ADVERTISEMENT

Great MJ story about 1997 UNC Team (N'Diaye)

Saw that over at Tar Heel Times Hoop Stories with Marc J. Spears.
Funny but dang Michael cold too.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
MJ was and still is a Stone Cold Killer! His killer will and total hatred of losing were his strongest traits! Mahktar just never knows when to shut that mouth!

N’Diaye was the worst of the worst. Leave him on the bench and start Brendan Haywood the entire 1997/1998 season and UNC cuts down the nets. No doubt.

Reactions: Psychward4
I have become addicted to stories where MJ took down (insert trash talker here) or "took it personally" - good fun to see a new one for me here with some UNC involvement! Thanks for the share OP

Reactions: iwish and TPFKAPFS
Sorry but I’ve never heard the story as to why UNC fans dislike Makhtar so much. What’s the story (or stories) there?

IIRC he also was accused? maybe thrown out of a game? for allegedly spitting on a player in-game while on the court.

Just didn't act with any class, respect, or anything like what Dean / Gut expected. Somehow it was a miss having him on the team I think. Not sure, but I bet Dean and Gut regretted having him on the team.

But you do see some past players hanging with him, like a good friend. So maybe its hard to know the whole story. That story above about popping off to MJ, though - hilarious though - in that dumb cocky kid (with no reason to be) had no idea how hard MJ would own him- with MJ playing at even 25% ability he'd crush Makhtar.

IIRC he also was accused? maybe thrown out of a game? for allegedly spitting on a player in-game while on the court.

Just didn't act with any class, respect, or anything like what Dean / Gut expected. Somehow it was a miss having him on the team I think. Not sure, but I bet Dean and Gut regretted having him on the team.
That could all be true, but it's hard to hate this guy.

91dd5e57589995d9cc2dc9445c22b650.jpg

the whole story was that he spit in the Utah players face because he called Ndiaye the N word. a day later Ndiaye apologized and recanted the accusation. the Utah player remained adamant that he was spit on even after the fact.

Reactions: DSouthr
the whole story was that he spit in the Utah players face because he called Ndiaye the N word. a day later Ndiaye apologized and recanted the accusation. the Utah player remained adamant that he was spit on even after the fact.
Not taking up for Maktar but it was one of those heat of the moment things that happened when the spot light was on. His run in with MJ, he was new to UNC, did not really understand the UNC family, and he quickly learned to not mess with Mike. Mike LOVED it when he felt disrespected, it fueled his fire, he fed off of that. The thing with Mike was, if you ever disrespected him in his mind, you were just always going to be his target! It was not enough for Mike to own you with his game, he wanted to own your mind, he wanted you totally defeated, that is a mark of greatness BTW, Larry Bird was the very same way.

Mahktar did something very stupid in a very public place but he really does seem to love being a Tar Heel! Many have underestimated MJs killer mentality and he probably felt safe since he was in street clothes lol

Last edited:
Reactions: DSouthr
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT