ADVERTISEMENT

Here's a question about Mack and his staff

Looks like Bateman is out as DC. Everyone better delete those posts about Mack being too nice of a guy and UNC doesn't care about football etc.
If that happens, the obvious questions are who replaces him and how many position coaches stay. I have absolutely no idea who he could replace him with. I'm guessing Bly would stay for recruiting purposes. To me, this would also signal that the offense is safe, because I don't see Mack completely starting over on both sides of the ball. My hope would be that Searles goes too, but I don't see that happening now. I'd also like to see a new S&C coach, but I'm not sure if Mack really cares about that.

If that happens, the obvious questions are who replaces him and how many position coaches stay. I have absolutely no idea who he could replace him with. I'm guessing Bly would stay for recruiting purposes. To me, this would also signal that the offense is safe, because I don't see Mack completely starting over on both sides of the ball. My hope would be that Searles goes too, but I don't see that happening now. I'd also like to see a new S&C coach, but I'm not sure if Mack really cares about that.
I agree with all that. But... Bateman sucks! The Duke's bowl was just an embarrassment beyond words.

Bly isn't going anywhere. Mack loves him and the 757 ties are too strong to merit a change. Mack loves staff continuity so I think DC will be the lone change going into the fall season. As far as Searles, I believe Mack thinks more of the problem were the players rather than the coaching. Thought that before multiple OL opted to leave rather than stay for this season (basically were pushed out), in addition to grabbing the Miami center.

I'm not seeing any official word that Bateman is out as DC.
I haven't seen anything official. Apparently some people who run TOS (their versions of AJ) are saying that's what they are being told. Obviously that's not an official announcement, but sounds like more than just a rumor.

I feel like big staff shake-ups around signing day were super common in the past (sadly for players who liked certain assistants).

you-can-do-it-rob-schneider.gif

The rumor is some friction surfaced between JB and the staff that would seemingly make it difficult to move forward with him as DC.
You'd think this type of convo would be one-way. Bateman had the 100th worst D or something. How can he push back on that unless he says Mack isn't supplying enough roids... Making kids spend too much time on academics, etc?

You'd think this type of convo would be one-way. Bateman had the 100th worst D or something. How can he push back on that unless he says Mack isn't supplying enough roids... Making kids spend too much time on academics, etc?
Maybe Bateman wanted to replace some of the staff or maybe he wanted to change some things with the scheme and Mack didn't think it would work. I don't think we'll ever really know. It just seems like it wasn't a good fit for everyone involved.

Maybe Bateman wanted to replace some of the staff or maybe he wanted to change some things with the scheme and Mack didn't think it would work. I don't think we'll ever really know. It just seems like it wasn't a good fit for everyone involved.
Good point

No experience as the sole play caller, and it is probably the HC's D plan, but otherwise plenty to like.
That Saban tree has turned out pretty good though. Might be worth it just because of that. Not sure it could get much worse.

I like the idea of tapping into the saban coaching tree. Seems to work for everyone else who does it

Reactions: tarheel0910
Lanning was the hire, if we could have gotten him, but i think he knew he was getting a HC offer.

isn't it strange how people suddenly comes up with ideas to improve things right when the know they're getting fired

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT