He inherited a UNC team the first time that dearly loved the Crum staff, including Crum himself. Many players were so adamantly dismayed by the coaching change that they never could their hearts back into it under Mack. A few were rather openly hostile.

Mack's HUGE mistake then was not keeping Randy Walker. If he'd kept Walker, most of that lingering disapproval would have been put to bed before Spring practice ended. But it lasted hard for the entire first season, which doomed Year 2 as well.

I think Howell was a 2019 recruit all along. He just enrolled early.
Right.

So for 2019, assuming no one transfers, at QB we will have Fortin and Ruder as redshirt freshmen and Howell as a true freshman.

Mack knows all about the problem of players really liking the former staff. He inherited a UNC team the first time that dearly loved the Crum staff, including Crum himself. Many players were so adamantly dismayed by the coaching change that they never could their hearts back into it under Mack. A few were rather openly hostile.

Mack's HUGE mistake then was not keeping Randy Walker. If he'd kept Walker, most of that lingering disapproval would have been put to bed before Spring practice ended. But it lasted hard for the entire first season, which doomed Year 2 as well.
Almost every coach goes thru this, Fed saw it several yrs, especially with defensive guys. I don't think he won over the defensive guys truly until he hired Chizik.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT