ADVERTISEMENT

Garrett Riley heading to Clemson

We had a couple of people earlier talkingbup young Riley as the kind of guy that UNC should perhaps approach as HC in waiting. MY response was that Mack's ego would never agree to any such thing, which means that too get Riley, UNC would need to fire Mack and just hire him as HC.

I suppose that could now become Bubba's plan, but to do so after Riley is inn the ACC a couple of seasons as Clemson OC. That will get him deep into the ACC.

But the key is that Bubba must be able to fire Mack.

We had a couple of people earlier talkingbup young Riley as the kind of guy that UNC should perhaps approach as HC in waiting. MY response was that Mack's ego would never agree to any such thing, which means that too get Riley, UNC would need to fire Mack and just hire him as HC.

I suppose that could now become Bubba's plan, but to do so after Riley is inn the ACC a couple of seasons as Clemson OC. That will get him deep into the ACC.

Regardless of Mack's ego, UNC wasn't going to pay Riley 2M a year, which is what Clemson is giving him. Bubba didn't hire Mack, and isn't going to fire Mack.

Reactions: tarheel0910
Regardless of Mack's ego, UNC wasn't going to pay Riley 2M a year, which is what Clemson is giving him. Bubba didn't hire Mack, and isn't going to fire Mack.
And that is a major issue: boosters, most of them at least as interested in basketball, run the UNC AD.

Not sure he would even have considered coming here. We know at least one person turned us down. Wouldn't surprise me if it was him.
The only way UNC could have gotten him was the only way FSU could have gotten Jimbo: the old man in the way had to agree that the new OC was HC in waiting and the wait had a definite short time limit.

Mack and the Big Money who back Mack, and every other mediocre UNC football coach, are THE problem.

Clemson football will be even more dominant.
More dominant than what? Dabo is feeling the heat for the first time since he started. Had the easiest path to the CFB this year and couldn't make it. First time in over a decade he's fired an assistant. Riley had an experienced QB and a 1st round WR at TCU, won't have that at Clemson. Defensive side is where the talent is for Clemson.

More dominant than what? Dabo is feeling the heat for the first time since he started. Had the easiest path to the CFB this year and couldn't make it. First time in over a decade he's fired an assistant. Riley had an experienced QB and a 1st round WR at TCU, won't have that at Clemson. Defensive side is where the talent is for Clemson.
More dominant than before.

Reactions: Dackel

Dabo is not feeling any heat. They’ll put up a statue of him whenever he decides to retire.

Dabo is not feeling any heat. They’ll put up a statue of him whenever he decides to retire.
I obviously didn't imply he was near getting fired. He had a run between 2014-2018 where he lost 5 combined games in 5 seasons. He's lost 8 in his last 3 and just fired a coach for the first time in over a decade. He now just witnessed a coach win back-to-back titles, and it wasn't Nick Saban. Not many coaches want to win more than Dabo, and he absolutely is feeling heat (almost all of it within himself) to get back on top.

Bubba doesn't have a pair.

Bubba doesn't have a pair.
It's funny that after all this time, you think the AD position at UNC comes with the power to fire a football coach. I bet you're even crazy enough to think they have power over basketball too.

It's funny that after all this time, you think the AD position at UNC comes with the power to fire a football coach. I bet you're even crazy enough to think they have power over basketball too.
Dean Smith always looked at Dick Baddour as if to proclaim: we both know who actually is in charge of whom, and thus also in charge of most of the rest of what happens with UNC sports.

The last man to try to change that was Bill Dooley. He knew that if he could be made AD as well as football HC, he could lead UNC to the very top of football. He knew that he could do what Danny Ford did at Clemson the year after the last of the players coached at UNC by Dooley left. But UNC's permanent confederacy of dunces acted to make certain that non-entities like Baddour would technically rule the roost for basketball. Swofford was a 'football guy' who would play the role in order to get to the top.

Reactions: bluetoe
Another OC moves: Kendal Briles leaving Arkansas for TCU. Duggan is graduating but Duggann was the #2 QB to open the 2022 season. The starter was Chandler Morris, which then got injured. So Briles has a proven QB to work with.

Dan Enos is expected to leave Maryland to be Arkansas OC, which job he held previously before. year under Nick Saban.

ADVERTISEMENT