ADVERTISEMENT

Four-star WR Andre Greene to commit Wednesday on CBS Sports HQ

Downs stepped up big in the Orange Bowl last year. We did not have any WR stepping up at all most of this season until the past couple of games. So there is plenty of opportunity to earn PT immediately.

Of course, we have other heavily recruited WRs who are among those who either have not played more than a few downs in the final minute or else have shown very little when on the field. Is that because they were overrated as recruits? Because they have not gotten the coaching they need? Because they are lazy and/or slow learners?

So did UGA. You have to recruit where the players are. In this class, VA has a lot of talent.
Well, if Brown rounds-up a lot of talent, then the staff has to turn it all into W's and not L's on the records. I'm not expecting much, regardless of the level of talent. There has to be a major shift in the culture of UNC Football for it to make a difference. UNC Football hasn't had a winning culture since 1997. That's 25 years of mediocre.

Well, if Brown rounds-up a lot of talent, then the staff has to turn it all into W's and not L's on the records. I'm not expecting much, regardless of the level of talent. There has to be a major shift in the culture of UNC Football for it to make a difference. UNC Football hasn't had a winning culture since 1997. That's 25 years of mediocre.
I opposed the Torbush hire the way I opposed Searels being hired by Mack: 100%. And you could see the results in body language before the 1998 season ended. The players no longer carried themselves as if they felt they were championship material. They projected that they were middle of the road.

Do you think 70 year old Mack can instill that championship culture? Mack's final Texas teams lost it.

I opposed the Torbush hire the way I opposed Searels being hired by Mack: 100%. And you could see the results in body language before the 1998 season ended. The players no longer carried themselves as if they felt they were championship material. They projected that they were middle of the road.

Do you think 70 year old Mack can instill that championship culture? Mack's final Texas teams lost it.
He's a great recruiter. I'm not sure if he and his staff will ever be able to consistently win more than 8 games a season.

Wow. I get it, we underperformed this year. Not by much. Actually, if we had pulled out Pitt and beat state we would be right about where most people predicted. People act like Mack has pulled in all 5 stars. I am hoping we get a top 10 class this year, but have we ever had one? Mack has changed our recruiting classes from hovering around 25 to being between 10 to 15. Does one year with a top 15 class mean we suddenly should be contending for the playoff.
I am disappointed in this year, mostly because Sam Howell is special and I had hoped for a little magic that got him to the ACC championship.
Mack keeps recruiting well. If he lands a top 10 class it will be something that has not been done at UNC for a while. If our defense could hold a team to 21 points things would be fun.
I am concerned that next year will be difficult with a new quarterback at the helm, but I look forward to eventually seeing what Mack's team will look like with Juniors and Seniors he recruited.

Wow. I get it, we underperformed this year. Not by much. Actually, if we had pulled out Pitt and beat state we would be right about where most people predicted.
Not sure how much more inaccurate you can be. We were predicted to be a top 10 team and a dark horse playoff contender. We aren't anywhere near that.

ETA: You can make an argument that the expectations weren't fair, but that doesn't change what was expected.

Last edited:
Wow. I get it, we underperformed this year. Not by much. Actually, if we had pulled out Pitt and beat state we would be right about where most people predicted. People act like Mack has pulled in all 5 stars. I am hoping we get a top 10 class this year, but have we ever had one? Mack has changed our recruiting classes from hovering around 25 to being between 10 to 15. Does one year with a top 15 class mean we suddenly should be contending for the playoff.
I am disappointed in this year, mostly because Sam Howell is special and I had hoped for a little magic that got him to the ACC championship.
Mack keeps recruiting well. If he lands a top 10 class it will be something that has not been done at UNC for a while. If our defense could hold a team to 21 points things would be fun.
I am concerned that next year will be difficult with a new quarterback at the helm, but I look forward to eventually seeing what Mack's team will look like with Juniors and Seniors he recruited.
Next year will be Mack's 4th season. All true Seniors and younger players will be his recruits. More to the point, it does not require a coach 4 or 5 years to make a team 'his.' If that hasn't happened by the start of Year 2, the program is in trouble. UNC was Mack's team buy the 1st game of the 2019 season.

The problem is that with the exception of recruiting, this year has been a regression. That will make any fan base take a deep breath, but when the coach is 70? It is scary.

Not sure how much more inaccurate you can be. We were predicted to be a top 10 team and a dark horse playoff contender. We aren't anywhere near that.

ETA: You can make an argument that the expectations weren't fair, but that doesn't change what was expected.
I think the expectations were reasonable. The media knew the potential. And I have no trouble seeing how the team could be undefeated now. I think it makes much more sense to expect the team to be at least 9-1 now, than to accept that losing to VT, FSU, and GT can be excused.

Sorry for any inaccuracies. I did not go back and try to look up the predictions, but just went off of memory. It gets fuzzy sometimes, but I thought there were main stream predictions around 8. I thought predictions we could/should win the ACC were appropriate and I am disappointed with the outcome this year. However, thinking that Mack Brown is not a positive influence on the direction of UNC football would be an inaccuracy in my book, and anyone who thinks that a few top 15 recruiting classes means we are underperforming if we are not a top 10 team is crazy. I hope Mack can coach a few more years and continue to build depth, and that we can find a great coach to continue the momentum. I like the direction UNC is headed.

I think the expectations were reasonable. The media knew the potential. And I have no trouble seeing how the team could be undefeated now. I think it makes much more sense to expect the team to be at least 9-1 now, than to accept that losing to VT, FSU, and GT can be excused.
If we were 9-1, you’d still be bitchin’.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT