Glaring weakness!!!!!
Thread startertarwhiz Start date21 minutes ago TagsNone
Unwatch

•••
tarwhiz
All-ACC Gold Member
21 minutes ago
Add bookmark
We have continuously talked about our shortcomings at the point guard position on this forum, and it is without a doubt an on going problem. It doesn't matter if it is just because of youth and inexperience or just a bad fit position wise. Something is wrong and we can only hope it gets better with time..
That is not the glaring weakness that I want to speak on with this post however.
I believe an even bigger problem and one that will NOT be remedied this season, and maybe not next season, is our lack of a skilled power forward.
We all like to talk about the Carolina system of two bigs as them being interchangeable. It many ways they are, but in other ways they need to be very different in how they attack a defense.
We currently do not have a single big on our roster that can make a play with the ball from the top of the key.
Why is this important? Because EVERY secondary break results with a big in that spot. Every reversal of the ball in the half court ultimately ends up with a big in that spot, and game after game, after game, none of our bigs are even given a second look when they have the ball in that spot. Usually the man guarding them is tucked away nicely at the block/ charge arc begging our big to shoot or put it on the floor.
I recall ONE freaking time this year where a big put the ball on the floor and got to the rim from the top of the key. Bacot a few games ago got there with two dribbles and a left hand layup with little defense against him.
What has happened thst we don't have a guy on this roster that is capable of making a play from that position? The power forward spot, every bit as much as the pg spot, has defined great UNC teams over the years.
Just since Roy has been back.........
Jawad Williams, Marvin Williams, Deon, Thompson, Tyler Hansbrough, John Henson, Isiah Hicks, Luke Maye all possessed the ability to not only consistently knock down 15-18 ft jump shots, but also the ability to put the ball on the floor and go around or through a defender to make a play.
Where is that guy on this roster? Bacot has wonderful post moves but will be an undersized professional big lacking faceup skillsets. Brooks lack of size hurts him even more so than Bacot, so a skillset ( That he is lacking) is even more important. Sharpe is a big, raw youngster that looks like a 5th grade big anytime he tries to bounce the basketball. Will he evolve? Gosh I hope so, but a limited skill Center may be his ceiling in the NBA.
Maybe the big with the best chance to become that guy is Walker Kessler? Limited viewings make me hesitate to declare my feelings, but safe to say THAT AIN'T HAPPENING this year.
In conclusion the 4 spot may be the crucible of all our problems even more so than pg this season.
I welcome feed back. This is the lowest I have felt about this team all season.
Last edited: 6 minutes ago
Quote ReplyReport •••

Preview
Share:
Facebook
Twitter
Reddit
Pinterest
Tumblr
WhatsApp
Email
Link
Four Corners
Edit
tarwhiz
All-ACC
Reaction score
Trophy points
Latest posts
uncfootball-
UNC vs Duke game
Latest: uncfootball- A moment ago
Tar Heel Radar
Very brief stuff (Clemson game)....
Latest: Spaceytoyz 1 minute ago
Tar Heel Radar
matt 1976
2021 Targets/Commits Watch (UPDATED 2/3: It’s NSD

Reactions: bobcrane14
Cannot disagree. We have true low post players who are only dangerous on the block and with offensive rebounds.

We can't shoot !!! When our 1 thru 3 positions can't shoot that is the primary issue. The lack of a stretch four is totally secondary, Meeks & Hicks couldn't stretch either. We cannot keep any dee honest from our lack of perimeter threats from our perimeter positions.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChapelHeeled
We can't shoot !!! When our 1 thru 3 positions can't shoot that is the primary issue. The lack of a stretch four is totally secondary, Meeks & Hicks couldn't stretch either. We cannot keep any dee honest from our lack of perimeter threats from our perimeter positions.
I didnt say a "Stretch four"
I said a "skilled four" Big difference. Our bigs can't make basketball plays beyond 8-10 feet from the hoop.

I didnt say a "Stretch four"
I said a "skilled four" Big difference. Our bigs can't make basketball plays beyond 8-10 feet from the hoop.
And yes Hicks became very goid at that 15-18 fot jump shot in his last two years, but he was always solid at putting the ball on the bounce in halfcourt sets.
He was a bad example.
Meeks was just a less athletic Bacot, but he worked because he was coupled with Hicks.

I agree to an extent, not saying our bigs are strong at 15 foot triple threat scenarios. They are limited in that area, but I also firmly believe that the much more pressing issue is the lack of consistent shooting from our 1 thru 3 positions.

The dee they face is SO compacted it gives very little room to dribble drive from a high post. There are bodies sagging inside all over. You guys are correct that we shoot poorly all across the board though.

Perimeter Shooting...Got to have it !

As we have all posted...teams are sagging and pinching to defend in the paint and daring the outside shooters to put it up.

Reactions: ChapelHeeled
Sorry but I don't agree our lack of a "skilled" 4, which for me does read more as a stretch 4 shooter, don't buy that was what Hicks was. Hicks IMO was similar to Brooks, both not bad at the mid range with Brooks being a bit better positional defender inside the paint.

Our problem and what we are so missing is scoring from the 3 spot and poor guard play, specifically point guard play. The lack of scoring from the 3 spot is allowing the lane to get clogged up making inlet passing really difficult and we are not screening real well to free up better position. Bigs have to fight for position and at times we do, watch Sharpe fighting for position, watch Bacot in some recent games (not vs Clemson). Our PGs seem to really struggle in timing the pass to the big man, big man works to get position he needs to get the ball in position to finish, not some pass to his feet or in to the teeth of a double. Now Walton has really helped our spacing since entering the starting line up and teams now know better than to double off of him but they will double down off our wings spot and point. Lack of pure shooting from those spots is allowing that.

No, we do not have that 4 that stretches the floor with the ability to shoot from beyond the arch but really, tell me the last time we did have that guy? Other than that deal of Roy putting PJ in at the 4 spot, we really have had a guy out of the 4 spot that was a knock down shooter and we all know that PJ was not a real 4. Roy wanted Hurt, he wanted Zaire, he has gone after several stretch 4s, he just hasn't got them and we have won nattys without them. WE have won nattys with sweet shooting 3s and PGs that limited TOs and hit open shots consistently. When Theo struggled as a shooter we facilitated much more thru him than we do now thru leaky and that freed Joel up to hunt his open looks but leaky isn't Theo.

I just want a stretch anything! I have seen people say "our biggest weakness is our PG, Shooting, PF Center, FT shooting. Its enough to wonder how we have won anything this year. BUT...I still think our 3 to me is our biggest weakness. Leaky scares no one offensively. When UNC is dangerous is when their 3 or SF can SCORE. Yes Leaky won a game for us. Whoopidie doodah! He also lets 2-3 star recruits look like all stars. Trapp went off against us last game for some reason. We needed to get a Zaire-type (although I didnt like him specifically) player. Looking back ... the years we didnt have a 3 that scored we struggled. But when we had one we were very competitive. I just dread another year of an NBA sized body with guard skills and no offense and average defense being a starter. And possibly another year after that. At some point you have to pull the kid aside and tell him to score 15 a game or we have to go in another direction and go smaller or bigger.

I've seen Sharpe and Kessler deliver some good passes.

Sharpe is hitting .548 from the foul line. That's awful if you are shooting fouls worth a point each, but not too shabby if you are standing on the foul line shooting for 2 points and they aren't bothering to guard you out there.

So we could put Sharpe in the high post. But he's so good around the basket that that would be nuts.

Kessler is shooting only .400 from the foul line. Not enough of a threat.

Bacot and Brooks are better shooters from that location, but neither has shown much in the way of passing chops.

Yeah, yeah, I know that shooting FTs isn't the same as shooting when everybody is moving around, but if the other team is going to leave them alone out there, maybe it isn't a bad measure.

So . . . the point is that the guy who might be a threat out there (Sharpe) is too valuable near the basket to play there. And the rest of the options either can't shoot or can't pass.

I've seen Sharpe and Kessler deliver some good passes.

Sharpe is hitting .548 from the foul line. That's awful if you are shooting fouls worth a point each, but not too shabby if you are standing on the foul line shooting for 2 points and they aren't bothering to guard you out there.

So we could put Sharpe in the high post. But he's so good around the basket that that would be nuts.

Kessler is shooting only .400 from the foul line. Not enough of a threat.

Bacot and Brooks are better shooters from that location, but neither has shown much in the way of passing chops.

Yeah, yeah, I know that shooting FTs isn't the same as shooting when everybody is moving around, but if the other team is going to leave them alone out there, maybe it isn't a bad measure.

So . . . the point is that the guy who might be a threat out there (Sharpe) is too valuable near the basket to play there. And the rest of the options either can't shoot or can't pass.

I do think in time that Sharpe as well as Kessler could develop in to guys that can consistently hit the foul line jumpers but I am not expecting that this season, I do expect it next season to a better degree. I would suggest that as a big part of the reason I think Sharpe is back for a soph season and it could well bring Bacot back for a Jr season.

I do think in time that Sharpe as well as Kessler could develop in to guys that can consistently hit the foul line jumpers but I am not expecting that this season, I do expect it next season to a better degree. I would suggest that as a big part of the reason I think Sharpe is back for a soph season and it could well bring Bacot back for a Jr season.

Very good chance Sharpe won’t be back next year..he’s basically in the first round of every mock draft right now! Let’s hope Bacot comes back...even if he does I think we need to add at least one more big! If both leave Roy is gonna have to work some magic...I think Kessler will end up being great, who knows if Manley will ever play again! Stylez and black could play small ball 4 some! Hopefully everyone comes back but I’m betting on Sharpe being gone

Very good chance Sharpe won’t be back next year..he’s basically in the first round of every mock draft right now! Let’s hope Bacot comes back...even if he does I think we need to add at least one more big! If both leave Roy is gonna have to work some magic...I think Kessler will end up being great, who knows if Manley will ever play again! Stylez and black could play small ball 4 some! Hopefully everyone comes back but I’m betting on Sharpe being gone
Folks told me all last season that Bacot was leaving, when they did I disagreed. Now granted, I am in no way as certain that Sharpe will not leave but this kid has not just lotto potential, he could be #1 over all kind of guy if he comes back for 1 more. I do think the NBA will want him to shoot from the foul line in much more consistently and frankly, the physical mismatches he gets in the college game are not there in the NBA.

I don't want to see the kid rush his NBA entrance like he today rushes a finish deep in the paint, I want him to take the time to be the player that can have a solid NBA career early in. You come in ready to play thru that rookie deal and the big numbers come but come in not ready and those second contract numbers look nothing like they could and some times that second contract does not come because you didn't earn your value during the contract stint.

Sharpe should come back, of course Naz should have as well and didn't but Naz was mind made up before ever stepping on campus, not the case with Sharpe. Honestly, if you do not dominate your better be close to dominating in the college game before you leave early and Sharpe has not consistently dominated and at times he has struggled to keep up. One more season with us smoothes out the ruff edges and shows attained skill as opposed to just raw strength and size he relies on right now. Starts him out on the right track, where he goes from there is on him but if you can go from late 1st round to lotto, you should come back. I strongly believe he is a lotto guy, maybe over all #1 if he comes back, kid has all the tools, just needs to learn to confidently use them.

Reactions: IDUNK4HEELS
I definitely agree that he should come back and I think he will be a top ten pick if he does! The Bacot scenario is similar but Bacot wasn’t in any first round mock drafts (that I can remember) especially at this point in the year! If the kids sniff the first round these days, they are usually gone! Bacot came in thinking he would be a one and done and had no chance of getting drafted! He and his family were smart enough to realize this and that’s probably why he didn’t go! Bacot coming in as freshmen and thinking that he would be a one and done is why I’m worried he may leave after this year too! Hopefully we get both back but I’m not counting on Sharpe

Sorry but I don't agree our lack of a "skilled" 4, which for me does read more as a stretch 4 shooter, don't buy that was what Hicks was. Hicks IMO was similar to Brooks, both not bad at the mid range with Brooks being a bit better positional defender inside the paint.

Our problem and what we are so missing is scoring from the 3 spot and poor guard play, specifically point guard play. The lack of scoring from the 3 spot is allowing the lane to get clogged up making inlet passing really difficult and we are not screening real well to free up better position. Bigs have to fight for position and at times we do, watch Sharpe fighting for position, watch Bacot in some recent games (not vs Clemson). Our PGs seem to really struggle in timing the pass to the big man, big man works to get position he needs to get the ball in position to finish, not some pass to his feet or in to the teeth of a double. Now Walton has really helped our spacing since entering the starting line up and teams now know better than to double off of him but they will double down off our wings spot and point. Lack of pure shooting from those spots is allowing that.

No, we do not have that 4 that stretches the floor with the ability to shoot from beyond the arch but really, tell me the last time we did have that guy? Other than that deal of Roy putting PJ in at the 4 spot, we really have had a guy out of the 4 spot that was a knock down shooter and we all know that PJ was not a real 4. Roy wanted Hurt, he wanted Zaire, he has gone after several stretch 4s, he just hasn't got them and we have won nattys without them. WE have won nattys with sweet shooting 3s and PGs that limited TOs and hit open shots consistently. When Theo struggled as a shooter we facilitated much more thru him than we do now thru leaky and that freed Joel up to hunt his open looks but leaky isn't Theo.
Luke Maye? 1st team all ACC, 3rd team ALL American shot 50% from 3 in 2018. Maye was a stretch 4 in every way, but he was more importantly a SKILLED four. He could shoot it, dribble it and post it. That is what this team lacks.
I am in complete agreement with you on Leaky though. I was hoping against hope he would be a more dynamic offensive player but he is certainly not.
You can build a team and have a Leaky type player starting but the other 4 spots have to be perfect so to speak.
In 2005 ehen Jackie averaged around 6ppg we had May inside and 3 other dead eye shooters on the court together which allowed Jackie to just be the defensive stopper and ball mover on offense.

Luke Maye? 1st team all ACC, 3rd team ALL American shot 50% from 3 in 2018. Maye was a stretch 4 in every way, but he was more importantly a SKILLED four. He could shoot it, dribble it and post it. That is what this team lacks.
I am in complete agreement with you on Leaky though. I was hoping against hope he would be a more dynamic offensive player but he is certainly not.
You can build a team and have a Leaky type player starting but the other 4 spots have to be perfect so to speak.
In 2005 ehen Jackie averaged around 6ppg we had May inside and 3 other dead eye shooters on the court together which allowed Jackie to just be the defensive stopper and ball mover on offense.

Yeah, will give ya Luke but Luke was not (while a recruit) known as the level of "stretch 4" that UNC would typically go after, he developed in to that and was known as a shooter for sure as a recruit but there was very little thought that he would one day be as important to us as he was. Frankly, not sure we would have ever got him had it not been for his being a legacy guy. Actually Henson was considered more of a potential stretch 4 than true 4 or 5 when being recruited but as we saw he was not a stretch guy. Roy tends to take the guys that could be or become stretch 4s, guys that would maybe be 4s on other teams and make them wing 3s, Cam & JJ are 2 examples. Roy does not love his big men to be outside, Hans for example could hit with some range but Roy needed him inside for rebounding position.

Now truth is, I do think we have a stretch 4/5 guy on roster right now in Kessler but that is not going to show much this season. I do think Roy will let him show more range in future seasons than most of our bigs that came is considered to be good shooters but we will have to see how much.

Reactions: tarwhiz
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT