ADVERTISEMENT

Georgia Tech fires Geoff Collins

WoadBlue

Hall of Famer
Aug 15, 2008
Not waiting for more crap, and getting early start on finding a replacement.

Saw this coming a mile away
Anytime GT has a competent coach, the Jackets cause trouble for UNC. If I were GT, I would want to know if Jamey Chadwell is interested. I also would be happy to talk to Clay Helton. Helton began his coaching career at Dook. He has won a Rose Bowl as HC, and this year he is at GA Southern, with a 3-1 record.

And then I would look carefully over the Nick Saban staff. Bill O'Brien likely will not leave Bama except as HC for a major brand name program, or a very obvious sleeping giant, but Tide DC Pete Golding might see GT as a good spot to start as HC. Any coach with Saban experience is going to be welcomed by all kinds of boosters and general fans as well as HS coaches across the South.

AS speculated by many GT fans yesterday, AD Todd Stansbury also was fired. GT is not going to risk another bad hire. There is too much at stake.

They should probably end things with getting rid of the basketball coach also.... I live in Atlanta and Tech used to be a formidable opponent in basketball and football but have somehow lost there way. Atlanta is an awesome sports city and good Tech teams every year should be a part of that. It would be good for the city.

Reactions: -COUNTRY-CLUB-JOE-
Luke Fickell is 49 and this is now his 6th yr at p5 cincy, so not young - but yeah, I wouldn't mind that pick if we could afford to keep him. He's a defensive-minded guy so at least he could make use of some the D talent we "supposedly" have on the roster.

Generally I'm partial to an offensive-minded HC, but I think either is better than the CEO approach.

Fedora was relatively young when we hired him. Youth doesn't really mean much in coaching. It's all a roll of the dice. You just have to hope you get lucky.
It really is... they're all just a spin of the wheel. It's pretty amazing how it works out. It's a total gamble. And, even if you do roll a winner, if you're not an established powerhouse, you're just going to lose your prize to one of those programs when their successful coach leaves or struggles.

That's why we should be thrilled about our basketball program. Look at all the schools that never have championship-level success in any of the high revenue sports.

UNC is a basketball school, not a football school. It never will be a football school.

It really is... they're all just a spin of the wheel. It's pretty amazing how it works out. It's a total gamble. And, even if you do roll a winner, if you're not an established powerhouse, you're just going to lose your prize to one of those programs when their successful coach leaves or struggles.

That's why we should be thrilled about our basketball program. Look at all the schools that never have championship-level success in any of the high revenue sports.

UNC is a basketball school, not a football school. It never will be a football school.
Yeah, even good coaches can have bad results, because they just don't fit the school. Location, money, fans, etc all play a part. All that has to be in alignment for a coach to be successful. It's always safe to assume your next coach won't be better. Not saying you shouldn't try, just that you probably shouldn't get your hopes up just because there's a new name on the door.

Of course there’s no guarantee that a new coach will create a top 25 team, at any age, unless you hire a top coach like Saban, Riley, etc… And let’s face it, UNC isn’t going to get one of those coaches. Our hope is to hire a younger, hungry coach who would take the job. Hell, Fickell might not even accept the job if offered. But I’d sure be putting out feelers.

Of course there’s no guarantee that a new coach will create a top 25 team, at any age, unless you hire a top coach like Saban, Riley, etc… And let’s face it, UNC isn’t going to get one of those coaches. Our hope is to hire a younger, hungry coach who would take the job. Hell, Fickell might not even accept the job if offered. But I’d sure be putting out feelers.
The downside to hiring young is that if he is successful, then he would be more likely to leave for a better job. You could say hire someone in that middle age range 50-60 who would be less likely to leave and hope he turns it into a destination job. That was the hope with Mack this time around, but it's not looking good.

They should probably end things with getting rid of the basketball coach also.... I live in Atlanta and Tech used to be a formidable opponent in basketball and football but have somehow lost there way. Atlanta is an awesome sports city and good Tech teams every year should be a part of that. It would be good for the city.
Very talent rich area as well.

Reactions: ACokeForRoy
Luke Fickell is 49 and this is now his 6th yr at p5 cincy, so not young - but yeah, I wouldn't mind that pick if we could afford to keep him. He's a defensive-minded guy so at least he could make use of some the D talent we "supposedly" have on the roster.

Generally I'm partial to an offensive-minded HC, but I think either is better than the CEO approach.
Fickell is a pure 100% Ohio guy. I think he will leave Cincy only for a top job, with the BT his clear preference.

The downside to hiring young is that if he is successful, then he would be more likely to leave for a better job. You could say hire someone in that middle age range 50-60 who would be less likely to leave and hope he turns it into a destination job. That was the hope with Mack this time around, but it's not looking good.
He was a decade too old for that. No coach at age 70 has ever been better than he was at his prime. No coach at age 75 is better than he was at 55. Mack's age would be looming even if last year we had been Coastal champs and this year had upset ND.

UNC was a 'football school ' from its sports inception until Frank McGuire wionm the 1957 National Championship.

What would happen if we had a Dabo Swinney who won a National Championship in football?

UNC was a 'football school ' from its sports inception until Frank McGuire wionm the 1957 National Championship.

What would happen if we had a Dabo Swinney who won a National Championship in football?
Okay, that was 66 years ago, or something. 66 years, in our culture is... forever. 66 years ago, college sports was basically on a different planet. If UNC was a good football school, it might have been when Justice was on the team, which was even further away, historically.

We are a basketball school. Be glad UNC is a powerhouse in one of the big-time sports. There are a thousand schools that are never a perennial powerhouse in anything.

If "we had a Dabo Swinney?" Well, as soon as an up-and-coming young coach managed to put together a championship-level team, he'd get bought-off by one of the dozen or so perennial powerhouse college football programs that are struggling, and UNC would be back to where they have always been. It kinda sucks, but it's the reality we have to accept.

Okay, that was 66 years ago, or something. 66 years, in our culture is... forever. 66 years ago, college sports was basically on a different planet. If UNC was a good football school, it might have been when Justice was on the team, which was even further away, historically.

We are a basketball school. Be glad UNC is a powerhouse in one of the big-time sports. There are a thousand schools that are never a perennial powerhouse in anything.

If "we had a Dabo Swinney?" Well, as soon as an up-and-coming young coach managed to put together a championship-level team, he'd get bought-off by one of the dozen or so perennial powerhouse college football programs that are struggling, and UNC would be back to where they have always been. It kinda sucks, but it's the reality we have to accept.
The old 'we always have been a basketball school, so be happy' line, which is false. But is retained even when known to be false.

I do not mean just the Choo Choo years, nor just about winning games. I mean that for a very long time UNC football was a very big draw for the era, while UNC basketball played in a trendy dump - Woolen gym. Woolens was the UNC gym in 1957, not for classes but for UNC basketball.

Yes, Big Time winning in football would change that again, with UNC football becoming huge for students and alums. Knowing that is a main reason that many UNC football boosters would love to see the ACC crumble as long as UNC got into the SEC. SEC membership would facilitate UNC football regaining what it once was in terms of large fan support.

I do not want there ACC to die, or be rendered non-Major, nor do I want to see CFB reduced essentially to 2 Major conferences. But if that is what it takes to set UNC on track with football, then so be it.

The old 'we always have been a basketball school, so be happy' line, which is false. But is retained even when known to be false.

I do not mean just the Choo Choo years, nor just about winning games. I mean that for a very long time UNC football was a very big draw for the era, while UNC basketball played in a trendy dump - Woolen gym. Woolens was the UNC gym in 1957, not for classes but for UNC basketball.

Yes, Big Time winning in football would change that again, with UNC football becoming huge for students and alums. Knowing that is a main reason that many UNC football boosters would love to see the ACC crumble as long as UNC got into the SEC. SEC membership would facilitate UNC football regaining what it once was in terms of large fan support.

I do not want there ACC to die, or be rendered non-Major, nor do I want to see CFB reduced essentially to 2 Major conferences. But if that is what it takes to set UNC on track with football, then so be it.
UNC is a basketball school.

What makes you think that joining the SEC would ”facilitate UNC football regaining what it once was in terms of large fan support“? UNC will never be a football powerhouse. Nor do I want them to do the things that would be required to do so. I’m sure you would be okay with UNC doing anything that would turn our university into a football factory like Bama, Georgia, OSU, etc… And if you’re correct in saying many UNC boosters “would love to see the ACC crumble as long as UNC got into the SEC”, that’s a shame. It’s selling your collective souls to the devil. And for what? Is it worth the additional millions just to be a perennial doormat like SC, Vanderbilt, and the other bottom feeders, with no chance to win the conference? I think not.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT