ADVERTISEMENT

Heels Face Michigan in the ACC/Big ? Challenge!

TPFKAPFS

Hall of Famer
Feb 17, 2006
We are facing Michigan for the third time in a few years. At least we get them at home and puke is finally playing a true road game at Ohio State! I need someone to explain how they decide the matchups to me! I thought it was based on end ranking from the previous year. I can't believe UofM and UNC would match up based on last year so I'm confused! Do they use the projected rankings for next year? If so, that seems a silly metric because it is pure speculation! Do they even try to balance it out or is it putting the TV friendly matchups out there for marketing like the Big Dance?

Game = Dec 1 on ESPN!

Do they use the projected rankings for next year? If so, that seems a silly metric because it is pure speculation! Do they even try to balance it out or is it putting the TV friendly matchups out there for marketing like the Big Dance?

"Typically, match-ups are selected for their expected interest in the game meaning higher profile teams are chosen to play each other to enhance television ratings for ESPN."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ACC–Big_Ten_Challenge

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
Thought so! I could swear they said when they were creating this that the matches would be based on standing in the respective conferences! I really thought the first few were done this way, but they seem to have let go of all pretense recently! I love it no matter what and UNc isn't afraid any way. As long as they rotate the home and away fairly, I'm down! It is worth it just to see puke play a non-conference true road game once every few years!

I know one thing TP, there will not be one vacant seat in the Dean Dome. I expect the Heels to pull that one out in a close one.
We are facing Michigan for the third time in a few years. At least we get them at home and puke is finally playing a true road game at Ohio State! I need someone to explain how they decide the matchups to me! I thought it was based on end ranking from the previous year. I can't believe UofM and UNC would match up based on last year so I'm confused! Do they use the projected rankings for next year? If so, that seems a silly metric because it is pure speculation! Do they even try to balance it out or is it putting the TV friendly matchups out there for marketing like the Big Dance?

Game = Dec 1 on ESPN!

Had season tix for years. Now I have connections that can get me select seats. Had a great one in the ticket office, but my wife, who hates bball, went to a game with me one day and for some reason had trouble with the young lady who was giving me unused player tix lol!

Thinking about re-upping the season tix!

Reactions: Steat and Heels5150
Had season tix for years. Now I have connections that can get me select seats. Had a great one in the ticket office, but my wife, who hates bball, went to a game with me one day and for some reason had trouble with the young lady who was giving me unused player tix lol!

Thinking about re-upping the season tix!
That's funny my friend!

I had a situation where one of by best friends in life (mid-level Rams member) invited me to a game. It was against Kentucky when UNC won a thriller in the early 90's with King Rice and Rick Fox on the team. We had some decent seats, but just before the second half started we moved down to some vacant seats right off the floor directly across the court from Dean Smith and the team. Dean kept staring at us the entire second half. It turned out that we were sitting in reserved player seats. We were sweating it out because we thought Dean was going to have the ushers kick us out of seats. Rick Pitino was Kentucky's coach walked directly by us after the game was over and he was pissed. My Rams friend sent me a short clip of the game several months ago and pointed us out in the stands.

Nice! Few things better than a close victory at the DES! Crowd and energy are over the top! I was at the games when we came back again st Wake and FSU . Down over 20 in both games! Priceless!

Nice! Few things better than a close victory at the DES! Crowd and energy are over the top! I was at the games when we came back again st Wake and FSU . Down over 20 in both games! Priceless!
Yep, the "wine and cheese" crowd coined my FSU guard Sam Cassell. I watched that game on the tube. You probably had some wine and cheese after the game...lol

• Haha
We chanted, "Peanut Head" all game long! Didn't have any cheese! A friend of mine who was a Wake Grad said to all of us, "I will treat you all to drinks to console you after this whipping!" (in the first half!). He got really quiet during the comeback and when we won.....we made him honor the offer of drinks. Dude was angry for a year!

Game = Dec 1 on ESPN!
I believe it works this way, they take a look to determine what team looks to be the harder team and they assign them to UNC. Then they look for the biggest name team in the big 10 that may be looking at a slide and if they are not completely sure that team will slide they hand them to duke at duke but if they are convinced they can beat that B10 team duke will play them on a neutral court if there is any way they can get away with it.

I believe it works this way, they take a look to determine what team looks to be the harder team and they assign them to UNC. Then they look for the biggest name team in the big 10 that may be looking at a slide and if they are not completely sure that team will slide they hand them to duke at duke but if they are convinced they can beat that B10 team duke will play them on a neutral court if there is any way they can get away with it.
I see Coack K commented that he is disappointed that they did not match him up with Indiana at Bloomington for his final season.

Kinda surprised they didn't now that I think about it. It would have been a built in storyline for TV.

Reactions: DSouthr
I bet he does want to play Indiana, lol! OSU is projected top 3 and Indiana is 8 or worse in the Big! I bet he is also disappointed that the game will not be played at Madison Square! ratty just can't help whining and ducking good teams! He will punk out to his last breath!

Reactions: dtodd4475
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT