ADVERTISEMENT

Graduation Rates

Nov 14, 2018
There was a new report out today. It didn't surprise me to see Boston College at the top in football, its part of their tradition, and I was disappointed at how low our graduation rate is. If Fedora can't do better than this on the field, in the classroom, or in the scandal dept., why keep him?

With that said, I was shocked to see Clemson's high graduation rate. I remember the Frank Howard days, this is definitely not their tradition. Maybe I'm wrong and Dabo is doing everything right, but I suspect they are doing something to pump up those rates artificially while competing at the top nationally. Does anyone know anything (as opposed to merely suspecting)?

There was a new report out today. It didn't surprise me to see Boston College at the top in football, its part of their tradition, and I was disappointed at how low our graduation rate is. If Fedora can't do better than this on the field, in the classroom, or in the scandal dept., why keep him?

With that said, I was shocked to see Clemson's high graduation rate. I remember the Frank Howard days, this is definitely not their tradition. Maybe I'm wrong and Dabo is doing everything right, but I suspect they are doing something to pump up those rates artificially while competing at the top nationally. Does anyone know anything (as opposed to merely suspecting)?
The question that matters: "If Fedora can't do better than this on the field, in the classroom, or in the scandal dept., why keep him?"

Reactions: AncientTarheel

The majority of the players were recruited before Fed's time. It's for players who were freshman from 08-11. Basketball was near the bottom as well because of all the transfers.

It’s easy for D1 athletes at a school like clemson to graduate. They have practically unlimited access to tutors, first access for registration, and their own advising department that knows how to place them in programs/courses that they can easily complete.

And I can pretty much assure you that no clemson Professor (outside of humanities) wants to be responsible for a football player being ineligible. They’ll do everything they can, within the rules, to ensure that doesn’t happen.

You won’t see any football players in engineering, biology, or economics classes...

Reactions: ticket2ride04
It’s easy for D1 athletes at a school like clemson to graduate. They have practically unlimited access to tutors, first access for registration, and their own advising department that knows how to place them in programs/courses that they can easily complete.

And I can pretty much assure you that no clemson Professor (outside of humanities) wants to be responsible for a football player being ineligible. They’ll do everything they can, within the rules, to ensure that doesn’t happen.

You won’t see any football players in engineering, biology, or economics classes...
There are a few. Not many, but the few exist.

There are a few. Not many, but the few exist.

The only athlete I’ve had in one of my classes literally slept through every class and he wasn’t even a football player.

You’re right, there are a few but it’s rare. Even rarer still for it to be a major contributor on the football/basketball teams. Golf or rowing is a different story

Well, I can see that. But then, why don't ours graduate at that rate, whoever recruited them. I think what we're saying is that the bar is low for D1 athletes. And UNC doesn't even meet that low standard. It's embarrassing...

Well, I can see that. But then, why don't ours graduate at that rate, whoever recruited them. I think what we're saying is that the bar is low for D1 athletes. And UNC doesn't even meet that low standard. It's embarrassing...

I agree. But those stats aren’t current. Idk what the rate is now but hopefully it is higher.

Reactions: AncientTarheel
ADVERTISEMENT