ADVERTISEMENT

Hello all Tarheels and a few questions?

Duo

Jul 23, 2006
Haven't posted here in a long time and I was sorry to have missed the Clemson game as I was in the hospital having a double hernia operation (not fun). But Sunday when I woke up I was surprised and elated to see your Clemson score. Wow! Sooooo close! So, here are a few general questions for y'all:
  • It looks like you are in the midst of a major turn around. How do you like what Mac Brown is doing over all?
  • You came really close to knocking off the No.1 team in the nation. What were the main reasons for that? Offense? Defense? Special Teams? Excellent coaching? A few exceptional players? Total team effort..........or what?
  • Tarheel recruiting: Looks great! To what do you attribute the turn around in recruiting?
  • Sam Howell: General thoughts on his abilities. Are there others you would like to see getting PT?
  • Prediction for the season and how will the team be looking for next year? (graduations, leaving early, injuries, etc.)
Anyway, here is to an incredible year and a real a real launch pad for 2020. Go Heels!

Haven't posted here in a long time and I was sorry to have missed the Clemson game as I was in the hospital having a double hernia operation (not fun). But Sunday when I woke up I was surprised and elated to see your Clemson score. Wow! Sooooo close! So, here are a few general questions for y'all:
First off @Duo, hope the surgery went well.
  • It looks like you are in the midst of a major turn around. How do you like what Mac Brown is doing over all?
  • We are indeed. Mack is still very charismatic and has fans more enthused and optimistic than they've been in quite a while.
    [*]You came really close to knocking off the No.1 team in the nation. What were the main reasons for that? Offense? Defense? Special Teams? Excellent coaching? A few exceptional players? Total team effort..........or what?
    A little bit of all of those. Mack brought in a good staff that has gone back to basics and improved our fundamentals(much fewer penalties, better blocking, and much improved tackling). The DC from Army has been particularly impressive, he is innovative and adaptive during the game. I think he may eventually be our next head coach.
    [*]Tarheel recruiting: Looks great! To what do you attribute the turn around in recruiting?
    Our last coach had alienated many NC high school coaches. Mack immediately made it a top priority to rebuild the bridges that were burned. His great UNC teams of the past were composed of 80-85% NC kids and he wants to "own the state" in recruiting as he did when he was last here. Looking at our 2020 class, you can see he is well on his way.
    [*]Sam Howell: General thoughts on his abilities. Are there others you would like to see getting PT?
    Sam has been incredible, the first true freshman to start at UNC. He beat out two very talented RSF in Ruder(currently out indefinitely with a foot/ankle injury), and Fortin(who has since entered the transfer portal). Sam has shown poise and leadership well beyond his years, with decent running ability and a strong accurate arm, making him a special player who is only going to get better. Unfortunately, we are down to two walkon backups at QB until Ruder returns so we must pray that Sam stays healthy.
    [*]Prediction for the season and how will the team be looking for next year? (graduations, leaving early, injuries, etc.)
    Most of us were expecting a 5-7 or 6-6 year, with the possibility of winning 7 games. Our current SOS is top five nationally, the 3 teams that beat us are 15-0). Fed left some nice talent but we are very thin at key positions and we are learning new schemes on both sides of the ball and adjusting to a completely new staff, so we knew there was going to be a learning curve. We have improved by leaps and bounds(especially the fundamentals), but there is still a lot of work to do.
Anyway, here is to an incredible year and a real a real launch pad for 2020. Go Heels!
Thanks buddy. I am as optimistic about football as I've been in a looooooong time. Looking forward to watching our program grow into an annual division contender, with an opportunity to play Clemson for the ACC title.

Last edited:
Reactions: shun1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT