ADVERTISEMENT

For the Fedora haters - Which ACC coaches would you swap him with?

Losing to SCar will probably piss me off, but what if they're a top 10 on that neutral field and we barely lose because a ref misreads an onsides kick or doesn't see the facemask on the QB on the final play of the gm down 6 pts.

Scar recruiting classes:
15 - 19th (5th yrs for 2019 gm)
16 - 26th
17 - 16th
18 - 17th

15 - 22
16 - 28
17 - 30
18 - 44 at present

They probably have decent foundation for talent, and they can add some juco freak 4* in a position of need more easily than we can.

If they are mediocre and we lose then that type of loss should add flames under the hotseat, but I can't judge on objectives without seeing rankings, actual on field play, etc. So I guess I like win totals as an objective measure, but not things like season opener or bowl (since the opponent could be Bama).

blazers, I understand the season opener comment and you're right about being pleased if we lose the opener and then go undefeated. That's almost what happened in 15. I look at the season opener in 2 ways. We're generally playing someone similar to several other teams on our schedule (talent wise) and winning the opener should give us and the team confidence when playing those teams - losing the opener does just the opposite. The second thing is whether the coaching staff has the team ready for the season by game one or not. Have we determined our best QB yet or do we have to suffer through the rotation again. Have we found a defensive scheme we can actually run or do we have to scrap it after game two again. Things like that. Also we've had a few season openers that were on regional or national TV over the last few years and it would be nice to win one of those games with the potential recruits watching.

blazers, I understand the season opener comment and you're right about being pleased if we lose the opener and then go undefeated. That's almost what happened in 15. I look at the season opener in 2 ways. We're generally playing someone similar to several other teams on our schedule (talent wise) and winning the opener should give us and the team confidence when playing those teams - losing the opener does just the opposite. The second thing is whether the coaching staff has the team ready for the season by game one or not. Have we determined our best QB yet or do we have to suffer through the rotation again. Have we found a defensive scheme we can actually run or do we have to scrap it after game two again. Things like that. Also we've had a few season openers that were on regional or national TV over the last few years and it would be nice to win one of those games with the potential recruits watching.
I agree, playing some similar talent-wise, esp on TV, need to be won. So yeah, if Fed is only going to only win X number of games, the ones that are openers vs similar talent need to be circled on his list.

2018 is Cal, this fits within your list, though it will be moot if we win the next 10 straight, 2019 is probably either SCar or ACC, but that could possibly be Clemson which probably wouldn't fit.

Woad is dropping all these absolute rules which weren't met despite me thinking that 2012 and 2016 were really good seasons. Not great, but certainly above average for UNC and most ACC teams. So that makes me dismiss these types of absolutes... he also isn't proud of 2015, so that probably makes me biased against his posts though.

Last edited:
Understood blazers. I look at the schedule each year and think about games as should win, could win and hope to win. Games like UVA and Duke at home are should wins for me. GT and VT are could wins (but need to move to should wins at home if we are going to take the next step). Need to win over half of the could win games. Usually gets us to 7 - 9 wins based on our normal schedule - then we would get a bowl game too. That's how I base my expectations.

I do think that woad is right about stringing together good seasons as being a necessity for building a program. Otherwise people will say a year like 15 was an abnormality, pretty much like many say 17 was.

Sounds like we need a 2018 win-loss projection thread. Tonight is the last nite for announcing NFL early. I think there is a tiny chance Fritts or Dalton or someone like that could try to go early, obviously stuff that might change my prediction.

Yea blazers, I was doing a 2 year projection thinking Fed has 2 more years to get us on track or get fired. A 3 or 4 win season next year might be the end but I don't see that happening. Two more years to get us back on track seems fair to me. Three poor seasons in a row (injuries or not) is time to move on - very little chance of coming back from that without a house cleaning.

Sounds like we need a 2018 win-loss projection thread. Tonight is the last nite for announcing NFL early. I think there is a tiny chance Fritts or Dalton or someone like that could try to go early, obviously stuff that might change my prediction.

ask and you shall receive

http://footballscoop.com/news/army-go-2-10-10-3-2-year-span-jeff-monken-explains/

How did Army go from 2-10 to 10-3 in a 2-year span? Jeff Monken explains
y8Ea8jB.gif

Reactions: TarHeelMark
Says the Clemson student.....don't you need to help with the next generation of featherless chickens instead of worrying about Carolina football?

Says the Clemson student.....don't you need to help with the next generation of featherless chickens instead of worrying about Carolina football?

Lol I've been a UNC fan a lot longer than I've been a Clemson student.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT