ADVERTISEMENT

Five Game Hiatus From a 3 Year Sh*t Show

sjheel72

All-American
Gold Member
Oct 21, 2002
Yes, with this core group of players, it started in Roy's last year. Other than last year's tournament run this group has had a most difficult time putting the ball in the basket. With the exception of last March's performance these players have frustrated their coaches (to the point of Roy hanging it up) and the UNC fan base.
Don't get me wrong. As a fan I am truly grateful for the end of last season. Beat Dook twice and had a 15 point lead with 20 minutes to go to an NCAA Championship. Starting with the 2nd half vs Kansas and continuing through what we all hope will be hitting the bottom last night, I have been frustrated to the point that this team losing games no longer bothers me like it used to. Realizing that I shouldn't let UNC winning or losing basketball games eat at me as it has throughout my 60+ years as a fan, I've finally reached my point of resignation. I've had it. If this team can turn it around and start shooting the ball and winning games, that will be great. For me to reinvest it's going to take much more than a couple of wins at the DES. I'll be looking for multiple players to start making shots coupled with some serious effort and desire on defense.

Once it became evident that we weren't going to come back from last night's early deficit, while I kept watching, I had no expectation that there would be a comeback win. Before the game was completely out of reach this group once again demonstrated their inability to shoot the ball. Heels were 1-11 from 3 in the 1st half and when they did make a couple of shots at the rim or inside the arc, Wake just drained a few (wide open) 3's and extended their margin.

Even with this season's 5-0 start (against inferior competition), every team that played the Heels was not intimidated and there was no sense that our guys were physically superior to any team they played. Simply, this team is not that athletically gifted and is truly "the gang that can't shoot straight".

I'll keep watching and hoping for a turnaround, but, to date, I have seen nothing that would lead me to believe that a repeat of March 2022 is in the cards.

• Angry
Reactions: NoseButt and ncjeff
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News