ADVERTISEMENT

Greetings from Tallahassee

Aug 19, 2019
I was really looking forward to the buzz around our game on saturday, which had a sneaky 2nd weekend feel since you guys had been playing so well. I'm curious at this point how you feel your team will respond to the loss against Marquette. Because of the youth, I can see it being the type of loss that becomes two losses rather easily.

Obviously, the interior strength of Carolina is always a concern. The first game, we were able to outrebound you by the smallest of margins. Gray, Barnes, and Koprivica are critical for us as far as keeping control of the boards. We are down some players right now, with Walker, Ngom, and Osborne all questionable at best to play on Saturday. If classic Carolina comes out and creates transition opportunities then this game could get really fun as far as the level of play.

We didn't have Barnes the first game, and he has really turned it on recently, so I'm interested to see his impact on the game, especially when he is guarding someone like Love.

Anyway, we can never be comfortable playing the Heels, expecting a good game and hopefully a springboard to finishing the season strong. Two regular season championships in a row is so surreal for our fanbase, most can't appreciate how far our program has come. Good luck the rest of the way

Depends on which UNC team shows up. We have one team that combines an efficient interior game with timely outside shooting that wins by 10 and another team that literally cannot hit the side of a barn and plays with the basketball smarts of a middle school team that loses by 20. I'm hoping the former takes the court because I've seen the latter too many times this year.

your team is gonna beat us like a red headed step child (apologies to any rhsc that might be reading.) We cant make 2 ft shots from our bigs. 6-9, 6-11, 7-1 dudes that cannot just power through and dunk the dang ball against inferior talent and size. We are soft. Our psyche's are shaken. We have no leader on the court. We cant shoot. We have a SF that doesnt want to shoot from 3 feet away from the basket and instead passes to the back of the head of the 7-1 guy, who is assuming the SF is gonna shoot, and is getting into great rebounding position. On Leaky's dunk off of the long rebound, you could see the indecision in him. He was WIDE open, a drop step from 2 points and was still looking for someone to pass to. We can pull out a win every once in a while because the "other" team decides to not make their wide open 3's.

On what planet is this game even gonna be close. Oh cuz we have a pretty good coach. We have good talent that at times steps up and can be competitive. Occasionally we make 3's. And if we want to play in the post season, we need 2 out of the last 3. FSU, Syracuse, Dook. We shall see.

On what planet is this game even gonna be close.
Even in a COVID year, home court can still be an advantage. We are only one game over .500 on the road, although we have won our last two but admittedly against very subpar competition.

The free throw shooting thing is a very good point. If it does get physical inside, the team with the edge there may have the ultimate factor to winning in hand.

Your team shot pretty good from 3 the first game against us, it might be that opponent does something for your team to generate the focus they need.

I almost feel bad for FSU fans. They finally have a couple good teams and it's during a shit era of basketball and coincides with a pandemic. But yeah, they should whip us this weekend. I don't think any of us really care anymore. Let's just get this year over with and get back to UNC basketball next year after we've shed some dead weight.

I almost feel bad for FSU fans. They finally have a couple good teams and it's during a shit era of basketball and coincides with a pandemic. But yeah, they should whip us this weekend. I don't think any of us really care anymore. Let's just get this year over with and get back to UNC basketball next year after we've shed some dead weight.
Yeah, last year was a real gut punch. This team just has to not have a positive test otherwise it would be a real unceremonious end

Spring football is almost here.

Reactions: TarHeelMark
If you have one should that excels at the dribble drive you should win by 20

If you have one should that excels at the dribble drive you should win by 20
We have some guys that can do it, but it isn't a team strength. We do have Gray who has really learned how to attack the basket and not pick up charges after 2 years of struggling with it. Walker is not a great driver as far as ball control but once he gets a head of steam he can finish around the basket.

I fully expect this to be a good game, wouldn't be crushed if we lost because it still is Carolina. I'll be pretty ecstatic with a comfortable win, but happy with any kind of win since I expect that we'll get a good effort from your team

We have some guys that can do it, but it isn't a team strength. We do have Gray who has really learned how to attack the basket and not pick up charges after 2 years of struggling with it. Walker is not a great driver as far as ball control but once he gets a head of steam he can finish around the basket.

I fully expect this to be a good game, wouldn't be crushed if we lost because it still is Carolina. I'll be pretty ecstatic with a comfortable win, but happy with any kind of win since I expect that we'll get a good effort from some of the players on your team

edited for accuracy

They do NOT speak for me! I fully expect to see a UNC team that plays with purpose and effort this weekend. I expect a game that goes to the wire and for us to gut out a hard fought win! I think we match up well against FSU and much will depend on how we start the game! Inconsistency has been our defining ID so far, but I expect us to click at some point! We have often followed dud performances with maximum effort and I hope the trend continues!

We have no leader on the court.
Yeah, this seems to be a problem. Who comes closest to being a leader on this team?

Which raises the obvious question, who will be the leader next year?

If Caleb returns, will he have adapted to PG well enough to become that leader? Are we seeing any signs of that now that were near the end of this season?

On what planet is this game even gonna be close. Oh cuz we have a pretty good coach.
If you started watching UNC last year, you wouldn't even say that.

Were/are the 2020 and 2021 seasons flukes, or the new reality of Roy's waning years?

Both years look unusual. Not just injuries last year and the pandemic this year, but also because both rosters were heavily laden with newcomers (both frosh and transfers) that we needed to rely on right out of the gate.

That said, it also seems true that we have been less hurt by the pandemic than most teams. Until just recently, we weren't missing very many games, and Roy filled the gaps 3 times that I recall (yielding a 2-1 record). As far as I know, we've had normal, uninterrupted practices.

Next season we'll have few newcomers, shouldn't need to rely on either of them, and (hopefully) the pandemic will be on it's way out. Returning frosh like Kessler and RJ should be a lot better. If we lose Sharp, Bacot and Love, we won't have as much talent, but we also won't see 3 or 4 freshmen on the floor at the same time and probably won't start any frosh. Besides, we probably won't lose all of those guys.

I'm not too worried yet, but if we don't see a solid recovery next year, I will be.

Leadership is the most glaring weakness of this team! It is one of the things a coach can't fix that we suffer from! When peeps like Platek and Brooks have to be your leadership you will have a problem since both are suited to being Robins not Batmen!

But I do find it hard to believe that peeps really think Roy has something to do with our lack of success!!! Patently ridiculous to me! So as Roy and DES both have said multiple times; if we keep almost everyone and add in some targeted additions and then make a run to the title next year-will Roy be a good coach again? Having as many titles lately as ratty and Slimy combined isn't good enough, wow we are an impatient generation of "fans", but certainly not "Family"

I will support the team no matter what happens on the court since my fandom is not solely driven by Ws. I will support Roy until he WANTS to go because I appreciate what he has done for my beloved U, but that is just me!!!

They do NOT speak for me! I fully expect to see a UNC team that plays with purpose and effort this weekend. I expect a game that goes to the wire and for us to gut out a hard fought win! I think we match up well against FSU and much will depend on how we start the game! Inconsistency has been our defining ID so far, but I expect us to click at some point! We have often followed dud performances with maximum effort and I hope the trend continues!
I agree that you guys pose a threat. A lot depends on how we shoot from outside. If we are making 3s, most teams can't beat us. I know everyone can say that, but our offense has been so efficient, that if that is also the case, we are going to score 85 or more. We also had 8 different guys make a 3 against UVA, so we don't have to depend on just a few guys to be the threat from outside.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
Unfortunately I saw this kind of outcome as a legit possibility. 3rd road game in a row, against a squad that was hurting and needed a big win, it isn't that surprising. We did some rally uncharacteristic things, which is partially a credit to Carolina and partially the fact that 2 of our better players were limited in practice the last few days. Definitely saw a lot of growth on your team and obviously Kessler was the difference for you today. The biggest thing this impacts is our seeding on the national scale which I really thought could have been at 2 after this game and some of the other results.

Really good fortune to have the attendance restrictions lifted right before this game ;)

Unfortunately I saw this kind of outcome as a legit possibility. 3rd road game in a row, against a squad that was hurting and needed a big win, it isn't that surprising. We did some rally uncharacteristic things, which is partially a credit to Carolina and partially the fact that 2 of our better players were limited in practice the last few days. Definitely saw a lot of growth on your team and obviously Kessler was the difference for you today. The biggest thing this impacts is our seeding on the national scale which I really thought could have been at 2 after this game and some of the other results.

Really good fortune to have the attendance restrictions lifted right before this game ;)
Florida State still best team in ACC. CAROLINA is so frustrating, but when they are ON!!!!! WOW the potential.

I enjoyed your commentary in this post, welcome back anytime. Enjoy discussing College basketball with knowledgeable fans. Good luck!

Thanks for being reasonable. It is so rare to be able to speak with an opposing fan without them becoming trollish! FSU will carry the ACC torch in the big dance and I love how you guys play! I am understandably giddy with the win, but I recognize that FSU would most likely beat us if we played a 7 game series! I believed we would play hard but had no idea Kessler would break out like that. I fully expected to see this type of play next season from him. Good Luck to your team and if UNC can't win, I will be cheering for FSU and Hamilton to get a Natty!

Really quite a maddening game last night, for both teams I'm sure. Definitely felt like this game helped our mental preparedness heading into next week. We will definitely have some battles over the next few years so looking forward to seeing those. Next year, we will hopefully have 5 7 footers on our team so maybe that will even us up a bit on the rebounding.

Good luck to you guys in the tourney, I can definitely see some higher seeds sweating if you're the 7 or 8 in their bracket. If your guards come to play, you can beat anyone.

Reactions: dadika13
FSU does well against us because they junk up the game when on defense.

And I mean that respectively, not as an insult. We could not figure out how to run an offense in the first half, not in the last 4 minutes of the 2nd half, with FSU mucking it up with their big men.

Really quite a maddening game last night, for both teams I'm sure. Definitely felt like this game helped our mental preparedness heading into next week. We will definitely have some battles over the next few years so looking forward to seeing those. Next year, we will hopefully have 5 7 footers on our team so maybe that will even us up a bit on the rebounding.

Good luck to you guys in the tourney, I can definitely see some higher seeds sweating if you're the 7 or 8 in their bracket. If your guards come to play, you can beat anyone.
I still like your team, just not as much as I did say 1-2 months ago. I feel like some of your old( past years) offensive ineptness has shown again lately. Your defense though is top not as we couldn't run much of any offense. Good luck to you going intuo NCAAT.

Last edited:
FSU does well against us because they junk up the game when on defense.

And I mean that respectively, not as an insult. We could not figure out how to run an offense in the first half, not in the last 4 minutes of the 2nd half, with FSU mucking it up with their big men.
I would never take that as an insult because that is what our defensive philosophy is supposed to look like.

Going into next year, we're going to have to figure some other defenses out. We're going to likely have 5 7 footers, 3 or 4 of which will get significant playing time. We should resemble you guys as far as lineups are concerned in stretches. Some of them are more of the Nowitzki prototype instead of the maulers you guys have down low, but we won't be able to rely on the all switching philosophy we've been using if we have two of those guys on the floor at the same time. I expect we will come up with some good stuff but Ham has proven to have one of the best defensive minds in the game in his tenure here

I still like your team, just mot as much as I did say 1-2 months ago. I feel like some of your old( past years) offensive ineptness has shown again lately. Your defense though is top not as we couldn't run much of any offense. Good luck to you going intuo NCAAT.
I sorta agree, we've had a couple guys regress. A big change is MJ, who is dealing with knee tendinitis. We was unconscious for several games this year, but he is struggling to make that impact at this point. Also, Evans confidence is really lacking, I'm hoping he has a game tonight where he can get some stats to help him regain some confidence. Our starts in each half have been the main culprit lately, and he has been basically a black hole in terms of offensive impact.

But, we've never had a guy like Barnes, and I'm hopeful that he has some sort of transcendent tournament and takes us somewhere we've never been.

I sorta agree, we've had a couple guys regress. A big change is MJ, who is dealing with knee tendinitis. We was unconscious for several games this year, but he is struggling to make that impact at this point. Also, Evans confidence is really lacking, I'm hoping he has a game tonight where he can get some stats to help him regain some confidence. Our starts in each half have been the main culprit lately, and he has been basically a black hole in terms of offensive impact.

But, we've never had a guy like Barnes, and I'm hopeful that he has some sort of transcendent tournament and takes us somewhere we've never been.
Are you worried about Barnes health? He didn't look the same after his fall last night. I really like him, just not sure he scores enough to lead a deep run like say a Cade Cunningham or back in the days Melo or a Danny Manning. Big Gray may be your best bet to score at high levels, and Walker is good if they continue to overlook his traveling violations. Dude walks a lot with the ball.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT