ADVERTISEMENT

Five-star wing Caleb Wilson wins Peach Jam, breaks down recruitment. No Mention Of UNC.

Has Carolina ever landed a Klutch sports kid? Aren’t they a highest bidder type agency? I believe Aaron Bradshaw who never visited was also a Klutch kid?

I thought we were good with him, still might be.. idk ... seems things changed some when coach S got involved......

Klutch is always looking for the biggest paycheck. UNC never offers the biggest NIL paycheck. Seems obvious where this recruitment is heading. I'm starting to wonder if we'll land a single 5 star recruit in this class.

So does anybody not on my ignore list have any intel on CW's recruitment?

I feel it is cooling but I do not know why

So does anybody not on my ignore list have any intel on CW's recruitment?

I feel it is cooling but I do not know why
We were in very good shape until some out$ide factor$ got involved.
I don't know that we're completely out, but suffice to say it ain't the all-but-lock it once was....

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
Well it did say he plans on going to a UNC game this year…If we have no chance with him I would rather invite another kid because we all know what game he is coming to at UNC…Coach Davis should tell him ask dook for tickets…

Oh well. Hopefully, Hubs can stay in good standing, but If it turns out that there are handlers or outsized money demands, I say I'm fine watching him play for someone else! I love the kid's talent and believe he will be a really good pro!

Well it did say he plans on going to a UNC game this year…If we have no chance with him I would rather invite another kid because we all know what game he is coming to at UNC…Coach Davis should tell him ask dook for tickets…

I’m guessing the Boozers are in his ear & he’s going to follow them to dook.

When will kids learn that package deals seldom work out for ALL parties! They team up and think they will take college by storm; only to realize college is an ornery beast and they should be looking for the best fit for themselves!

Both kids could help a college team but I really like the cut of Peat's jib. I hate this is happening!

So is UNC just being outbid for these kids…
Without putting it in binary terms, yes, in that other programs are utilizing $$ sources/methods that (hopefully) will soon be reined in, and in many cases are illegal even under the currect dysfunctional NCAA regime

Meanwhile, in a nutshell, many top kids are being bought as HS underclassmen and steered accordingly through HS/AAU to college. And even if they're not under control. it's a Wild West nightmare. I know personally of an instance in which 3 separate "agents" presented themselves as representing the SAME damn kid to a college coach down here --- all of whom had their hands out (of course).

As we've discussed before on here, on one hand UNC is an advantageous position vis-a-vis NIL because of the brand (there's no better brand, in fact), and thus the kid's ability to grow his own brand. However, that organic side (which is what NIL was supposed to be about) is being circumvented by deep-pocketed boosters, outsiders, agents and runners. Hell, it's basically like if they had legalized World Wide Wes back in the day.

Until the new NCAA Pres can restore some order (if frigging ever), UNC is gonna have to hope to land kids like Eliot, Ian and Drake who understand why they're playing college ball and are confident in their own abilities to establish themselves as marketable players without having to be hired-by-the-top-bidder as mercenaries.

Hell, now I'm chuckling as I type this, because itronically it sort of puts us back where were were pre-NIL trying to do things right while going up against the Calipari's of the world...

Our NIL has been outbid all offseason. I expect that will just continue with the class of 2025.

It appears that most of our recruiting board for 2025 has been revamped as the early offer kids are mostly trending elsewhere.

• Angry
Reactions: OldSchoo01
As of now I don't think there's a single 5-star recruit in 2025 that is trending towards UNC. That's unsettling considering we'll have multiple starting spots available. We seemed to be on such a high when Elliot Cadeau committed in Dec '22 and Ian Jackson committed in Jan '23. Now here we are in the late summer of 2024, our NIL constantly getting outbid, and it's been 18 months since we've landed an impact player from the high school ranks.

I get that maybe we might not be as underhanded as some other schools, but the returns from the transfer portal for a big this year and then again in 2025 ‘if’ things shake out as how some are suggesting here just seem to imply something is not working with our recruiting strategy for top talent at the moment - or we are in quite a run of bad luck.

I get that maybe we might not be as underhanded as some other schools, but the returns from the transfer portal for a big this year and then again in 2025 ‘if’ things shake out as how some are suggesting here just seem to imply something is not working with our recruiting strategy for top talent at the moment - or we are in quite a run of bad luck.
We're getting outbid.

Remember all these kids have agents, and agents get a percentage. So it's in the agents best interest to advise these kids to take the biggest paycheck they are offered. I imagine that's what the agents at Klutch are doing with Caleb Wilson.

• Haha
Reactions: Archer2
Without putting it in binary terms, yes, in that other programs are utilizing $$ sources/methods that (hopefully) will soon be reined in, and in many cases are illegal even under the currect dysfunctional NCAA regime

Meanwhile, in a nutshell, many top kids are being bought as HS underclassmen and steered accordingly through HS/AAU to college. And even if they're not under control. it's a Wild West nightmare. I know personally of an instance in which 3 separate "agents" presented themselves as representing the SAME damn kid to a college coach down here --- all of whom had their hands out (of course).

As we've discussed before on here, on one hand UNC is an advantageous position vis-a-vis NIL because of the brand (there's no better brand, in fact), and thus the kid's ability to grow his own brand. However, that organic side (which is what NIL was supposed to be about) is being circumvented by deep-pocketed boosters, outsiders, agents and runners. Hell, it's basically like if they had legalized World Wide Wes back in the day.

Until the new NCAA Pres can restore some order (if frigging ever), UNC is gonna have to hope to land kids like Eliot, Ian and Drake who understand why they're playing college ball and are confident in their own abilities to establish themselves as marketable players without having to be hired-by-the-top-bidder as mercenaries.

Hell, now I'm chuckling as I type this, because itronically it sort of puts us back where were were pre-NIL trying to do things right while going up against the Calipari's of the world...
I am not sure how many any this younger generation care about the UNC brand or making a 40 year decision…It’s all about now and me…

I don't see any bad luck so far. I also think it a bit early to call 2025 an issue. 2024 Portal needs were shooting and help at the 4/5. We got both even though we missed exactly 2 peeps who we wanted. I think our overall recruiting, which has rebounded back to the top of college bball, is trending in the right direction, but I often take the long view! I would be willing to bet that we do better than the teams that got our misses too! (or we find that we dodged some bullets)

We have the greatest alumni in all of college sports, there's no reason we should be outbid for any kid for any sport. MJ needs to join the Carolina NIL collective and make his financial presence felt here. That is all.

We have the greatest alumni in all of college sports, there's no reason we should be outbid for any kid for any sport. MJ needs to join the Carolina NIL collective and make his financial presence felt here. That is all.
We have a lot of rich alumni beyond MJ. It's up to our NIL leadership to convince them it's worthwhile to pay recruits/transfers. As we've seen the past few months, the collective isn't getting the job done.

BTW Julius Halaifonua just scheduled a visit to Georgetown. We're getting very close to adding GTown to the list of schools who outbid UNC this summer.

We have a lot of rich alumni beyond MJ. It's up to our NIL leadership to convince them it's worthwhile to pay recruits/transfers. As we've seen the past few months, the collective isn't getting the job done.

BTW Julius Halaifonua just scheduled a visit to Georgetown. We're getting very close to adding GTown to the list of schools who outbid UNC this summer.
**yaaawwwnnn***

• Haha
I am not sure how many any this younger generation care about the UNC brand or making a 40 year decision…It’s all about now and me…
Well, what I meant by that was the ability to cash in while at UNC, which organically is better than pretty much anywhere --- constant national TV, iconic blue-blood, etc...
Others are putting cash up front without the kid doing anything.

Well, what I meant by that was the ability to cash in while at UNC, which organically is better than pretty much anywhere --- constant national TV, iconic blue-blood, etc...
Others are putting cash up front without the kid doing anything.
Yea I agree with you but I just wonder moving forward how many Ian Jackson and Drake Powell are left for UNC and also EC..

I have no faith at all in the NCAA to do anything…They are pretty much a lame duck now…

As long as Coach Davis can win at a high level all is well but make no mistake if things start to slip they will come for him…

Bacot made a truckload of money the way NIL was supposed to operate. You go to a school, prove yourself, and get rewarded by companies who want you to be in their advertisements.

But high profile recruits and transfers don't care about that. They want the big check up front in exchange for their commitment.

UNC isn't above offering them NIL money up front. We just aren't offering as much as the schools that are beating us for these recruits. So we don't really have any moral high ground to stand on, like we used to when Anthony Davis' father was asking for cash and Roy just stopped recruiting him. We're just not getting it done in the arms race that is NIL recruiting.

If we backtrack and take a wider view of UNC recruiting, things have been going south for about 18 months. We were on top of the world when Cadeau committed in Dec '22 and Jackson committed in Jan '23. In the 18 months since then we have landed exactly zero elite high school players, and the only high profile recruiting battle we have won is beating out Kansas for Harrison Ingram on the transfer market.

As things currently stand we missed on all the top starting centers in the 2024 transfer portal, meaning we were unable to fill the biggest hole on our roster. It also appears that every single top 2025 recruit that we have put in time with on the recruiting trail will not be choosing UNC unless something drastic changes. I think it's safe to say that there needs to be a major change with recruiting and NIL at UNC, or else we are really going to struggle after Davis graduates and Cadeau/Jackson move on to the NBA.

It makes sense that all the "dirty" money would now be funneled exclusively to OAD, instant-impact kids since there is a high likelihood that they might transfer before they improve in years 2, 3 or 4.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT